Food shopping guide for the Llangollen Canal

Michael Donning

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, fatmanblue said:

The Aldi in Whitchurch is very new and very close to the canal. Getting to it is trickier though. We walked from the Arm along Chemistry.

Ok thanks I was hoping it would be easier for hauling beer back.

32 minutes ago, Timx said:

I see on google maps there is an Aldi opposite McDonald s , but it doesn’t show the actual building, is it easily accessed from canal, where would best place be to moor.? Cheers

I moored by bridge 32, there's a path that takes you up on to the Wrexham Road and it's less than a 5 minute walk to the Spar.Good to know about the Aldi,thanks.

Cheers, For replies,could I also ask, are those finger pontoons at lion Quays usable, as were booked in for a meal , but as I will be hanging around that area for a few days also, can they be used to wind there.

28 minutes ago, Timx said:

Cheers, For replies,could I also ask, are those finger pontoons at lion Quays usable, as were booked in for a meal , but as I will be hanging around that area for a few days also, can they be used to wind there.

They were usable 3 or 4 yrs ago, it was a bit shallow so I don't know what they are like now, it is perfectly possible to wind a boat there as well, the next spot is just up towards Llan before the poachers pocket not that far away

33 minutes ago, tree monkey said:

They were usable 3 or 4 yrs ago, it was a bit shallow so I don't know what they are like now, it is perfectly possible to wind a boat there as well, the next spot is just up towards Llan before the poachers pocket not that far away

When we went in October last year they were usable but very shallow. I resorted to using a pole to prod down to find the deepest one. From memory the ones on the left end (when looking from the tow path) were better

3 hours ago, tree monkey said:

Stopped there late last year (by road) and the landward end looked very shallow but seemed to deepen quite quickly. Nose in and try it would be my advice. The middle ones looked the best.
Wasn't overly impressed with the food at lunch time.

Edited by Graham Davis

30 minutes ago, Graham Davis said:

Stopped there late last year (by road) and the landward end looked very shallow but seemed to deepen quite quickly. Nose in and try it would be my advice. The middle ones looked the best.
Wasn't overly impressed with the food at lunch time.

Yeah, it's one of those places that buys the more expensive frozen food from bookers and charges substantially more than it should, style over substance 

• Haha 1