Grumpy old man chunters on (and not in a short way)

Arthur Marshall

Featured Posts

Boat was getting old and so were we. At age 70,gave up active boating. One accident on the Autherley Flight and a very close shave on the Wigan Flight. Do miss the boat though. Still enjoy walking the towpath. Visitted the Wey and Arun recentley.

Before this year, I've been unable to understand those who give up. But I didn't really enjoy last year's trips much, and while the Leicester ring was good to revisit, I had company on that cruise and I enjoyed that more than the actual boating. My wife wants us to keep the boat, so we will. Probably - as long as the engine repair isn't prohibitive. But the next person who tells me Listers are wonderful because they last forever is going into the canal... although it's probably a sequence of crap engineers as much as anything, not one of whom has seemed to manage to finish a job without me having to call yet another in to put right the bits he didn't bother to attach properly. That's another thing I found depressing . 

This feeling is a common one by anybody who has been on the canals for a long time.

when I first started in 1964 with a 19ft plywood cruiser there was very little them and us and nearly everyone was boating because of their love of boats and or the canals themselves. Many of us got involved in the restoration movement believing we were helping to preserve the past for the future and not realizing quite how it would turn out. There were very few “shiny “ steel narrow boats about and still a few working boats on the Grand Union who all seemed happy to see us.

Over the  years we finished up with 2 ex working boats that we used to carry coal and camping boating so they could earn their keep and occasionally we ran into unhappy boaters who didn’t understand why we needed to moor in certain places or because we held our course at bridgeholes. These boats were simple things with 12 volt systems and gas or coal stoves and I can never remember  running an engine when stationary.

the canals were in a poor state but there were still some area engineers and staff with experience and they kept things going. After every trip we would sent a report about rubbish in bridges, shallow places, broken gear etc and sometimes we got a result apart from one gentleman in the West Midlands who we called Mr No.

Things really started to change in the 80’s with the arrival of the time share boats with the gold anodised windows who seemed to have no knowledge of the past or how the system had come about. Money was starting to come onto the canals and boats were being built with gold plated taps in the bathroom and being fitted with washing machines and dishwashers but not big enough water tanks so there are always boats hogging water points.

There were a few people with Honda generators who ran them on the bank but generally in reasonable hours. 

In 1990 we had a 50 footer built on part of a station boat hull and went to the Northern waterways and deep joy it was wonderful but as we were still working it was difficult so came back to the shroppie and realized how busy it was becoming with rows of moored boats everywhere so we took her to Ireland for a couple of years which was great especially the pubs and the singing. The canals were very quiet and although the Shannon was busy with hirer's in peak summer there was plenty of room. The first mate however was frightened on the big lakes so we brought it back and then the shear number of boats and the queuing for locks really got to us so we sold up and went over the water and brought an old dutch barge in Belgium which we cruised around in for 18 years enjoying both the busy commercial waterways and the quiet Burgundy canals. No engine running there as lots of places have power available either free or couple of euros a night.

we are now approaching 80 and I was finding the maintenance work hard and madam not walking to well so regrettably have sold our last boat and are now ashore and for myself it’s very hard but I know it’s sensible. It’s ok to sit outside the Nelson with a pint watching the antics in the lock though. I remember an old boatman leaning on the bottom lock bridge telling me on Saturday afternoon watching the boats it better than the tele and he’s right.

Dont let the others get you down try and find some nice places to stop and enjoy the things that have kept you on the canals for 30 years.

Gotta say Arthur has hit the head on the nail here. Too many inconsiderate people about. We recently moored in Ripon on the 48hr town moorings. These moorings accommodate 4 approx 57ft boats. Boat on the end moored for 4 days (!) but one bollard along from the end (why?), effectively reducing the capacity to three 57ft ish boats and a cruiser size boat.  Same in York and Boroughbridge - git-gaps between most boats. I did ask people to shuffle up which they did but with a few grumbles. The generators and engine running after 8pm is common but TBH doesn't bother me too much, if it did I would risk it and ask.

The worst aspect of it all is CaRT's crap management and 'wait until navigation is stopped' policy. Nearly every lock along the Calder navigation has a gate with just 1 working paddle - a stoppage waiting to happen and reading these posts this seems very common now. Leaking gates and cills mean Pennine waterways are usually short of water. Planning a holiday cruise has become a nightmare wondering if you can get to your destination and worse still wondering if you can get back. Money is being spend on new signs despite promises, tow-path upgrades for cyclists and walkers (we noted the upgraded Selby canal towpath had just one small group of five visitors on it on a summer's afternoon.

Frangar is right selling up is not the answer. The boating organisations seem to be ineffective and losing support because of it. Maybe a single issue organisation like the NBTA for those of us who don't continuously moor is required otherwise where is it all going to end?

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I've corrected that for you.

Or

National Boats always Tied up Association

I was tempted to add that it may be known by other names, but you have saved me from doing so!

I don't know much about them, but they do not always get good press here. I assume that some of our members are their members too?

Just now, Athy said:

I was tempted to add that it may be known by other names, but you have saved me from doing so!

I don't know much about them, but they do not always get good press here. I assume that some of our members are their members too?

Maybe - but they probably won't admit to it.

3 minutes ago, Athy said:

They do manage to get a lot of press though - good or bad depends on your view - and a lot more than the so-called boating organisations. When did you last read about the IWA complaining about lack of maintenance or blue signs?

It's a good point made. To have just one main association, with collective views and aims. Thus becoming more 'powerful' and 'responsive' in meetings and other organisational decision making discussions. I do feel that the boaters are no longer considered within CRTs decision making. Whatever your usage of the canals. Does that make sense as I hadn't thought it through to the end when I started. I will not be seeking a position in this appointed association. 

10 minutes ago, Midnight said:

They do manage to get a lot of press though - good or bad depends on your view - and a lot more than the so-called boating organisations. When did you last read about the IWA complaining about lack of maintenance or blue signs?

In my view, and only my view, the IWA lost it's way years ago. I was chatting to a guy at Thrup (Oxford) way a couple of years ago. He canvassed  me to join the IWA. When i refused and explained that, as in the past, they had lost their power to influence the running of the waterways, he was quite taken-aback. It probably just requires new blood to kick start it again. Maybe not, perhaps too late.

Edited by Nightwatch

12 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

To have just one main association, with collective views and aims.

The RYA is extremely aggressive in defending the rights of 'coastal' boaters, sits on committees in parliament and represents UK boaters in Europe.

The RYA is the national body for dinghy, yacht and motor cruising, all forms of sail racing, RIBs and sports boats, windsurfing and personal watercraft and a leading representative for inland waterways cruising

They have the infrastructure, knowledge base and skills already in place, it would seem a logical step for them to have an 'Inland Waterways Branch' (Division, or whatever)

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

Gotta say Arthur has hit the head on the nail here. Too many inconsiderate people about. We recently moored in Ripon on the 48hr town moorings. These moorings accommodate 4 approx 57ft boats. Boat on the end moored for 4 days (!) but one bollard along from the end (why?), effectively reducing the capacity to three 57ft ish boats and a cruiser size boat.  Same in York and Boroughbridge - git-gaps between most boats. I did ask people to shuffle up which they did but with a few grumbles. The generators and engine running after 8pm is common but TBH doesn't bother me too much, if it did I would risk it and ask.

The worst aspect of it all is CaRT's crap management and 'wait until navigation is stopped' policy. Nearly every lock along the Calder navigation has a gate with just 1 working paddle - a stoppage waiting to happen and reading these posts this seems very common now. Leaking gates and cills mean Pennine waterways are usually short of water. Planning a holiday cruise has become a nightmare wondering if you can get to your destination and worse still wondering if you can get back. Money is being spend on new signs despite promises, tow-path upgrades for cyclists and walkers (we noted the upgraded Selby canal towpath had just one small group of five visitors on it on a summer's afternoon.

Frangar is right selling up is not the answer. The boating organisations seem to be ineffective and losing support because of it. Maybe a single issue organisation like the NBTA for those of us who don't continuously moor is required otherwise where is it all going to end?

Whilst it annoys me to see expensive towpaths being built next to a worn out bridge or lock, I think a lot of towpath improvements are not wholly paid for by CRT but by grants from the likes of sustrans.

1 minute ago, Chewbacka said:

Whilst it annoys me to see expensive towpaths being built next to a worn out bridge or lock, I think a lot of towpath improvements are not wholly paid for by CRT but by grants from the likes of sustrans.

I think you are partially correct but one lockie told me that money was being diverted from maintenance to towpath improvement in our area.

1 hour ago, Midnight said:

The worst aspect of it all is CaRT's crap management and 'wait until navigation is stopped' policy.

So over the past few years there's been a major breach  on the T&M that flooded Northwich, another on the Middlewich link that took a year or two to repair,  Marple locks out of action for a year or so and now Whaley Bridge, New Mills and Stockport are in danger of flooding because the dam is collapsing, the reservoir being emptied and presumably the Peak Forest and the Upper Macc running out of water.

I think those of us who have grumbled for years about lack of maintenance and inspections are entitled to the odd "I told you so" moment. Not that it's anything but bloody depressing.  Or does any good.  The trouble with "management", in almost every industry these days, is that those supposed to be managing neither know how to manage, now much about what they are supposed to be managing (apart from their expenses, pension funds and ability to move on to another job about which they know nothing).

ETA PS, it doesn't matter anyway. it's not happening in London.

Edited by Arthur Marshall
  • Greenie 1

We gave up in 2004 sold up and emigrated. 8 years later we bought a boat for when we retired. Started boating again and realised the later we did it the worse it would get. Hence initially 3 months on the canal and 9 working overseas. Eventually retirement happened and here we are.

But we made the big caveat we will not live on the boat nor by canalside. Now its in the house till we cant stand it then a bit of boating til we have enough of the things that upset.

we find that makes us appreciate the boat. 

Fortunately by sacrifices we can just afford a small cottage ( cheapest house in the village) and the boat. 

If it came to the crunch it would be back to let the house and live on the boat.

yes its not what it was in the 80s 90s etc but to be honest that was not sustainable, and there were some bad bits, homicidal fishermen, towpaths impassible and dangerous places. That seems reduced with better towpath access etc.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The RYA is extremely aggressive in defending the rights of 'coastal' boaters, sits on committees in parliament and represents UK boaters in Europe.

The RYA is the national body for dinghy, yacht and motor cruising, all forms of sail racing, RIBs and sports boats, windsurfing and personal watercraft and a leading representative for inland waterways cruising

They have the infrastructure, knowledge base and skills already in place, it would seem a logical step for them to have an 'Inland Waterways Branch' (Division, or whatever)

As a member, I thought that they did ( https://www.rya.org.uk/get-afloat/power/Pages/canal-boats-and-inland-waterways.aspx  ) :huh:

15 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

I think at a very 'low-key' level.

I am not aware that they :

Have ever been to any of the C&RT meetings ?

Have lobbied anyone about the canals ?

Have their legal-team represent any CCer, (or anyone) ?

I could be wrong.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

I think at a very 'low-key' level.

I am not aware that they :

Have ever been to any of the C&RT meetings ?

Have lobbied anyone about the canals ?

Have their legal-team represent any CCer, (or anyone) ?

I could be wrong.

They have been making representations on the subject of red diesel if I recall correctly.

Just now, Wanderer Vagabond said:

They have been making representations on the subject of red diesel if I recall correctly.

They have - for many years - very aggressively and have been on the Government advisory panel, and taken the Belgium Government to task after prosecuting UK boats in Belgium waters (for having 'red' in their tanks), and, got them to back down.

I would suggest any 'spin off for the Inland Waterways red diesel' will be as a result for their efforts to support their 'lumpy water' members.

It may be a useful exercise to ask them what support they do give the Inland Waterways.

The RYA has over 110,000 personal members and 1,500 affiliated clubs and class associations. The latter represent some 350,000 active sailors throughout the UK.