Wannabe visiting Bristol/Bath

Domjons

Featured Posts

Hi,

My girlfriend and myself have been very interested in the lifestyle of living on a narrowboat for a while. We currently live in oxford but hope to live near Bristol or Bath. I’ve been doing my homework but still have a lot to figure out, my main issue being mooring.

Have learnt that marinas are very hard to find a spot, especially without already owning a boat. And that CCing and not moving regularly isn’t exactly allowed, but that less “official” mooring options exist (I imagine I am hoping to find one like that). 

Reading other threads about this same area, I saw a user recommend actually exploring the area and talking to people who are living there rather than finding somewhere online.

So this Sunday I’ll be taking myself down there to do exactly that, and was wondering if anyone on here was already living somewhere nearby. If they could spare 20 mins to talk to me about the life and the best way to find mooring, I’d be very grateful. 

Other than that, any advice would be amazing but I’m sure I’ll find most of what I need in this topic.

cheeers x 

Edited by Domjons

My immediate thought is to be a bit wary about what you may be told if declaring yourself to be a continuous cruiser and mooring on the tow path comes into it. There is an organisation that a number of boaters down that way, and around London,  belong to that seems to  have an agenda that could get you into a lot of trouble with CRT if you believe what they may say. Otherwise you seem to be going about it in the correct way.

6 hours ago, Domjons said:

Hi,

My girlfriend and myself have been very interested in the lifestyle of living on a narrowboat for a while. We currently live in oxford but hope to live near Bristol or Bath. I’ve been doing my homework but still have a lot to figure out, my main issue being mooring.

Have learnt that marinas are very hard to find a spot, especially without already owning a boat. And that CCing and not moving regularly isn’t exactly allowed, but that less “official” mooring options exist (I imagine I am hoping to find one like that). 

Reading other threads about this same area, I saw a user recommend actually exploring the area and talking to people who are living there rather than finding somewhere online.

So this Sunday I’ll be taking myself down there to do exactly that, and was wondering if anyone on here was already living somewhere nearby. If they could spare 20 mins to talk to me about the life and the best way to find mooring, I’d be very grateful. 

Other than that, any advice would be amazing but I’m sure I’ll find most of what I need in this topic.

cheeers x 

I'd be interested in the rationale behind that. I would have thought that if you went to a marina, told them you plan to buy, say, a 60 foot boat and you want to rent a mooring from them, if you are paying for the mooring, why would they be bothered if you didn't actually have a boat? If you were trying to 'reserve' a mooring for when you do get a boat, that would be different since they aren't getting an income and the reservation is merely conditional (on you getting your boat), that would be difficult.

What will however be difficult in the area you want is the 'residential' marina mooring that you would need, as I seem to recall they are a bit like hen's teeth.

Bristol and Bath are special places so you need to do a lot more "on the ground" research. Bath is very very busy with boats, you can visit but you can;t stay there for long. Bristol is often voted the best city in the UK to live in. Moorings are expensive and like hens teeth. You can visit (and pay a very high price) but again can't really stay unless you get really lucky and blag a boatyard mooring. Waiting list for standard Bristol moorings is probably more than a lifetime. A marina mooring on the river between Bath and Bristol is the most likely option.

We will be in Bristol in about 3 weeks time so will miss you. I expect to pay a lot of money for a one week mooring.

It can be done.... CCing on the K&A between Bath and Devizes and with a bit of luck a winter mooring in Bristol, but its not easy.

...............Dave

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that all? 

Things must be getting easier up that end of the K&A then!

Dunno, you're the K&A man, I'm just a Northerner these days. Just got to Newbury, heading your way. D'ya fancy boating down to Bristol with us?????

.............Dave

8 hours ago, Domjons said:

Hi,

cheeers x 

Are you actually interested in only living on a narrow boat or are you interested in boating/cruising? If you are not really interested in boats you need to consider all the downsides to living full time on a boat; winter weather, toilets, water, gas etc etc et. Don't allow yourself to get seduced by some of the

articles that are appearing in the press. The Reality of year round living on a narrow boat is very different.

If, however, you are really interested in boats and the boating life then your idea of visiting locations may consider is a good one but speak to as many people as you can and don't forget to ask for a warts and all opinion.

Good luck.

Howard

Howard

Edited by howardang

3 minutes ago, dmr said:

Dunno, you're the K&A man, I'm just a Northerner these days. Just got to Newbury, heading your way. D'ya fancy boating down to Bristol with us?????

.............Dave

Don't think I can really, I have sale of two houses under way and ground-to-roof renovation of another in full swing, so need to stay around here to manage that leetle lot. Plus the boiler repair work seems to be turbocharged right now which is weird given the recent weather.....

Mebbe come up to devizes with you then review the work....

Devizes would be good. Need to re-visit the Waterfront at Pewsey Wharf and also investigate the new incarnation of the Barge at Honeystreet.

After a winter on the Rochdale the lock free long pound is very inviting.

.................Dave