Brass cleaning tips!

Featured Posts

Rust converters have phosphoric acid in them. Phosphoric Acid is an excellent descaler for loos and taps and cleaner for stainless steel, brass, copper and Crome. Without turning it black like hydrochloric acid does.

Coca Cola also has Phosphoris Acic in. Drop a two pence piece in a small amount and leave it for an hour.  

Edited by Nightwatch

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Rust converters have phosphoric acid in them. Phosphoric Acid is an excellent descaler for loos and taps and cleaner for stainless steel, brass, copper and Crome. Without turning it black like hydrochloric acid does.

Coca Cola also has Phosphoris Acic in. Drop a two pence piece in a small amount and leave it for an hour.  

Be careful about extrapolating this - 2p coins are not made of copper (or brass)!

When the value of scrap non ferrous rocketed 10 years or so back, the eyes of covetous scrotes alighted upon mushroom vents and tiller extension bars.

That's when I resorted to painting them, they have remained so ever since and I regret not doing it 36 years ago.

I could have got gotten a lot more boating in.

21 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I've heard of this but never tried it. Presumably it doesn't have to be the expensive stuff? Tesco Value, or similar, at 17p (?) for 2 litres would work as well.

Does it also work to get rid of limescale?

36 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I've heard of this but never tried it. Presumably it doesn't have to be the expensive stuff? Tesco Value, or similar, at 17p (?) for 2 litres would work as well.

Does it also work to get rid of limescale?

I don't think it'll be strong enough for removing scale. Hope not. I was taught by instructors that Phosphoric acid was the friendly acid with regards to tarnishing of Crome and stainless steel.

On 09/08/2019 at 12:06, Johny London said:

Or my old favourite - brown sauce!

I second this - My gran told me that if you want to "bring back" brass then the best thing is brown sauce. Slather it on and leave it for a bit then with a toothbrush or something similar nothing too scratchy give it a good scrub into all the nooks and then wipe it off with kitchen roll and clean with your regular metal cleaner. 

I hear people say tomato ketchup but I've tried it a couple of times and it's never as good as HP.

Edited by Tumshie