Sealing a cable entry point

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Keeping Up said:

Actually there is quite a large ventilation grille in the control column near the back of the engine, but the air from it used to go straight to the engine intake leaving the rest of the bay, especially near the front of the engine, to get rather warm. The bilge blower takes air from outside and blows it on the alternator at the front of the engine; by the time the air has reached either the engine inlet or the vent grille it has cooled things quite considerably. The positive pressure is therefore quite small but it is positive rather than negative and so the air will get out wherever it can.

Bloomin' nuisance it chooses the blinkin' cabin, eh! Sods law. :)

• Haha 1

29 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Yes but what if I want to add another wire at some point in the future?

Dig it out and use some more, its not that hard, a screwdriver would do it. You may even be able to pierce it and push the cable through the hole.

On 04/08/2019 at 11:55, Johny London said:

Well that's something at least , though as I said mine just come through a jagged hole - it was like that from brand new and of course came with a certificate of conformity. The bss inspector didn't pick up on it either (mind you, I think he gave up looking when he realised it was a "new" boat because surely everything "must" be ok already?).

Never fails to amaze me the sloppy standards and generally accepted low quality of all things boat. 

Collingwood?

It's not all boats where the new owner has to go around fixing everything, generally just the budget ones.

1 hour ago, ditchcrawler said:

Spray foam

That's what I used. All the cables going through are in conduit so the spray foam hasn't penetrated every gap but it's done a pretty good job of sealing it up. The cables will slide through the conduit if you need to get one out. The only downside is there difficulty of getting another cable in. 

47 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Yes but what if I want to add another wire at some point in the future?

You make a hole though the foam with a screwdriver.

22 minutes ago, Johny London said:

I thought I heard that spray foam would attack the insulation on cables? Sounds ok otherwise.

Polystyrene attacks PVC and makes it brittle, then any shock or vibration and the insulation falls-off.

Bare wires touch and things go "bang"

We used to manufacture a 'non-migratory' PVC cable that could be used alongside Polystyrene.

PVC Cable.jpg

PVC Cable2.jpg

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

Oh that's really good to know cos I've added a few wires here and there that could well be against the spray foam insulation! 

Yes spray foam insulation is polyurethane which doesn't really react with polyvinyl chloride cable insulation. Polystyrene reacts with the plasticiser in PVC which is why it goes brittle.