Frustration at Watford and Foxton.

johnmck

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

More subtlely, wait until they take it off then put your own on. Along with a little notice on it saying "navigation closed, luv, CRT". 

Its not enough though without ashing the gate as well, they leak so badly that the level slowly ebbs away even if no boats use the lock. When the lock is open I keep going down there to make sure all gates are shut. Twice someone as gone down and left those Twyford bottom gates open.!!!!

Bad leakage on bottom double loak gate mitres is usually started by boats coming up seeing the gates ajar and forcing them open with the bows, too lazy to get off and open them properly. This begins the wear and rot on the vertical edges of the mitres and gradually encroaches further onto the mitre surface.

2 hours ago, bizzard said:

Bad leakage on bottom double loak gate mitres is usually started by boats coming up seeing the gates ajar and forcing them open with the bows, too lazy to get off and open them properly. This begins the wear and rot on the vertical edges of the mitres and gradually encroaches further onto the mitre surface.

I am sure that I can remember during the working boat days when some lock gates had wooden sacraficial boards fitted to their mitreed edges to accomodate damage by boats forcing them open.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 hour ago, David Schweizer said:

I am sure that I can remember during the working boat days when some lock gates had wooden sacraficial boards fitted to their mitreed edges to accomodate damage by boats forcing them open.

I have long advocated replacing part of the wood mitre faces on double gates with a steel insert.  A length of 18" would suffice.

Yes, it would let a bit more water past that properly fitting wood inserts, but it would let a darned sight less than those damaged by boaters who don't know how to steer.

George

52 minutes ago, furnessvale said:

I have long advocated replacing part of the wood mitre faces on double gates with a steel insert.  A length of 18" would suffice.

Yes this strikes me as the obvious and simple solution. A more elaborate solution would be a gate latch on the end of the balance beams holding the gates closed and forcing the boater to go up to the gate to unlatch it and open the gate. 

6 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally the opposite. I think I'm classed as a 'moaner' as you put it and my reading is the vollies do it because they like working the locks. 

Thing is, I like working them too, so when I arrive at a lock in my boat the vollie and I are in instant competition about who is gonna do it. I feel I should win because:

1) I pay CRT handsomely to use their locks and the vollies pay nothing

2) Its my boat in the lock so if I sink it, I suffer the consequences whereas if the vollie sinks it, I'm still the one who suffers the consequences. The vollie just goes home at the end of his shift as normal. 

You're a proactive moaner, that's an entirely different category ?

16 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Is that a Good Thing? I can't decide!!

I think it's a good thing.  There is only one boat I'm aware of that get's mentioned in the Vlocky training (and I think that's just an old wives tale).  They are in the "I've been boating for 30 years category".

I maintain that it's not how long you've been boating, it's what you've learned in the time that you have that's important.

• Greenie 1

1 minute ago, GRLMK38 said:

I think it's a good thing.  There is only one boat I'm aware of that get's mentioned in the Vlocky training (and I think that's just an old wives tale).  They are in the "I've been boating for 30 years category".

I maintain that it's not how long you've been boating, it's what you've learned in the time that you have that's important.

Ohhhh. I’ve been boating for 30 years.....?????

My favourite Watford incident just has to be the Canaltime boat from Market Harborough a few years ago whose crew had been told that the way to Braunston was to go down Watford staircase and turn right. They took the information too literally and turned sharp right immediately at the foot of the staircase itself and merrily sailed into the side pond there. They got a surprisingly long way before becoming well stuck.

To add a Foxton anecdote, the first time I went down, in the 60s, when we arrived we could see that the levels in some of the locks were very low so we set about letting some water down to sort it all out. Suddenly there was a shout from the side pond; in the middle of it was a JCB with the lock keeper on it, and now surrounded by water. He'd not seen any boats for several days so was taking the opportunity to do some dredging!

• Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/07/2019 at 20:22, johnmck said:

One would hope that after the recent deluges, the restrictions could be eased a tad. Less pressure on all and a more relaxed passage.

They say be careful what you wish for... in this case you may have had your wish granted (at Watford).  

I have been informed that restrictions have been lifted and flights at Foxton and Watford will no longer be locked (until the next drought).  I believe restrictions at  Buckby and Braunston may also have been lifted. 

6 hours ago, Hotspur said:

I have been informed that restrictions have been lifted and flights at Foxton and Watford will no longer be locked (until the next drought).  I believe restrictions at  Buckby and Braunston may also have been lifted. 

All still listed as restricted on the CRT stoppages website.

6 hours ago, Hotspur said:

I think you will find that Foxton is still locked, however, may well have returned to normal Summer hours.

33 minutes ago, Big Bob W said:

All still listed as restricted on the CRT stoppages website.

Indeed, but then the same GU stoppage pages also report that Soulbury Locks are still closed because of a sunken boat - which was nearly a month ago now. 

3 minutes ago, Keeping Up said:

Indeed, but then the same GU stoppage pages also report that Soulbury Locks are still closed because of a sunken boat - which was nearly a month ago now. 

There are so many old stoppages on there it’s ridiculous. Needs a damn good sort out. 

7 hours ago, Hotspur said:

We're now at Foxton and the restrictions continue.......with so much rain forecast for tomorrow we thought we'd check out the Bridge 61 pub instead of going down.

Edited by wandering snail