Frustration at Watford and Foxton.

johnmck

Featured Posts

7 minutes ago, johnmck said:

One would hope that after the recent deluges, the restrictions could be eased a tad. Less pressure on all and a more relaxed passage.

Given that CRT seem incapable of stopping the locks leaking down towards Leicester for the last 5 years I very much doubt it. 

We have spoken to quite a few folks who have had their holidays or weekends spoiled by this shortened locking hours. Not being able to get through 2 lock flights in a day limits drastically what can be a achieved in a weekend.

Last Sunday there were 16 boats below Buckby and 10 at the top waiting for opening.

Given that some boats will also have been locked in the flights, it is hardly improving CRT boaters satisfaction scores. .....especially when they stick the TV on and see a white smiley drone sailing over locks without wielding a windlass. 

• Greenie 1

12 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We have spoken to quite a few folks who have had their holidays or weekends spoiled by this shortened locking hours. Not being able to get through 2 lock flights in a day limits drastically what can be a achieved in a weekend.

Last Sunday there were 16 boats below Buckby and 10 at the top waiting for opening.

Given that some boats will also have been locked in the flights, it is hardly improving CRT boaters satisfaction scores. .....especially when they stick the TV on and see a white smiley drone sailing over locks without wielding a windlass. 

Ahh but the walkers/cyclists/fishermen only need to see boats in the background...they are just the “dressing”...

26 minutes ago, matty40s said:

We moored twixt Dunchurch and Braunston last weekend, in rural isolation, almost. We sat out the rain on Saturday , then had an early (for us) start on Sunday morn. We shot up Braunston locks, through the tunnel and onto the Leicester line, arriving below Watford at 1220. To be told then, that "you may not get up today", with three boats ahead of us, raises the hackles from the outset. For once, we had a schedule, Ali had to get home for ...

Work!

Or maybe the "restrictions" are no longer water related but vollie availability restricted, as if the locks were open normal summer hours they would need nearly double the volunteers. I have never seen so much water coming down Braunston locks as last Sunday!

Just my opinion!!

We passed through both the Watford and Foxton flights last month and I only have good things to say about the lockies.  They have to follow the (not always logical) CART water shortage rules and deal with the odd irate boater whilst moving as many boats as possible through the the flights. Yes, you might not get through as quickly as you wish, but I normally find that if you approach them in a helpful and friendly manner, they normally respond likewise.

I have never had any problems at Watford, but Foxton has been a different story. I remember working the Foxton flight with no red and white painted paddles back in the 1960's, operating a 70ft ex-working boat, I wonder how we managed without any passage problems. In recent years since the replacement of the full time lock keepers with volunteers, it seems that my experience of working these locks has diminished when measured against the few hours of training they have received. On two occasssions, I have insisted that I could get our boat up to the central pound well before any descending boats working under their instructions could get there, and in both instances managed to do so, much to their disbelief.

Edited by David Schweizer

Passing through Watford recently, I was following another boat down. As I waited in the lock above to draw the paddles after they'd left, I noticed that the top lock water level had dropped by a good few inches in only a matter of a couple of minutes. I mentioned this to the volunteer and he replied "oh yes a sieve would probably hold more water!".

Further down the flight where the locks seperate below the staircase, I offered to go and pull a paddle after the boat ahead had excited meaning my lock full of water would be put to use to fill the next rather than going over the wier... The volunteers reply was "oh well, you probably should but it'll be ok" and emptied the lock out anyway.

It is quite frustrating that 2 lock flights such as Watford and Braunston which are very close and should both be easily doable within a day, could possibly have to be broken up into 2 days due to the behaviour of the staff or volunteers. Speaking to another boater at Watford, I found that he'd given up his slot to a hirer who had demands on time to return the boat.

I was lucky... 6th boat in the queue at 10 o'clock means I made Braunston in time. However the volunteer was wandering about carrying a chain and padlock at only 2.15pm. 

32 minutes ago, Liam said:

Passing through Watford recently, I was following another boat down. As I waited in the lock above to draw the paddles after they'd left, I noticed that the top lock water level had dropped by a good few inches in only a matter of a couple of minutes. I mentioned this to the volunteer and he replied "oh yes a sieve would probably hold more water!".

Further down the flight where the locks seperate below the staircase, I offered to go and pull a paddle after the boat ahead had excited meaning my lock full of water would be put to use to fill the next rather than going over the wier... The volunteers reply was "oh well, you probably should but it'll be ok" and emptied the lock out anyway.

It is quite frustrating that 2 lock flights such as Watford and Braunston which are very close and should both be easily doable within a day, could possibly have to be broken up into 2 days due to the behaviour of the staff or volunteers. Speaking to another boater at Watford, I found that he'd given up his slot to a hirer who had demands on time to return the boat.

I was lucky... 6th boat in the queue at 10 o'clock means I made Braunston in time. However the volunteer was wandering about carrying a chain and padlock at only 2.15pm. 

Which is why it isnt working with volunteers.

Friend of mine, well known on here and very experienced boater was also told he probably wouldn't get down as the volunteer lockie and his volockie wife had a wedding anniversary  and table booked later. He said,  happy anniversary, but CRT state the opening hours, not your anniversary restrictions so I am going down as I have to be at work tommorow.

He was allowed passage ,and  had cleared the locks 1/2 hour before the official close time.

7 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

How does locking up the flights mud afternoon square with the public ‘right to navigate’?

There is no right of navigation on the canals, it was abolished years ago. :(

On 31/07/2019 at 15:17, Hotspur said:

Hi all, I’m one of the Monday VLK team at Watford and we share your frustration of waiting and queues however 2 hours + isn’t unusual at this time of year. Part of the current problem is that boats are ‘locked out’ of the flight from the previous day which means a queue from the start which has to be cleared first.  There’s no policy on the number of boats up/down which is generally based on the time of arriving at the top/bottom.  For example, on Monday we started the day with 4 going down and then 7 going up (using the pounds between locks 1 and 3 to ‘stack’ two boats). Luckily few boats were going down that day.  Wouldn’t it be great if 3 boats arrived at 1 hour intervals alternating between top and bottom ?

One of our key roles is to manage the queue and be as fair as possible to all with the aim of getting everyone through by the end of our shift.  Currently though it isn’t unusual for boats arriving at say 1.30pm to not get through. This is regrettable and none of us want to refuse entry but it happens.

As was mentioned by johnmck there does seem to be a reluctance on the part of some boaters to help others in emptying/filling locks to smooth/speed the passage of others (perhaps that is a reflection of the society of today) but for those that do assist it it most welcome.

As luck would have it we cleared all boats through the flight on Monday with none ‘locked out’. Long may it continue and we hope that rain comes so we can extend the hours again.

I’ll put my tin hat on now ?

^^^^ This is a very good summary of the situation.  The moaners tend to be the ones that think the Vlockies are there to provide a concierge service.

Whilst the closures are frustrating, the situation is not as bad as it could be as many boats are staying put and choosing not to pass through Watford i.e. Crick based boats (including me).  

More rain please!

12 hours ago, AliG said:

Or maybe the "restrictions" are no longer water related but vollie availability restricted, as if the locks were open normal summer hours they would need nearly double the volunteers. I have never seen so much water coming down Braunston locks as last Sunday!

Just my opinion!!

Not true, many of the volunteers are 'missing' the opportunity to work as it is something they do as part of their week.  That doesn't mean you would not be made welcome if you signed up though.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, GRLMK38 said:

The moaners tend to be the ones that think the Vlockies are there to provide a concierge service.

Totally the opposite. I think I'm classed as a 'moaner' as you put it and my reading is the vollies do it because they like working the locks. 

Thing is, I like working them too, so when I arrive at a lock in my boat the vollie and I are in instant competition about who is gonna do it. I feel I should win because:

1) I pay CRT handsomely to use their locks and the vollies pay nothing

2) Its my boat in the lock so if I sink it, I suffer the consequences whereas if the vollie sinks it, I'm still the one who suffers the consequences. The vollie just goes home at the end of his shift as normal. 

• Greenie 1

Having searched c&rt web site , there are no time restrictions at Watford locks, it still states opening times as 8am to 6.30pm.

so I’m confused as to what the current opening times are, going down them Sunday hopefully .

14 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Totally the opposite. I think I'm classed as a 'moaner' as you put it and my reading is the vollies do it because they like working the locks. 

Thing is, I like working them too, so when I arrive at a lock in my boat the vollie and I are in instant competition about who is gonna do it. I feel I should win because:

1) I pay CRT handsomely to use their locks and the vollies pay nothing

2) Its my boat in the lock so if I sink it, I suffer the consequences whereas if the vollie sinks it, I'm still the one who suffers the consequences. The vollie just goes home at the end of his shift as normal. 

I have always understood that the Voluntary Lock Keepers have no statutory authority, that they are there to assist the boater and should not operate paddles or gates without the expressed agreement of the boat steerer. Unless the rules have changed, they have no powers to allow, or prevent boaters from operating the lock themselves, although they may be expected to intervene if public safety is threatened by a boater's inapropriate operation of a lock.

Edited by David Schweizer

1 minute ago, David Schweizer said:

I have always understood that the Voluntary Lock Keepers have no statutory authority, that they are there to assist the boater and should not operate paddles or gates without the expressed agreement of the boat steerer. Unless the rules have changed, they have no powers to allow, or prevent boaters from operating the lock themselves, although they may be expected to intervene if public safety is threatened by a boater's inapropriate operation of a lock.

This is not always how it happens, as recounted many times on here by lots of different posters. 

As a single hander the approach that irks me the most as I come into a lock going uphill, is a vollie appearing over the gate and yelling at me the instruction "Stay on the boat, we're doing it for you. Instead of "Would you like any help with this lock?"

I wonder too about insurance. If a vollie sinks my boat, will CRT (or the vollie) pay out or do I have to claim on my own insurance? Will CRT (or the vollie) pay my increased future premia?

29 minutes ago, dunfixing said:

Having searched c&rt web site , there are no time restrictions at Watford locks, it still states opening times as 8am to 6.30pm.

so I’m confused as to what the current opening times are, going down them Sunday hopefully .

Watford Locks 1 to 7

Detail

From Date: 06/05/2019 09:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Water resources

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Leicester Line (Grand Union Canal)

Starts at: Lock 1

Ends at: Lock 7

Updates

13/05/2019 15:51

Update:

Levels within reservoirs feeding the Leicester Summit and Grand Union Mainline are lower than usual for the time of year following below average rainfall over the last eleven months.

In order to maximise the available water the Trust is taking the sensible precaution of locking targeted locks up overnight. This measure is intended to reduce the potential for water losses overnight and allow backpumps more time to transfer water from the Braunston Summit onto the Leicester Summit. The hours available for navigation are being further shortened with the aim of reducing feeds from reservoirs.

From the 3rd June, lock opening hours will be:

10am to 4pm

[last entry on the flight 3.15pm]

23 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Watford Locks 1 to 7

Detail

From Date: 06/05/2019 09:00

To Date: On-going

Type: Navigation Restriction

Reason: Water resources

Is the towpath closed? No

Closest waterway: Leicester Line (Grand Union Canal)

Starts at: Lock 1

Ends at: Lock 7

Updates

13/05/2019 15:51

Update:

Levels within reservoirs feeding the Leicester Summit and Grand Union Mainline are lower than usual for the time of year following below average rainfall over the last eleven months.

In order to maximise the available water the Trust is taking the sensible precaution of locking targeted locks up overnight. This measure is intended to reduce the potential for water losses overnight and allow backpumps more time to transfer water from the Braunston Summit onto the Leicester Summit. The hours available for navigation are being further shortened with the aim of reducing feeds from reservoirs.

From the 3rd June, lock opening hours will be:

10am to 4pm

[last entry on the flight 3.15pm]

Thanks for the info, still find it difficult to find on c&rt web site

We've had big trouble here at the top of the river Stort due to no rain and any reserves upstream of us exhausted, feeders not feeding. Our main problem is Twyford lock 2 which bottom gates leak very badly. Twice in the last week or so they have been locked and ashed to try and hold a level here. They are locked again until tomorrow. I only hope they leave them locked off until we get significant rain.  Once they open that lock our level gradually reduces until almost always in the middle of the night we stard grounding and tilting over as the water drains away. It is very deep here the backwater below Southmill lock 1 and is very worrying. We have been up in the middle of the night trying to push boats of as the level falls which is pretty dangerous in the dark. I was marooned on my boat for nearly two days last week because I had to push of so far out my long plank was very dodgy to use.  One person has here has twice paid £75 per night staying at a hotel.   Cart please leave that lock chained off tomorrow we need sleep really badly here. From Twyford lock to B. Stortford navigation end is only just over a mile which is really nothing much when there are facilities, shops and boatyards downstream of us, like Sawbridgeworth, Harlow ect without attempting to get up here where boats are likely to get trapped above the stoppage.   :)

5 minutes ago, bizzard said:

Twice in the last week or so they have been locked and ashed to try and hold a level here. They are locked again until tomorrow. I only hope they leave them locked off until we get significant rain. 

You could always add your own padlock and chain to the gates, in addition to the CRT padlock and chain... 

?