Grey water discharge

NicolasL

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Theo said:

I suggested this in a post when we encountered the duckweed on our way to Keadby. 

The idea is to have a duckweed fuelled steam narrow boat .  The first lot of duckweed would need to be died by some means but thereafter the drying would be provided by waste heat from the steam condensers.  I did not add that the whole process can be enhanced by chucking the ash out of the back.  This provides fertiliser to  enhance the growth of more duckweed so that more of such boats can use the technology.  A further benefit of the ash will be that it will float about in the water column busily blocking up any leaks that it finds.

There is a gas fuelled power station at Keadby, right by the canal. I wonder if the duck weed could be skimmed off the surface and fed in to a set of burners?! It grows all along the long pound to Thorne and the water current feeds it down to Keadby. Acres and acres of duckweed growing area. If the idea has any practicality, then this would be the place to do it.

Jen

2 hours ago, Theo said:

I suggested this in a post when we encountered the duckweed on our way to Keadby.

The idea is to have a duckweed fuelled steam narrow boat .  The first lot of duckweed would need to be died by some means but thereafter the drying would be provided by waste heat from the steam condensers.  I did not add that the whole process can be enhanced by chucking the ash out of the back.  This provides fertiliser to  enhance the growth of more duckweed so that more of such boats can use the technology.  A further benefit of the ash will be that it will float about in the water column busily blocking up any leaks that it finds.

...but....but what's my duck going to eat then?

56 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Wasnt there a plan to grow Water Hyacinths for biofuel once. 

I was told at a local aquatics centre that they’re no longer permitted to sell water hyacinths because they’re now considered an invasive organism. Same with the pond oxygenator elodia crispa. 

https://www.watersidenursery.co.uk/elodea-crispa-water-hyacinth-ban/

Edited by WotEver
Add the link

On 31/07/2019 at 10:19, Jen-in-Wellies said:

If a 3ml squirt of washing up liquid, fairly typical for a bowl full, is diluted in 1m3 of canal water, then the concentration goes down to 3ppm.

Don't confuse the OP with facts. but I'm interested in why you chose 1m² of canal water? There's a lot more canal that that per moored boat, even if they are stem to stern for miles!

4 hours ago, Machpoint005 said:

Don't confuse the OP with facts. but I'm interested in why you chose 1m² of canal water? There's a lot more canal that that per moored boat, even if they are stem to stern for miles!

A previous email mentioned 5ppm as being potentially harmful, so 1m3 of water was chosen so a 3ml dollop of fairy liquid already comes below that in only a cubic metre, before it is diluted further by the even greater volume around each boat. That and it made the sums easy!

Jen