Grey water discharge

NicolasL

Featured Posts

I may also add , that here in the states, that problem would not be addressed by the government ,UNLESS they could befit . Say, some large corporation with deep pockets to line congressmens pockets. No, it would be addressed by the locals it affects, with grass root committees to find and fix the problem. So maybe it will take the people that use and live on the canals to take charge. 

7 hours ago, NicolasL said:

It seems to be standard practice for boats to discharge grey water directly into the canal. Fairy liquid and many cleaning products are toxic to fish. This week we’ve witnessed thousands of fish dead in the Grand Union in West London. CRT is “investigating”.   Academic water quality research has shown that London canals are highly polluted and boat discharges have vastly increased in the past few years.  It seems that pollution from solid bow-to-stern temporary mooring is killing the canal and fish. 

Duckweed proliferates in phosphorous rich water.

What can be done?  

2CFFDB9F-A21F-44F1-A70E-3E07AD317C88.jpeg

6 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Don't mention fish !!!!!!!!!!!

I think you got away with it?

• Horror 1

I remember reading on here that the BOD (biological oxygen demand?) for milk was very high compared to other stuff that might be washed down the sink. I remember calculating that flushing 1 litre of 'going off' milk down the sink on a 10M wide canal, 3 ft deep, would take all the oxygen out of the water for 50-100ft of canal.....hence kill everything that need oxygen.

Who's been pouring milk down the sink then?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, jeff thompson said:

I think the research done in London may have been " tainted" to fit their needs.

Always a good idea to check who funded a particular piece of research as well as the reputation of the researchers. The actual results come quite low down the list!

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies
  • Greenie 1

4 hours ago, jeff thompson said:

Interesting posts. Let me add a bit. my father, having lived on the Chesapeake bay, here in the US, working with the crab boats for awhile, learned that the algae was caused by the heat AND , neighboring farm run off. Lots of fertilizers causing growth , not allowing oxygen to reach the young crabs / oysters . 

I think the research done in London may have been " tainted" to fit their needs. High concentrates of algae usually is caused by high amounts of nitrogen . 

One tiny thing needs pointing out.  Duckweed is a vascular plant not an algae, otherwise the principle is applicable.

7 hours ago, Jerra said:

This is typical of mrsmelly's I am always right attitude be it toilet type, Brexit and now washing up liquid.

I have used then for years (decades actually) they do work many of my friends use them and they work.  Hundreds have used them at our holiday let not one has complained or left any sign they used their own.   I am amazed, talking of the let how many don't use the diah washer and prefer hand washing.

I have used Ecover for years n years and it works a sight better than Fairy L.  The FL gives loads of foam that's hard to get rid of.  Ecover gives much less foam, which I think is a good thing.

• Greenie 2

Just now, carlt said:

Not according to Nanette Newman it doesn't. 

What does she know about it, then?

Never heard of her.

It is also worth bearing in mind that hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid.

I've never heard Ecover make that claim...

Mind you I've been on the boat for a week and left my razor at home so my face is as rough as a Badger's bum so the bar is set pretty low.

8 minutes ago, carlt said:

It is also worth bearing in mind that hands that do dishes can feel as soft as your face with mild green Fairy Liquid.

I've never heard Ecover make that claim...

Mind you I've been on the boat for a week and left my razor at home so my face is as rough as a Badger's bum so the bar is set pretty low.

Thanks for that enlightening post.  I forgot the charger for my electric razor and didn't have time to shave this morning anyway.  We set off from the Rose of Lancaster betimes and reached Thomas Telford basin at 1830.  'Twas an energetic day's boating.

4 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

Maybe you are younger than us

Not younger, but TV deprived until I reached the age of 14.

2 hours ago, carlt said:

Mummy, why are your hands so soft?

Because I’m a model dear, you don’t think I’d actually do any washing up, do you?

6 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Mummy, why are your hands so soft?

Because I’m a model dear, you don’t think I’d actually do any washing up, do you?

Hey... Don't you diss Nanette. 

She was a Stepford Wife so of course she did the washing up. 

• Happy 1

Speaking of pretentious marketing, the cynic in me always deep down believed that all the "eco" and "bio" labelling on cleaning products was meaningless marketising. Are there any specifications that products must follow in order to be classed as "ecological"? And doesn't "bio" (at least as applied to washing powder) simply mean it contains enzymes that digest the food you spilled down your front? I don't think "bio" has anything to do with whether the product is "environmentally friendly" (whatever that means).

Bear in mind that all chemicals (yes, even "aqua") are toxic at sufficient concentrations. And indeed, some, like phosphates and nitrates, are actually too beneficial to some organisms - rather than toxic - causing algae blooms etc. I'm all for making small changes that will improve the quality of the water, but a lot of the conventional beliefs about pollution are just false. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl), for example, is not nearly as dangerous as people make out. It quickly breaks down into salt (NaCl) and water (H2O) when exposed to air. I reckon you could pour a bottle of bleach into the cut and it wouldn't harm anything that was futher than a few metres away. Of course this is an oversimplification, and I'm not suggesting anyone do this!

Indeed, I try my best to buy "environmentally friendly" products, we normally go for Ecover, but it is just so hard to know which ones are problematic and I hate to think that I get suckered into buying something just because some guy in a boardroom had the brainwave to put "eco" on the bottle while making no effort to actually ensure that the product caused less harm to the environment. What ingredients should be avoided? Can anyone give guidance as to which washing products to buy?

Edited by ivan&alice

1 minute ago, ivan&alice said:

Speaking of pretentious marketing, the cynic in me always deep down believed that all the "eco" and "bio" labelling on cleaning products was meaningless

marketising. Are there any specifications that products must follow in order to be classed as "ecological"? And doesn't "bio" (at least as applied to washing powder) simply mean it contains enzymes that digest the food you spilled down your front? I don't think "bio" has anything to do with whether the product is "environmentally friendly" (whatever that means).

Bear in mind that all chemicals (yes, even "aqua") are toxic at sufficient concentrations. And indeed, some, like phosphates and nitrates, are actually too beneficial to some organisms - rather than toxic - causing algae blooms etc. I'm all for making small changes that will improve the quality of the water, but a lot of the conventional beliefs about pollution are just false. Bleach (sodium hypochlorite, NaOCl), for example, is not nearly as dangerous as people make out. It quickly breaks down into salt (NaCl) and water (H2O) when exposed to air. I reckon you could pour a bottle of bleach into the cut and it wouldn't harm anything that was futher than a few metres away. Of course this is an oversimplification, and I'm not suggesting anyone do this!

Indeed, I try my best to buy "environmentally friendly" products, we normally go for Ecover, but it is just so hard to know which ones are problematic and I hate to think that I get suckered into buying something just because some guy in a boardroom had the brainwave to put "eco" on the bottle while making no effort to actually ensure that the product caused less harm to the environment. What ingredients should be avoided? Can anyone give guidance as to which washing products to buy?

Fairly liquid............Domestos...........Non bio Daz, they all work realy well.

1 hour ago, ivan&alice said:

Speaking of pretentious marketing, the cynic in me always deep down believed that all the "eco" and "bio" labelling on cleaning products was meaningless marketising. Are there any specifications that products must follow in order to be classed as "ecological"? And doesn't "bio" (at least as applied to washing powder) simply mean it contains enzymes that digest the food you spilled down your front? I don't think "bio" has anything to do with whether the product is "environmentally friendly" (whatever that means).

The Bio in the liquid we use is a trade name, rather than a description.  The reason we use it and previously ecover if that they are biodegradable whereas Fairy and its like seem to have long lasting effects.

In other words for the cynical and there are posts further down which show some to be, I feel it is better to use something which eventually breaks down rather than something which doesn't.

There may be other environmental advantages which I don't at the moment know.

Foot Note:   I remeber reading a statement by Ecover which said "The product is not considered harmful to aquatic organisms nor to cause long-term adverse effects in the environment.".