Inverter dead as as a dodo :(

Featured Posts

Hey,

I'm hoping to be proved wrong, but it seems i might have broken my inverter.

it's a Victron 12 800 and it's been running fine for a couple of years.

I've been cleaning up my cabin bulge after a huge leak and my last job in preparation for rust treatment/painting was to vacuum. 

So I plugged in my dyson and the inverter cut out after 10 mins or so.. I tried again and then it lasted about 30 seconds, The inverter then shut itself down, it tried to restart 30 seconds later and I heard the hoover (which was still set to on) start up and instantly cut out.

I am not on the boat to check the power rating of the hoover right now, but i can only assume it was consuming too much energy. A quick google says perhaps up to 1400w.

Now my inverter won't even turn on. My batteries are reading as 12.8 from both my solar controller and from a random gauge in the engine room (this reading was at night)

I'm hoping an £800 piece of kit hasnt been destroyed by James Dyson! I thought perhaps the inverter maybe puts itself into a safety mode to avoid being overloaded constantly.

Has anyone had a similar issue?

Thanks a lot,

James

If the sun was still out when you saw 12.8v, you may be ok, as the solar may have been giving you a voltage reading of power being put back in, not a state of charge.

I suggest obtaining a rechargeable vacuum that can be either charged up.at home, or slowly on the boat.

Continued abuse of said inverter, may well knacker, or have knackered it, you may be lucky

I have not touched anything yet as I don't partucularly know what I'm doing in regards to electrics. There is a megafuse between the batteries and the inverter but it's in a casing. So i don't want to open it up without knowing if it could be live somehow...

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

If the sun was still out when you saw 12.8v

Unlikely, Matty ;)

6 minutes ago, JCheetham said:

this reading was at night

Just now, JCheetham said:

I have not touched anything yet as I don't partucularly know what I'm doing in regards to electrics. There is a megafuse between the batteries and the inverter but it's in a casing. So i don't want to open it up without knowing if it could be live somehow...

It’ll be live, but only at 12V. Remove the cover and look at the fuse. It should be obvious if it’s blown. 

2 minutes ago, JCheetham said:

If you are lucky you will have just blown the megafuse.

I have had mine go when the other half decided to run her hairdryer on a hot setting.

The victron on-line manual for a current 800w inverter states it does have an internal 200A fuse, which is unlikely to have blown if you were taking 1400w, though it might so worth a check.  It also says that if it tries to restart when overloaded it will shutdown and must be switched off and on again to make it start, which I think you have done.

You should check the external fuses, but after that you need a multimeter.  If you are not sure of what you are doing then make sure it is disconnected before you open it up to check the internal fuse because if it starts up, 240v will possibly be exposed.

28 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

The victron on-line manual for a current 800w inverter states it does have an internal 200A fuse, which is unlikely to have blown if you were taking 1400w, though it might so worth a check.  It also says that if it tries to restart when overloaded it will shutdown and must be switched off and on again to make it start, which I think you have done.

You should check the external fuses, but after that you need a multimeter.  If you are not sure of what you are doing then make sure it is disconnected before you open it up to check the internal fuse because if it starts up, 240v will possibly be exposed.

Ah yes.. it also says it it fails to operate It could he in non fuctionality mode which requires removing the cable and putting it back in again. Is it safe to do that? Do I just switch the battery isolated off and then disconect the positive/ negative cables? Perhaps not after I get home from the pub tonight ?

1 minute ago, JCheetham said:

Do I just switch the battery isolated off and then disconect the positive/ negative cables?

Switching the isolator off, counting to ten and switching it back on should do the trick.  Don't start unbolting cables after the pub!

16 hours ago, TheBiscuits said:

Switching the isolator off, counting to ten and switching it back on should do the trick.  Don't start unbolting cables after the pub!

I don't think the isolater being on or off actually effects the inverter.. I think its direct to the bank (through a fuse)

would I just disconnect the inverter cables from the bank manually.. i can never remember the order to disconnect them/ re connect them..

Cheers

9 minutes ago, JCheetham said:

would I just disconnect the inverter cables from the bank manually.. i can never remember the order to disconnect them/ re connect them..

Just ensure it’s switched off, pull the fuse, count to ten, replace the fuse, turn on inverter. 

I'm no Tesla, but I think this means that I've just blown my mega fuse :) so is it 100% safe to just pull that fuse out by hand or will I blow up? One side is on the inverter the other is on my battery bank..

2 hours ago, JCheetham said:

I'm no Tesla, but I think this means that I've just blown my mega fuse :) so is it 100% safe to just pull that fuse out by hand or will I blow up? One side is on the inverter the other is on my battery bank..

Yes it’ll be fine. Ensure the inverter is switched off then swap the fuse, put the cover back on, and switch on the inverter. 

Oh, and don’t try and run your vacuum from it again ;)