Solar connections.

Bobbybass

Featured Posts

I am installing two 100w panels with a 20amp controller. 

The controller is inside just above my back steps. Under those steps is my 1500w inverter connected to the batteries with 70mm cables. 

My question is : rather than run a set of cables an extra couple of meters to the batteries, is there any reason why I could not connect the solar controller into the inverter terminals ?. The solar output would then run back to the batteries via much thicker cables.

Thank you !.

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

It would depend on what controller and inverter you have , and if you are wiring the panels i  series or parallel.

With decent kit, there shouldn't be an issue, however, some kit nowadays isnt very robust.

Err I can’t see what difference how you wire the panels will make to how the op connects the CONTROLLER to the batteries? 

3 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Err I can’t see what difference how you wire the panels will make to how the op connects the CONTROLLER to the batteries? 

Not just me then...

12 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

8 minutes ago, WotEver said:

Not just me then...

if the OP has a 24v battery bank it could make a difference, if the OP has a 12v battery bank and has the panels in series through a simple controller, it could make a difference, especially if it couldnt convert the 24v plus v to a 12v battery system.

Cheap Ebay chinese controllers and inverters don't make this easy for anybody, don't expect what you have to be replicated by the OP

My recommendation for solar is to wire direct from controller to batteries unless you have some system like the Victron Bluesolar integrated, and I do have reservations about that system too.

Edited by matty40s

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

if the OP has a 24v battery bank it could make a difference, if the OP has a 12v battery bank and has the panels in series through a simple controller, it could make a difference, especially if it couldnt convert the 24v plus v to a 12v battery system.

Cheap Ebay chinese controllers and inverters don't make this easy for anybody, don't expect what you have to be replicated by the OP

But how is any of that (which I don’t necessarily agree with anyway) relevant to whether he connects the controller output direct to the batteries or to the ends of the inverter feeds?

4 minutes ago, matty40s said:

12 volts.... parallel...nothing to do with converting 24 to 12 volts ?

Thank you all...subject closed.

Edited by Bobbybass