Best place to moor in Hinckley for Aldi (or other supermarkets)

Lily Rose

Featured Posts

On a previous trip up the Ashby I have trudged a mile up the hill to the Co-op in Market Bosworth for supplies.

This time I'm thinking I might try somewhere in Hinckley instead (or as well) before we head up to the more remote section of the canal for a leisurely stay.

Google Maps seems to indicate that Aldi is probably the most conveniently located supermarket (as opposed to a convenience store). However, it's not obvious to me where would be the best place to moor to access it and whether said place, wherever it might be, would be safe for an overnight stop (should we feel so inclined) or just for lunch and a quick shopping trip.

Or maybe there is a more convenient alternative for a supermarket (not convenience store) shopping trip?

I have tried the forum search but to no avail (perhaps my search parameters were a bit below par).

Can anyone advise please?

Ta.

The nearest walk is opposite Trinity Marina, the other option is near the Limekilns pub and walk up the A5....which does have a pavement on one side I seem to remember.....and at least you have a decent pub to come back to.

The Lidl is a Lidl further walk, best accessed from Trinity...walk towards town.

Edited by matty40s

Thanks Matty and Phil. I was thinking both of those but sometimes maps can be deceptive and also I wasn't sure how pedestrian-friendly the pub/A5 option would be.

I'll probably do the Trinity option on the way up and the pub option on the way back down as I have yet to try the Limekilns despite having done the Ashby three times before. I've never had any trouble either but I've also never stopped in Hinckley overnight. I believe Nuneaton is none too good for stopping (so I haven't) but thought I'd check about Hinckley, despite not hearing anything untoward about it.

We've had several deliveries from Tesco at Stoke Golding moorings, the towpath is almost on the layby where the van pulls up. 

I've not been to Tomlinsons, but have to Spinney Bank, love their homemade sausages. Good place to pick up fresh milk.

Sutton Wharf cafe are missing a couple of tricks, it would be great if they could sell fresh milk, bread, etc.

1 hour ago, Lily Rose said:

Thanks Matty and Phil. I was thinking both of those but sometimes maps can be deceptive and also I wasn't sure how pedestrian-friendly the pub/A5 option would be.

I'll probably do the Trinity option on the way up and the pub option on the way back down as I have yet to try the Limekilns despite having done the Ashby three times before. I've never had any trouble either but I've also never stopped in Hinckley overnight. I believe Nuneaton is none too good for stopping (so I haven't) but thought I'd check about Hinckley, despite not hearing anything untoward about it.

I have never had a problem in Nuneaton, other than the underwater trolley reefs .

I regularly have a quick stop at the Queens Road bridge for F&Chips if I am moving boats late on and have moored on the visitor moorings past Boot Wharf many times without lost sleep.

6 minutes ago, Rickent said:

From Trinity marina, Nuneaton and Hinckley town centre are only a short bus ride away.

You are being very practical tonight Mr Bus driver....:P

some canal dwellers forget buses exist until they retire and get that pass...

7 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I've still got two and a half years until I get mine. Perhaps I should have stayed living in London. Then again, maybe not.

16 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I have never had a problem in Nuneaton, other than the underwater trolley reefs .

I've been spat at by an uncoof yoof  from a bridge. Could have been worse.

The first time I heard anything of concern was when I hired from Valley Cruises before they moved from Springwood Haven. I was Ashby-bound and they advised me not to stop overnight in Nuneaton.

Mind you, they also told me not to go into Coventry and then moved the fleet there a year or two later (possibly under new management).

I still haven't been into Coventry despite going to or through Hawkesbury Junction many times. I will probably do so, at long last, in a few day's time on the way to the Ashby.

7 minutes ago, Lily Rose said:

I still haven't been into Coventry despite going to or through Hawkesbury Junction many times. I will probably do so, at long last, in a few day's time on the way to the Ashby.

You’ll be lost then... ;)

I wouldn't have any qualms about stopping in Nuneaton, at least at Boot Wharf.

It's a pleasant stroll from there to all the shops in the town centre, including a Sainsburys.

If you want easy access to a supermarket in the area, the huge Tesco at Arena Park at Longford, Coventry, is canalside, and there are more stores near Navigation Bridge at Courthouse Green a bit closer to the city centre. I wouldn't stop overnight at either of those locations though.

Another option is to get the bus into Nuneaton from Bulkington Road bridge at the southern end of the Ashby - quite a pleasant overnight mooring with the Corner House pub nearby.

Edited by John Brightley
Spelling

2 hours ago, matty40s said:

The nearest walk is opposite Trinity Marina, the other option is near the Limekilns pub and walk up the A5....which does have a pavement on one side I seem to remember.....and at least you have a decent pub to come back to.

The Lidl is a Lidl further walk, best accessed from Trinity...walk towards town.

Whenever we've moored at Limekilns we've walked into Hinckley past the huge DPD depot, footpath all the way pretty much, no walking along the A5, about a mile by my reckoning

image.png.cc1bdba8294b30e469c31277ba561087.png

2 minutes ago, John Brightley said:

I wouldn't have any qualms about stopping in Nuneaton, at least at Boot Wharf.

It's a pleasant stroll from there to all the shops in the town centre, including a Sainsburys.

If you want easy access to a supermarket in the area, the huge Tesco at Arena Park at Longford, Coventry, is canalside, and there are more stores near Navigation Bridge at Courthouse Green a bit closer to the city centre. I wouldn't stop overnight at either of those locations though.

I probably will stop at the Tesco on the way back out from Coventry (I have walked to it from Sutton Stop, a fair walk) but it may be a further 2 or 3 days before we get to Hinckley (we've got until the end of August for a trip many do in a week), by which time I may be ready for a trip to Aldi. Even if it's not strictly needed it gives me an opportunity to buy a few more bottles of Hobgoblin Gold on the cheap.

47 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I regularly have a quick stop at the Queens Road bridge for F&Chips if I am moving boats late on and have moored on the visitor moorings past Boot Wharf many times without lost sleep.

You are being very practical tonight Mr Bus driver....:P

If they are very lucky they might even get me driving, the 158 is my route ?

1 minute ago, matty40s said:

from trinity, Aldi is exactly 1 mile, from Limekilns, 1.2 miles

Lidl is 1mile from Limekilns, slightly more from Trinity...

Hope this helps your beer quest

Yes it does, thank you again.

I'm not surprised about the one mile distance. It seems that almost every supermarket I go to from the canal or river is 1 mile according to Runkeeper (I don't run!)

I'm much more familiar with Aldi but only been to Lidl a few times so I don't know what good/cheap beers they do. I like Hobgoblin Gold. Especially if it's £1.25.

6 hours ago, Lily Rose said:

Aldi is probably the most conveniently located supermarket (as opposed to a convenience store)

<pedant>If the Aldi is conveniently located, then shirley it is by definition a convenience store.</pedant>

Jen?

13 hours ago, Jennifer McM said:

We've had several deliveries from Tesco at Stoke Golding moorings, the towpath is almost on the layby where the van pulls up. 

I've not been to Tomlinsons, but have to Spinney Bank, love their homemade sausages. Good place to pick up fresh milk.

Sutton Wharf cafe are missing a couple of tricks, it would be great if they could sell fresh milk, bread, etc.

Another vote for Tesco delivery, they delivered straight to the hatch for us at Sutton wharf a few weeks back and last weeks delivery was at hopwas. All it needs is a bit of planning to make sure they can get the van close to the boat.

• Greenie 1

Thanks for the Tesco delivery suggestions. I may give them a try at some point but it's rare that I need enough stuff to make that worthwhile other than when we start each trip and at that point I still have the car and <10 minute drive to the supermarket. Mid-cruise I normally just need a top-up.

After sitting out yesterday's torrential rain in Rugby we have now reached the VMs at Hawkesbury Junction. Probably go down to Coventry basin tomorrow morning before heading to the Ashby on Friday.

Quick update

I didn't stop near the Limekilns pub for Lidl (I expect to try that pub on the way back) but kept going to the bridge just before Trinity Marina. I then made the mistake of not stopping on the armco before the bridge, only to find two boats on the armco just after it, leaving no spaces. The next space was then quite a way on from the bridge so I kept going and moored at the VMs just before bridge 17A and walked along the A47 to Aldi from there. Runkeeper indicated that I walked 0.92 miles each way. It felt like more, particularly on the way back!