Paddington Basin Bookable CaRT VM

Neil TNC

Featured Posts

CaRT £12 per night. Can book online in your CaRT account. Mrs TNC fancied one night here on our "Indian Summer" final cruise into London / L&S in NB Earnest. Two bankside moorings and two inner pontoon moorings for NB's and 2 hammerhead moorings for Widebeams or extra NB bookings. Even taking 60ft as the"norm"one of the inner pontoon moorings blocks in the boat on the bankside, and this one has only 30ft of pontoon, with NO CLEATS! (guess which one we ended up on). Eventually found some blue string loops, which were of some use. Now we see why the two bookable moorings in Brownings Pool £10/night) were rather overbooked. These do have their disadvantages, as they are under lime trees, which in the summer coat your boat with sticky goo. Needless to say after a hiatus of 13 years (what a change) we did not return as after seeing the lie of the land we moored elsewhere on the return journey.

Pad1.jpg

Pad2.jpg

Pad3.jpg

• 2 months later...
2 minutes ago, DaveP said:

Yes,

introduced this summer.  The walkway moorings are still free. (atm).

If you can actually get a mooring there. I've never in my boating life seen any of those moorings free up. Round the corner, opposite Paddington station entrance, I've bagged a mooring there on a few occasions.

I remember some guy in a widebeam, ironically called "Optimism" or something similar, who was moored there chanced it by going off to fill up his water tank and left a handwritten notice saying "No mooring, gone to water point".

Of course, that mooring didn't stay empty for long.

1) Never had a problem mooring in the Basin, In 2017 & 2018.

2) Its never been free in Paddington it was all pre paid on my licence as all other moorings are or should be.

Some may remember that when BWB/BW/CRT, said paying at Llangollen was not the thin end of the wedge on mooring fees. Others said pull the other one!!!!!!!!!!

It will be interesting to see how IWA respond to this creeping new fund raiser. 

Oh Thats right it only applies in areas of demand.

• 1 month later...

Is it fairly obvious (signed?) which these are? Presumably they stay empty until a booked in person moors there (unlike some winter moorings I believe?!?). Wanting to make sure I end up in the right spot as am not familiar with Paddington.

I appreciate the idea that all visitor moorings are pre-paid via licensing (cf road tax/parking spaces really) but have booked one of these for a night as am uncertain of finding a space nearby before dark cruising my new boat for the first time.

Yes, they are separate and signed. They are the pontoon moorings on the north side of the basin between the Hospital bridge and the Go Boats.  I wandered through the basin last week and they were fully occupied although not fully booked - I think because some widebeams are using the inside berths which thus block off the remaining one for a narrowboat - or they've been colonised by the locals....

4 minutes ago, David Mack said:

As ever CRT have their messages mixed up - once one signs into the booking system you get

"Please note, this pre-bookable mooring site is being trialled. Bookings may be made until 6 January 2020. Bookings beyond this date will be subject to a review of the trial"

I spoke to them several months ago regarding this - at the time bookings couldn't be made beyond 30/11.  After several go arounds they recognised that the site was giving out mixed messages.  Something's changed in the meantime and they've only updated one of the pages. Shower of $%^&!

I used one of the Rembrandt gaeden places a couple of years ago for a saturday booking.  Turned up to discover a widebeam sitting there with no crew.  Phoned CRT and they did sort out the squatters in short order.  So, if there is a blockage don't hesitate to get them on the case.

Ah, handy to know ?

Silly question... There is space to turn around here? 70ft (with entirely inexperienced steerer) boat... Don't fancy having to reverse all the way back to the main part of the canal! 

Edited to add - canal planner does say you can, just slightly uncertain given how tight it all sounds

Edited by TheMenagerieAfloat

10 hours ago, TheMenagerieAfloat said:

Ah, handy to know ?

Silly question... There is space to turn around here? 70ft (with entirely inexperienced steerer) boat... Don't fancy having to reverse all the way back to the main part of the canal! 

Edited to add - canal planner does say you can, just slightly uncertain given how tight it all sounds

There is space to turn a 70’ boat but as others have said it can be a real wind tunnel and there is ably a shit distance between the end of the pontoons and the end of the basin to turn in. If there is the slightest wind we put someone ashore to grab the front rope to assist in winding

Well, arrived to find a widebeam on each of the four spots... and we found out you can tuck a (70'!) narrowboat in beside. So,

channel

widebeam

pontoon arm

widebeam

narrowboat

bank

Thank you to the other moorees for assisting with winding, in and out - was about as tight as it gets!

• 3 months later...
32 minutes ago, junior said:

Is it still possible to moor on the other side at the back of the hospital for free?

Yes, but there's two spaces out of action, because some twit was burning damp wood under the hospital air intakes.

• 2 weeks later...