Eye level oven

frahkn

Featured Posts

I would like to replace my cooker with an eye-level oven and a separate hob.

While I have seen several on boats and some in chandlers, there seems to be only a quite limited range available.

I would be grateful for advice re brands and about 240v or 12v (for ignition, timers etc). 

I expect to do this only once so I'm not too worried about price.

Thanks.

Frank.

A bought a Caprice which is a ‘proper’ boat stove rather than a domestic kitchen stove.  The rings are fairly slow to boil (small) and the oven is terrible.  Big mistake. Sorry this doesn’t answer your question of ‘what to get’, just what not..........

• Greenie 1

37 minutes ago, frahkn said:

I would be grateful for advice re brands and about 240v or 12v (for ignition, timers etc). 

Do you really need auto-ignition ?

We try to keep things simple - a 'long nosed' lighter reaches to the back of the oven, fine.

Not exactly 'eye-level' (unless you are vertically challenged) but it could have been by swapping places with the microwave.

Note the grill / vent on the left hand side by the stair-rail to let the heat out - the stair-rail it does get very, very hot, Could really do with a bigger vent.

Versatility-35-24.jpg

Versatility-35-25.jpg

35 minutes ago, frahkn said:

While I have seen several on boats and some in chandlers, there seems to be only a quite limited range available.

Thanks.

Frank.

I have just ( last week ) replaced my built in stove. I was in a similar situation on which way to go. I could replace with a choice of only two or three boat type jobbies that were the usual, smallish oven and tiny grill. I did much research and eventualy went for a domestic cooker. My slot was 500 by 500 so all I had to do was go further back to make hole 500 wide by 600 deep and I then edged this with off the shelf diy store edging. I went for a stove from Argos, the price also didnt realy come into it however the higher prices always brings crap you dont want on a boat. The boat replacement one for my stoves 500 would have been 660 quid. The stove I ordered was 320 quid from Argos and was delivered 20 hours after the order was placed with first class service throughout. It was mains gas so I bought some jets from the manufacturers which a chimpanzee could change, some manufacturers dont charge for these but mine cost 28 squids and came in 48 hours. The stove is greatly superior in every way to the flimsy boat jobby it replaced. Being as basic as possible it has no fan which is one reason I bought it. The light in the oven is manualy switched if for some reason you need to light up the oven and ignition is mains. My boat is all mains 24/7 365 and the tiny amount used to spark the burners is immeasureable. If I didnt have mains full time there is a way called a match that has been used to light gas rings for many decades. All burners have fsd. Its a great bit of kit.

You will be able to replace with seperate units with fsd but will have to check all measurements as they are not standard. I am pleased I replaced so easily with this domestic kit at about half the price of a lesser quality boaty jobby.

8 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Do you really need auto-ignition ?

We try to keep things simple - a 'long nosed' lighter reaches to the back of the oven, fine.

Not exactly 'eye-level' (unless you are vertically challenged) but it could have been by swapping places with the microwave.

Note the grill / vent on the left hand side by the stair-rail to let the heat out - the stair-rail it does get very, very hot, Could really do with a bigger vent.

Thanks, what kit is this?

8 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

I have just ( last week ) replaced my built in stove. I was in a similar situation on which way to go. I could replace with a choice of only two or three boat type jobbies that were the usual, smallish oven and tiny grill. I did much research and eventualy went for a domestic cooker. My slot was 500 by 500 so all I had to do was go further back to make hole 500 wide by 600 deep and I then edged this with off the shelf diy store edging. I went for a stove from Argos, the price also didnt realy come into it however the higher prices always brings crap you dont want on a boat. The boat replacement one for my stoves 500 would have been 660 quid. The stove I ordered was 320 quid from Argos and was delivered 20 hours after the order was placed with first class service throughout. It was mains gas so I bought some jets from the manufacturers which a chimpanzee could change, some manufacturers dont charge for these but mine cost 28 squids and came in 48 hours. The stove is greatly superior in every way to the flimsy boat jobby it replaced. Being as basic as possible it has no fan which is one reason I bought it. The light in the oven is manualy switched if for some reason you need to light up the oven and ignition is mains. My boat is all mains 24/7 365 and the tiny amount used to spark the burners is immeasureable. If I didnt have mains full time there is a way called a match that has been used to light gas rings for many decades. All burners have fsd. Its a great bit of kit.

You will be able to replace with seperate units with fsd but will have to check all measurements as they are not standard. I am pleased I replaced so easily with this domestic kit at about half the price of a lesser quality boaty jobby.

This makes a lot of sense but I am a bit concerned about losing the oven if my combi failed. Despite the weakness of 12 volt appliances, I look for the extra string to my bow.

8 hours ago, frahkn said:

This makes a lot of sense but I am a bit concerned about losing the oven if my combi failed. Despite the weakness of 12 volt appliances, I look for the extra string to my bow.

I may be a numpty :blush: but why would you lose the oven if your combi failed, the oven is gas so whilstever your gas is working both rings and oven will work or am I being stoopid?

8 hours ago, frahkn said:

Did you miss this bit...?

16 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

If I didnt have mains full time there is a way called a match that has been used to light gas rings for many decades.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

I am still being dim :blush: how does a gas oven fail to work if the combi packs in?

It doesn’t. It fails to ignite. That’s where the matches come into play :)

1 minute ago, WotEver said:

It doesn’t. It fails to ignite. That’s where the matches come into play :)

Ahhhhhhhhh so its just about lighting it then ? one of those long hand held gas powered lighting jobbies from pound shop will do it in about 2 seconds. I dont know how we all survived over the years without such gadgets as buttons to light ovens etc :D

On 30/07/2019 at 15:38, frahkn said:

Thanks.

Frank.

Thanks very much for the help so far (and I do take the "matches" point) but does anyone have more on the brands issue.

Chewbacka has helped with one not to get and Alan has shown me one but I don't know what it is. With the boating and caravan markets, surely there are more than just those in Midland Chandlers?

There will could be issues with warranty on a boat as not many cookers are rated for boat use.  If the boat is new there can also be RCD problems if it is not rated for boat use, not sure about insurance wriggling out of claims. Hopefully you will never need any of the above.

1 hour ago, Detling said:

There will could be issues with warranty on a boat as not many cookers are rated for boat use.  If the boat is new there can also be RCD problems if it is not rated for boat use, not sure about insurance wriggling out of claims. Hopefully you will never need any of the above.

I agree on the warranty front. When I buy anything domestic for my boat the day of purchase I consider it out of warranty. I doubt there would be RCD problems as if its converted like mine to lpg with manufacturers parts then it must be suited to lpg? Of course RCD is realy only relevant on the first five years of sale of a new boat and is meaningless for many boats.

Edited by mrsmelly

Just throwing this in here...

We replaced our eye level oven with a free standing one, I'd much rather have the fridge up higher. Normally the fridge freezer is accessed more often than the oven.

I can bend down to put things in and out of the oven easily, and to see what's going on, but the fridge would often have me crawling on my knees trying to find stuff at the back.

fridge.jpg.c3ae5229dfb3d407035451638d94c5ff.jpg

1 hour ago, Detling said:

I think the rcd requirements must be complied with on the day it is sold to the end user, and ce marked to confirm compliance.  Once the end user has taken ownership of the craft they are free to do as they wish, that said, any alterations/additions must satisfy the bss and insurance etc requirements.

18 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Once the end user has taken ownership of the craft they are free to do as they wish, that said, any alterations/additions must satisfy the bss and insurance etc requirements.

Not quite true - any 'major' changes are subject to an RCD 'post construction assessment' and re-certification.

Major changes are things affecting either emissions (replacement of engine) or anything affecting safety (changes to gas systems, anything to alter stability for example)

The have been some changes to the rules applicable to craft that undergo a Major Craft Conversion, together with a better definition of what this actually means. The scope of the new Directive now specifically applies to any watercraft that is subject to Major Craft Conversion (Article 2.1(f)). Major Craft Conversion is defined in Article 3(7) of the Directive and means: a conversion of a watercraft which changes the means of propulsion of the watercraft, involves a major engine modification, or alters the watercraft to such an extent that it may not meet the applicable essential safety and environmental requirements laid down in this Directive.

Article 19(3) of the new Directive places a responsibility on anyone undertaking a Major Craft Modification and states that:  Any person placing on the market or putting into service a propulsion engine or a watercraft after a major modification or conversion thereof, or any person changing the intended purpose of a watercraft not covered by this Directive in a way that it falls under its scope, shall apply the procedure referred to in Article 23 before placing the product on the market or putting it into service.

Article 23 sets out the equivalent conformity assessment based on post-construction assessment (Module PCA) which is provided in Annex V of the new Directive.

What does this mean?

This means that any CE marked vessel* that undergoes a Major Craft Conversion must undergo a Module PCA assessment before being placed back on the market or put into service (whichever is the earlier). The legal responsibility for this is placed on the person who is placing the vessel back on the market or putting it back into service after the Major Craft Conversion has been carried out.

The RYA would advise anyone considering converting a watercraft within the meaning of Major Craft Conversion to as a minimum to ensure that they are aware of their responsibilities under the directive with reference to “Major Craft Conversion”.

We would also advise all those who carry out work, all repairs, equipment/system modifications and upgrades on CE marked watercraft to ensure they are carried out to existing standards and make owners aware of their responsibilities under the new directive.

The oven on my boat is by Smev

Or should I say the chief officers oven  is by Smev.

She only uses it in the highest setting and adds time to any cooking instructions. So not great. 

The oven ignition works off 12V DC . It is not automatic.... you have to press a switch. 

The oven is designed for a boat or caravan and for use with bottle gas rather than natural gas.

The hob needs a lighter. We have one of those gas lighters which also  comes in handy for lighting the charcoal BBQ.

51 minutes ago, Jennifer McM said:

Just throwing this in here...

We replaced our eye level oven with a free standing one, I'd much rather have the fridge up higher. Normally the fridge freezer is accessed more often than the oven.

I can bend down to put things in and out of the oven easily, and to see what's going on, but the fridge would often have me crawling on my knees trying to find stuff at the back.

fridge.jpg.c3ae5229dfb3d407035451638d94c5ff.jpg

Nice spatula.

• Haha 1