More painting questions! (Interior this time)

Featured Posts

As much as I know you old fellas dislike a white/cream painted interior, that's what I'm planning on doing. It's a design/asthetic choice that I like, you might not which is fine!

The main reason being is my boat has portholes rather than bus windows (with the exception of the one emergency bus window) and as such it can be a bit dark inside almost any time of the day. It needs brightening up and so the interior needs to be lighter.

I heard about an undercoat you can use (possibly beginning with a Z?) that will let you paint over painted/varnished wood because sanding down the entire interior of my boat is not something that thrills me greatly. I wondered if anyone knew of what I'm referring to? Or knows of an alternative product?

Thanks!

26 minutes ago, NB Caelmiri said:

I think I may have found it. Zinsser B.I.N.

Yep - about four years ago we decided to paint over the sides above gunwale level and ceiling which were both originally darkly scumbled and no issues have occurred so far

Incidentally, very pleased with the much lighter cabin that resulted.

Personally I feel that a contrasting colour is needed against large areas of magnolia / cream.

In our case, a dark maroon for the T & G below the gunwale.

8C292BAE-E7AF-42D7-9289-2BFDF659B088.jpeg

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

I like that interior! Very clean. More to my taste than the traditional look personally, but I still really love traditional looking boats, just not sure I'd want to live in one on a day to day basis.

That interior looks great! Still plenty wood left. But now not like the inside of a coffin :)

I notice you went for what looks like a silk finish? Do you find it too shiny on the ceiling or is it ok? I used silk below gunnels, but you just don't see the shine because it is low down. I want to do my ceiling next and thinking whether to go with a sheen or a matte.

Back to the op - actually it wouldn't be so bad giving the interior a rub down first, you could go wet n dry to keep dust down? Use a primer undercoat such as the stuff from Screwfix, couple coats then two or three top in emulsion? That Zinsser looks good but you will need quite a lot! Masking up will be the worst bit! (I wouldn't use a brush anywhere, stick with the small roller for an even finish).

2 hours ago, Johny London said:

That interior looks great! Still plenty wood left. But now not like the inside of a coffin :)

I notice you went for what looks like a silk finish? Do you find it too shiny on the ceiling or is it ok? I used silk below gunnels, but you just don't see the shine because it is low down. I want to do my ceiling next and thinking whether to go with a sheen or a matte.

Back to the op - actually it wouldn't be so bad giving the interior a rub down first, you could go wet n dry to keep dust down? Use a primer undercoat such as the stuff from Screwfix, couple coats then two or three top in emulsion? That Zinsser looks good but you will need quite a lot! Masking up will be the worst bit! (I wouldn't use a brush anywhere, stick with the small roller for an even finish).

Coffins are lined with white fabric inside.............................................just saying.

Rather than rub it all down, wash it down with sugar soap to remove and grease or dust and take the polish off.

Thanks - originally the panel trim was narrow and dark brown. Craig, who is the forman at RW Davis, suggested machining rebated oak capping trim to fit over the original and this was treated with Blackfriars Danish Oil. Obviously not a cheep job, but definitely helped transform the interior.

Photo for comparison.

Very much personal choice?

The ceiling is gloss cream for good reflectivity and works well for us.

However, the galley cupboards are eggshell cream (Insides gloss white).

Sides above the gunwale are eggshell magnolia.

T&G sides below gunwale are darkish eggshell maroon.

The new floor was a darker hardwood treated with Rustins Floor Oil.

Incidentally, cream rather than pure white is a traditional choice for classic lumpy water boats.

E76E8144-DF02-4406-8155-C3D903C738AE.jpeg