Lister Petter Oil Filter equivalents/usage

Featured Posts

Two sizes of oil filter are commonly used on LPWS marine engines. Both are 3/4-16 UN thread, 65mm height with an 8psi by-pass. The two cylinder variants use the smaller canister at 78mm diameter (Lister part no. 751-12870) and the three and four cylinder variants use the wider canister at 94mm diameter (Lister part no. 751-10620). Both are the same height with the difference in diameter resulting in volume 0.14ltr vs. 0.23ltr respectively.

There are hundreds of equivalents used in many applications and suppliers (two local motor factors and some on-line) confuse the two filters indicating the smaller can replaces or is equivalent to for the (slightly) larger one. Both sizes are available and, having searched the forums here, LPWS owners appear happy to experiment by fitting different or even larger filters. The previous owner of our boat gave me a stock of the smaller filters. Even the company that reconditioned my three cylinder LPWS3 (before I bought it) also fitted the smaller filter.

Oil changes on my engine have been done more frequently than the requisite 100hrs as stipulated in the workshop manual, which describes the oil system: "Oil in the sump is drawn into the pump through the oil strainer and is then delivered by the pump through a drilling in the crankcase to the hole nearest the outside of the cartridge type oil filter base. Filtered pressure oil passes through the centre of the filter into the oil gallery in the crankcase door and from the oil gallery it is delivered to the crankshaft and bearings..."

My question is, what are the likely implications of using the smaller volume filter?

/G

I assume that the filtration performance of both elements is the same.  If so, The small will clog more quickly than a larger one. This should not be a problem if the oil is changed regularly, and for a larger  engine, more often than reccomended.

The maximum through-flow for the small filter will be less than for the large one.  This will probably not be a problem, particularly if the oil pump on the small engines is the same as the large one. I rather doubt that Lister would choose any filter where the oil pump output was close to the limits of a new filter, as such a set up would soon be in bypass mode.

Filtration data (micron size) is often available from the inline filters website.

N

@Bengo, Thanks for that - it sounds like it's probably not an issue (as long as I keep monitoring oil quality and adhere to the short change interval).

The parts manual has the same pump, relief valve and strainer for 2, 3 and 4 cylinder engines except the LPWT4:

I can only comment on the 4 cyl version the standard oil filter is a short one, don’t have the part number to hand but the lister manual says the larger 328 21600 can be used and implies the oil change interval can be increased to 250 hours. 

I believe on some installations the larger filter fouls on engine mounts or other ancillaries. There is plenty of room on ours so I use the bigger one although stick with the 100 hour changes.

i don’t understand why folks bugger about trying to find “equivalents” when the OEM lister parts are inexpensive. 

I recommend MES midlands (RWLP of this parish) prices are competitive and service is great from people who know what they are talking about. 

If your not sure about which to use give them a ring. 

we had the lpws4 on our boat and had always used the smaller filter (because that's what was on there and the ice cream tub full of old filters suggested that was what had always been on there).

then someone on here had some unused oil filters for sale that the part number suggested they were for the lpws4, these were the larger ones and we found that they fouled the throttle and engine stop controls.

10 hours ago, jonathanA said:

If your not sure about which to use give them a ring. 

No, I'm clear which is the correct filter (wider not narrower or longer) - just wanting to clarify what problems might ensue because previous owner and service company fitted the narrower less volume filter.

Thanks for the heads-up re MES, though I'm a fair bit north of there. Supply doesn't appear to be a problem (common filter on lots of machinery) - getting suppliers to avoid supplying the narrower filter as an equivalent might be ?

/G