Ashby Boats & Streethay Wharf

waterdog

Featured Posts

I am glad you had a good experience at Streethay. We moored there for more years than I care to remember and we always found the staff helpful and accommodating in our dealings with them. Whether it was a complete repaint on our shared boat or bits and pieces on our own boat, they were always helpful and kept us in the picture - we live a long way from Streethay!  Our only reason for leaving was to renew our acquaintance with the canals further north but I wouldn't be surprised if we return to Steethay at some point. 

haggis

37 minutes ago, waterdog said:

Firstly, I wasn't sure whether to post this in the marina review section

In my view, it's fine where it is, and thanks for your positive and informative post.

Is the chandlery at Streethay still up some outside stairs? It's 20 years since we were there, but that's how I remember it.

1 minute ago, Athy said:

In my view, it's fine where it is, and thanks for your positive and informative post.

Is the chandlery at Streethay still up some outside stairs? It's 20 years since we were there, but that's how I remember it.

Yes, it is upstairs, not ideal if someone has mobility issues but we'll worth a visit, 

2 minutes ago, Athy said:

Yes. The chandlery is a little gold mine, I was there on Saturday.

They even have a Calder & Hebble handspike for sale

15 minutes ago, roland elsdon said:

currently moored opposite fradley being full.

Oops, sorry about that, we are moored at fradley itself. Thinking about moving up to the junction when the weather improves. You must have gone past us today. 

We have used both these businesses, and agree they are both excellent with their customer service. We had a major toilet issue a year ago, in that it stopped working. The engineer at Ashby Boats walked half a mile to our boat, spent forty minutes tracing electrical wiring to find a blown fuse. For all that he only wanted to charge us for the fuse and a spare, about forty pence. We gave him a suitable drink for his trouble, but what a top bloke. I should add, we now have his business card for future paid work when needed.

• Greenie 1

Ahhh...Streethay Wharf, wonderful place. I had a boat moored there for around 5 years back in the 90's and enjoyed ever second of it. A traditional, enthusiastic and interesting boat yard with great advice, workmanship and prices. 10 out of 10 from me.

2 hours ago, waterdog said:

Oops, sorry about that, we are moored at fradley itself. Thinking about moving up to the junction when the weather improves. You must have gone past us today. 

Must have done as there was nothing below on the t and m or above on the cov.  Absolutely choked 

We had only come up from alrewas as we had been forced to leave the boat on 48 mooring on sunday. Got there today and 14 day was empty - typical. Moved anyway as you do.

Learned years ago do not arrive at fradley after mid day, came through at three..

lovely people on Brunel  pulled a paddle up for us at everylock from alrewas. Old fashioned courtesy.

I find this post refreshingly pleasing thanks waterdog as i was told by someone who shall stay unnamed to avoid Streethay when asked why they declined to give a reason just don't go there suffice to say i took it with a pinch of salt poppy cock Chinese whispers! enough said i will be visiting Streethay to try to source some windows for my boat very soon and will let you know my experience with them :)   

• Greenie 1

I've only been there a couple of times as it's not on my normal route, and not been for a few years but they were extremely helpful when I was trying to find a bleed screw for my bmc 1.5. 

They didn't have the right screw but the young woman found a copper washer, nut and bolt of the correct diameter and pitch and explained how to fit that in place. She put a lot of work into a sale worth only a few pennies. I kept that in place for a few years and only replaced it when I happened to ask at Calcutt if they had the right bit in stock (they were out of stock each of the other times I'd asked).

Rob

4 minutes ago, p6rob said:

I've only been there a couple of times as it's not on my normal route, and not been for a few years but they were extremely helpful when I was trying to find a bleed screw for my bmc 1.5. 

They didn't have the right screw but the young woman found a copper washer, nut and bolt of the correct diameter and pitch and explained how to fit that in place. She put a lot of work into a sale worth only a few pennies. I kept that in place for a few years and only replaced it when I happened to ask at Calcutt if they had the right bit in stock (they were out of stock each of the other times I'd asked).

Rob

The test of a good business. With an attitude such as theirs, customers will return. Goodwill.