Mooring in Ripon

nicknorman

Featured Posts

There is Ripon Marina if you want a hook up etc. I recall it had narrowboats in it so may have space.

Failing that the limited visitor moorings felt very safe when we were there in 2014. However apparently a local in the flats did enjoy reporting overstaying boats...I think the moorings were 48hrs...we may have stayed an extra day as it was a nice place to explore....however we didn’t get any trouble from CRT or any residents.....and  only saw one other moving boat! 

I think there was also some visitor moorings just above the lock where you come off the river too but they are a little way from “civilisation” if that matters. 

Found a link...looks like a visitor mooring is £16/day. Not too bad I guess. 

https://bwml.co.uk/ripon-racecourse-marina/moorings/

Edited by frangar

I've just come from Ripon.  I did leave my boat for  6 days where I thought I wouldn't be in anyone's way (Cygnet is only 27 ft) but got a telling off from Julie, who's been in charge of the Ripon Canal for some time.  If you are an AWCC member you could also try Ripon Motor Boat Club.  Also there was a 40ft boat staying on the old towpath side top lock mooring while I was there, presumably with Julie's blessing.  All the visitor moorings are 48 hours.   But if Jeff is on the boat perhaps he could just move it?  I'm sure there would be someone around to give him a hand if necessary.

When we were there three years ago we were warned about the enforcement 'lady'. Didn't know her name is Julie. Anyway the lady is on the ball. Personally I would get to speak to her and ask for authorisation. We have never had a problem when we've asked in other areas. Very few boats about up there. The 'basin' is very handy for the town.

Not sure I have much additional to add, we were there last summer and there are 48 hour mooring just outside the basin (quite a lot of road noise), you are not allowed to moor in the basin (presumably because of the new housing).  There are not many mooring perhaps 5 boat lengths, but there was no one else there until we were getting ready to leave after 2 days when anther boat that we came up from Selby with turned up.  We also stopped overnight on the mooring above the lock onto the river.

There are a lot of good moorings at Boroughbridge but I suspect they are 48 hour.  We stopped there on the way up and the way down and the same cruiser was moored (no one onboard) on the services the whole time so I guess no one cares if you overstay there if that worked for you.

Ripon marina is expensive I think we were quoted £16 per night (inc electric) the weekend before last. The usual pattern is two days at the sanitary station mooring two days in the basin. There's a wooden jetty (48hr) just above Ripon boat club on the right. There's also a few moorings at Oxclose lock if you don't mind a brisk walk into town. Mac left Cygnet just upstream from Bell Furrows lock mooring. I'm surprised he got a ticking off from Julie because boats have moored in the same spot many times in the past when we used to be in the marina. Jim McDonald moored Elizabeth there several years ago because he couldn't get through the last lock. TBH I would have moored there if it hadn't already been occupied by Cygnet.

I've always been surprised that boats don't moor on the towpath side between Bell Furrows and Rhodesfield locks. There are some fishing platforms for the disabled along there but I would not be worried about leaving the boat with someone on board. Good advice from Nightwatch, ask Julie if in doubt she's an okay girl. BTW the top pound is very shallow and weedy, a Hudson may drag though the mud although plenty of depth at the visitor moorings in the basin for turning.