Purchasing a C & H handspike

frangar

Featured Posts

Due to a change of route we will now be going along the Calder & Hebble from the Huddersfield direction at Cooper mill junction towards Castleford.  Does anyone know if Aspley Wharf marina at Huddersfield sell Handspikes? Failing that where else might I get one on route??  I know I can busk it or indeed use a pick axe handle if I can find a Screwfix or similar but I’d like to have one just in case. 

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, pearley said:

A metre of 3 X 2 from B & Q, et al will do the job.

Softwood will be pretty chewed up after one trip, but if you aren't planning to boat in handspike world often then that's fine. There are only a couple of locks heading from Huddersfield to Wakefield where you'll use it. Vague memory that there is at least one that you can't do without one. I got my hardwood spike at Sowerby Bridge, but no good for you.

I assumed from the original post that it was a one off transit. We have a hardwood one made by a now deceased husband of a woman that worked for us for 30 years.

Back in the 90s when in a hire boat I left one on the lockside. Had a new one made at Shepley Bridge while I waited but it was a proper BW yard then.

It would appear there are 2 locks where you won't get through without a handspike.

Slaterhebble Top and Kirklees Low.

Edited by pearley

I’m probably going to be back up this way next year so hard wood might be better....besides my experience of the DIY sheds wood isn’t great...more knots than wood usually!

They do seem a tricky thing to buy considering that they are really an essential of travel on the C & H. Knew I should have made one at home just in case before I set out! 

Just now, Nick D said:

We got our pickaxe handle from a general diy/handyman store which you should find in most towns.

Yeah I think that might be the route to go down. 

1 hour ago, pearley said:

I assumed from the original post that it was a one off transit. We have a hardwood one made by a now deceased husband of a woman that worked for us for 30 years.

Back in the 90s when in a hire boat I left one on the lockside. Had a new one made at Shepley Bridge while I waited but it was a proper BW yard then.

It would appear there are 2 locks where you won't get through without a handspike.

Slaterhebble Top and Kirklees Low.

If you are going from Huddersfield to Wakefield then you won't need to pass through Salterhebble.

6 hours ago, frangar said:

Due to a change of route we will now be going along the Calder & Hebble from the Huddersfield direction at Cooper mill junction towards Castleford.  Does anyone know if Aspley Wharf marina at Huddersfield sell Handspikes? Failing that where else might I get one on route??  I know I can busk it or indeed use a pick axe handle if I can find a Screwfix or similar but I’d like to have one just in case. 

Hi Gareth

When we were there in early June they had handspikes.

My new one came from Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge, and so purposeful does it look for self defence, I was worried carrying across the town in case the Rossers saw me !

James

10 hours ago, Mike Todd said:

Ours came from Apsley, hire. Good quality 

Oops - not sure how the word hire got in there! 

On the matter of cost, we had previously made our own from a piece of softwood bought from a timber merchant alongside the canal. I had to shape the end myself. Its cost was not that short of the one from Apsley which is a much harder wood and properly shaped.

Many thanks to all for the replies...I’ll ring Apsley just to double check they have them when they open at 12. £18 isn’t too bad in the boating scheme of things. 

8 hours ago, JamesWoolcock said:

Hi Gareth

When we were there in early June they had handspikes.

My new one came from Shire Cruisers at Sowerby Bridge, and so purposeful does it look for self defence, I was worried carrying across the town in case the Rossers saw me !

James

Funny you should say that...I attended a meeting in London with Nigel from Shire Cruises when we thought we might have been going down the Trent and onto the C & H. I did ask if he minded bringing one on the train...he thought it might have taken some explaining why he had a large lump of wood with him....?

• Greenie 1

A number of years ago my son was planning to take our boat from Leeds up the C&H. I told him to call in the BW office and pick up a handspike but omitted to tell him what it was, other than he would need one. He was assuming it was some sort of fancy key and was a bit nonplussed when given a big piece of wood. He was then off to the pub in central Leeds with his mates....

19 minutes ago, John Wareing said:

A number of years ago my son was planning to take our boat from Leeds up the C&H. I told him to call in the BW office and pick up a handspike but omitted to tell him what it was, other than he would need one. He was assuming it was some sort of fancy key and was a bit nonplussed when given a big piece of wood. He was then off to the pub in central Leeds with his mates....

Exactly same thing happened to me not so long ago. I cycled to the CaRT office in Leeds, asking for a handspike (£15 for an official CaRT model) and then ended up with this great big lump of wood. that I didn't know what to do with for the rest of the evening.

It probably wouldn't surprise you by the number of pubs in Leeds that won't let you walk in with a two foot hardwood club.

6 hours ago, frangar said:

Checked with Apsley....confirmed they have loads in stock! As stated earlier £18....now watch them have a run on them!....now also need the rain to ease so river bits stop going into flood....

It is ASPLEY.

There is a place somewhere else called Apsley.

This mix up happens quite often.

3 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

It is ASPLEY.

Only a problem if you can't buy a hand spike at Apsley!

Jen ?

Edited to add. Apsley marina is in Hertfordshire  and don't have a chandlery, so it is probably worth checking with them first before going there to buy a Calder and Hebble spike. Not saying you won't get one there, but Aspley is a better bet! Apsley Marina should get a stock in and profit from the confusion.

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

4 hours ago, Mad Harold said:

It is ASPLEY.

That’s what happens when the the dyslexic blokes phone is left to autocorrect....I did phone the right marina! 

And further to my defence I used to boat around Apsley.....I’ll try to get the phone to learn Aspley.....

• Haha 1