Jump to content
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Strawberry Orange Banana Lime Leaf Slate Sky Blueberry Grape Watermelon Chocolate Marble
Sign in to follow this  
Alan de Enfield

The Guardian - The Waterways tale of everyday pikeys.

Featured Posts

5 hours ago, BeetBee said:

I can see why people wouldn't want his iron snail moored near them with all of the crap hes got on the roof. Maybe make the narrowboat less of an eyesore and less people would complain. 

I was reported by locals in 2011 in Lityle Benice (sic) for burning instant cancer causing suffocating coal. The smoke was killing thousands of them. 

Luckily for me, the BW enforcement officer for the area then (Debbyfiggy as she was known on here) was outside my boat when, or just after the reports came in. The wind was blowing Way from the flats that had reported me, and I was burning smokeless coal, I had actually taken a photograph of my boat (without any smoke coming from chimbly)as Ieft for work that morning, at the same time the complaint came in, I also posted this to BW.

This was taken back to the complainants who decided that they had complained about the only boat name they could see that day.

 

Some people get offended by anything, some people feel they have to be offended on a daily or hourly basis, it seems you may belong in this latest social category.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

Please tell us your affinity with the canals. I'm going to shoot myself in the foot because now you'll reveal you're fourth generation lock-keeper. But maybe, like most of us, you're not. I'm a middle aged guy who has enjoyed the canals since being a kid. I haven't got shed loads of cash to throw around. A canoe would be enough. I can just manage a small cruiser and the associated bills. I'm not the only person like that on the forum. Like townies moving to the countryside complaining of crowing sounds in the morning, some people buying a boat on the canal now, expect a line of clone 60/70' leisure boats. Ailsa Craig and Cressie and loads of thers would be booted off by these 'new guardians'

Not a fourth generation lock keeper at all or any of that. I have used the canals and rivers for the past 24 yrs or so boating,  owned vatious small cruisers and worked my way up to a classic 60's sports boat suitable for choppy stuff. 

 

The point is the canal and rivers in the uk are there for everyone to enjoy regardless of wealth or background and should not be detracted from by scruffy eye sores with social misfits in what are really some of the countrys beauty spots.

 

Just my opinion and your more than welcome to your own. I'm not going to change it and I'm sure I wont change yours so we should agree to differ. 

 

Like to see any boat thats loved and cared for but dont like to trip over other peoples junk and detritus on mornings or at canal sides, lots of that is prevalent on the Nottingham canal and trent area which you could argue has contributed to my view. 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, matty40s said:

I was reported by locals in 2011 in Lityle Benice (sic) for burning instant cancer causing suffocating coal. The smoke was killing thousands of them. 

Luckily for me, the BW enforcement officer for the area then (Debbyfiggy as she was known on here) was outside my boat when, or just after the reports came in. The wind was blowing Way from the flats that had reported me, and I was burning smokeless coal, I had actually taken a photograph of my boat (without any smoke coming from chimbly)as Ieft for work that morning, at the same time the complaint came in, I also posted this to BW.

This was taken back to the complainants who decided that they had complained about the only boat name they could see that day.

 

Some people get offended by anything, some people feel they have to be offended on a daily or hourly basis, it seems you may belong in this latest social category.

 

Well that's just ideots taking the p*as about the coal.

 

Nope not easily offended far from a "Snowflake" as your suggesting. Just dont like to see scruffy eyesore's polluting our beautiful inland waterways system.

 

I will say that one man's eyesore is another man's pride and joy...???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

The point is the canal and rivers in the uk are there for everyone to enjoy regardless of wealth or background and should not be detracted from by scruffy eye sores with social misfits in what are really some of the countrys beauty spots.

Is this not an oxymoron?  It is certainly illogical to say the canals and rivers are for all to enjoy and then say some people shouldn't be allowed toenjoy them.

  • Greenie 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Is this not an oxymoron?  It is certainly illogical to say the canals and rivers are for all to enjoy and then say some people shouldn't be allowed toenjoy them.

Dont confuse it, it's on a roll...

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

Just dont like to see scruffy eyesore's polluting our beautiful inland waterways system.

20190526_050922.jpg.5ae102864f30a163e485fbee8599c006.jpg

 

Saw this boat at Windmill End earlier this year.  The owners were very proud of the stuff on the roof, and in fact were boasting about it later.

 

I missed the best bit though - there was a moped balanced precariously across the gas locker at the bow!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

20190526_050922.jpg.5ae102864f30a163e485fbee8599c006.jpg

 

Saw this boat at Windmill End earlier this year.  The owners were very proud of the stuff on the roof, and in fact were boasting about it later.

 

I missed the best bit though - there was a moped balanced precariously across the gas locker at the bow!

But is this not your own boat?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Jerra said:

Is this not an oxymoron?  It is certainly illogical to say the canals and rivers are for all to enjoy and then say some people shouldn't be allowed toenjoy them.

It not an oxy anything, never said "some people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy them", the point is some people detract from others enjoyment of our joint inland water ways system. 

Edited by BeetBee

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We were extremely proud of this roof when we lived aboard. I think Matty has a photo of us polluting the towpath too

 

FB_IMG_1564425871591.jpg

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

Not a fourth generation lock keeper at all or any of that. I have used the canals and rivers for the past 24 yrs or so boating,  owned vatious small cruisers and worked my way up to a classic 60's sports boat suitable for choppy stuff. (so you know your boats)

 

The point is the canal and rivers in the uk are there for everyone to enjoy regardless of wealth or background (c'mon, to use the water you have to pay, even for the smallest or scruffiest boat, 50' of scruffy pays the same licence as 50' of brand new shiny) and should not be detracted from by scruffy eye sores (in the eye of the beholder) with social misfits (in whose world, yours?mine?) in what are really some of the countrys beauty spots.

 

Just my opinion and your more than welcome to your own. I'm not going to change it and I'm sure I wont change yours so we should agree to differ. 

 

Like to see any boat thats loved and cared for (yes) but dont like to trip over other peoples junk and detritus on mornings or at canal sides, lots of that is prevalent on the Nottingham canal and trent area which you could argue has contributed to my view. (spawning junk onto the towpath is plainly out of order)

 

 

 

 

We can agree to differ on the boats, but I'll concur on how some boaters can abuse the towpath which is something that shouldn't be accepted. A BBQ and chairs for the afternoon is fine but not a backyard's detritus in the grass. A boat, after all, is supposed to be self contained and able to move at will. Crap on the roof, only your business. Crap on the towpath, everybody else's business too,

  • Happy 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

We can agree to differ on the boats, but I'll concur on how some boaters can abuse the towpath which is something that shouldn't be accepted. A BBQ and chairs for the afternoon is fine but not a backyard's detritus in the grass. A boat, after all, is supposed to be self contained and able to move at will. Crap on the roof, only your business. Crap on the towpath, everybody else's business too,

I think we have found more common ground than not.

 

I take onboard your point about the boat being self contained and that "Crap on the roof, only your business. Crap on the towpath, everybody else's business too"

  • Greenie 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BeetBee said:

Not a fourth generation lock keeper at all or any of that. I have used the canals and rivers for the past 24 yrs or so boating,  owned vatious small cruisers and worked my way up to a classic 60's sports boat suitable for choppy stuff. 

 

The point is the canal and rivers in the uk are there for everyone to enjoy regardless of wealth or background and should not be detracted from by scruffy eye sores with social misfits in what are really some of the countrys beauty spots.

 

Just my opinion and your more than welcome to your own. I'm not going to change it and I'm sure I wont change yours so we should agree to differ. 

 

Like to see any boat thats loved and cared for but dont like to trip over other peoples junk and detritus on mornings or at canal sides, lots of that is prevalent on the Nottingham canal and trent area which you could argue has contributed to my view. 

 

 

 

 

I think the original foto was taken in London, so more a shit hole than a beauty spot innitt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, BeetBee said:

It not an oxy anything, never said "some people shouldn't be allowed to enjoy them", the point is some people detract from others enjoyment of our joint inland water ways system. 

You said"The point is the canal and rivers in the uk are there for everyone to enjoy regardless of wealth or background and should not be detracted from by scruffy eye sores with social misfits in what are really some of the countrys beauty spots.".

 

Please explain how all people can enjoy the canals if the can't afford a shiney boat or their background and or health leads them to be a social misfit, when you say they shouldn't be there detracting from your enjopyment.

  • Greenie 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 hours ago, BeetBee said:

I can see why people wouldn't want his iron snail moored near them with all of the crap hes got on the roof. Maybe make the narrowboat less of an eyesore and less people would complain. 

 

Have you considered attending a diversity awareness training workshop? Diversity includes pikeys with boats covered in crap! ?

14 hours ago, BeetBee said:

 

 

It is odd how some people play the victim but never stop to consider how their own behaviour might be impacting anyone else.

Edited by blackrose

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 30/07/2019 at 09:39, Mike Todd said:

For us, one of the characteristics of being on the canal (and we are high usage not liveaboard) is the fact that you live cheek by jowl with such a wide range of folk.

Not just canals but boating in general. 

I was chatting to a neighbour at the marina the other day and he remarked that he loved my boat but wooden boats were so expensive to maintain. 

I pointed out that his Fairline Targa 50 cost more than I've spent on boating in 30+ years and the guy who sells the Big Issue who is mooring his little yacht here for the summer is going to teach me how to fly fish for bass at the weekend. 

Edited by carlt

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.