The Guardian - The Waterways tale of everyday pikeys.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

14 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

More steam than smoke

That'll be why he said !a BIT of smoke". Good atmospheric photo: looking at it, you can almost hear and smell it. I'm pleased to read that this loco, along with another of the line's fleet, has been preserved.

Edited by Athy

the bloke is living like a mong if that was my neighbours front garden or back garden , he would be moving sharply what a disgrace

Edited by Athy
Removing bad language following a report.

9 minutes ago, Athy said:

That'll be why he said !a BIT of smoke". Good atmospheric photo: looking at it, you can almost hear and smell it. I'm pleased to read that this loco, along with another of the line's fleet, has been preserved.

I was just musing - once all our diesel powered boats have been banished or re-engineered, I wonder what will happen to our esteemed site owner's boat?

6 minutes ago, Mike Todd said:

I was just musing - once all our diesel powered boats have been banished or re-engineered, I wonder what will happen to our esteemed site owner's boat?

Along with 'Hasty' and a few others, it'll be towing the rest down the cut like modern-day tom puddings.

35 minutes ago, Nut said:

the bloke is living like a mong if that was my neighbours front garden or back garden , he would be moving sharply what a disgrace

The above comment was edited. I’m not sure about censoring comments, and have no strong issue with the original post, it was ignored and raised no replies. Probably because it sounded like the rant of a Nut. 

if the letter ‘F’ followed by dashes causes offence, why not remove the more offensive word ‘mong’ at the same time?

And the apostrophie’s missing (assuming there’s only 1 neighbour).

• Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, Goliath said:

The above comment was edited. I’m not sure about censoring comments, and have no strong issue with the original post, it was ignored and raised no replies. Probably because it sounded like the rant of a Nut. 

if the letter ‘F’ followed by dashes causes offence, why not remove the more offensive word ‘mong’ at the same time?

And the apostrophie’s missing (assuming there’s only 1 neighbour).

It was reported because of the mong word which is highly offensive to those who have or are involved with people who have Downs. Unfortunately the Mod concerned doesn't see it as offensive so let it stand but removed the f word.

There was a member banned from here a while ago for using that word............

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Loddon said:

It was reported because of the mong word which is highly offensive to those who have or are involved with people who have Downs. Unfortunately the Mod concerned doesn't see it as offensive so let it stand but removed the f word.

There was a member banned from here a while ago for using that word............

Maybe the Mod should have a rethink. 

• Greenie 1

On 29/07/2019 at 17:56, mrsmelly said:

Both lifestyles of course are about choices. No one forces the land dwellers to live in some brick/stone/concrete immovable structure and no one forces bloke on boat to live on boat. I was once a boring sod that thought complying with society meant living in a house and bought one, or so over the years. Thankfuly for myself I realised it was a boring lifestyle and have for many years lived aboard a superior boating lifestyle. My choice. I comply to the letter of the law and more with what I am meant to do and pay for my boat licence. I dont pay for council tax as its not required living on a moving boat, I doubt the people stuck in houses/flats in London pay for a boat licence as thats not a requirement for house owners. each to their own. What I can never however understand is people with moveable boats living in a crap hole called London, that one still defeats me.

I'm very tempted ! ???

59 minutes ago, Loddon said:

Why am I not surprised?

It seems that if a mod is unaware that certain words can be highly offensive, then no harm is actually done by their use.

Most disappointing, but unfortunately exactly what I have also experienced.

I've actually met Marcus Trower at an NBTA stand at a canal festival, as well as responding to his various output on social media.

Whilst I was able to have fairly intelligent conversation with other NBTA representatives, and had some sympathy for some of what they say about CRT's actions in the London area, Marcus unfortunately regularly makes claims about things that can easily be proved as being untrue, and did so as I tried to talk to him on that occasion.  When I pointed out his errors he said exact accuracy wasn't necessary in making a case, and some things had more dramatic effect if exaggerated(!)

So whilst I'm not completely against everything NBTA, I have always felt that with his tendency to be "economical with the truth" that Marcus Trower is doing their organisation no favours at all.

It's a shame the journalists regularly end up basing their articles on people like Mr Trower, and not on more typical examples with a bit less of an axe to grind.

6 hours ago, Loddon said:

Unfortunately the Mod concerned doesn't see it as offensive so let it stand............

I hope it wasn't the same mod who found the word "b***" offensive because it once, many many years ago, had a less savoury meaning than the mild term it has become. 

Edited by Athy
To bowdlerise biological swearing.

On 29/07/2019 at 22:00, BeetBee said:

Nope not trolling just pressed the wrong button. 

I do think our national asset of historic waterways seems to be steadily being taken over by modern day tramps, detracting from the quiet tranquillity of our beauty spots with eye sores that need to be removed. 

Sorry if you disagree but hey that's what free thought and free speach is for in our liberal democracy ...works both ways ???

I think they've  been taken over by people who think that buying a boat entitles them to look down on others.

Canals were never intended to be tranquil or beauty spots so perhaps none of us belong there.

Keith

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, carlt said:

I hope it wasn't the same mod who found the word "berk" offensive because it once, many many years ago, had a less savoury meaning than the mild term it has become. 

Not at all offensive as it is simply a hunting reference ?

• Happy 1

On 29/07/2019 at 17:57, Athy said:

I note that the article includes multiple us eof the expression "Continuous cruising licence". Surely there is no such thing? Otherwise it's an interesting read.

There is what is essentially a Continuous Cruising Licence, or at least a Licence that identifies someone without a home mooring, the serial number on it always finishes with '007' or at least ours always did, until we got a mooring.

Edited by Wanderer Vagabond

3 minutes ago, Wanderer Vagabond said:

There is what is essentially a Continuous Cruising Licence, or at least a Licence that identifies someone without a home mooring, the serial number on it always finishes with '007' or at least ours always did, until we got a mooring.

Still does say 007. I always renew as without a home mooring even when I have one, saves me notifying if I go on my jollies. I have a mooring now and renewed in january as a ccer, this has only ever been picked up on once and CART bod rang me and just said he would update records to put my mooring place. When I renewed I again put no mooring, its never meant anything to me as I never take the pee when out and about anyway. due again in january and I will put no home mooring. 

I have consulted a mental health care professional {luckily I have one here at home) who confirms that the word used by Nut can cause offence. So please, don't use it again.

I must admit that I hadn't heard it before. Every day's a school day.

45 minutes ago, Athy said:

I have consulted a mental health care professional {luckily I have one here at home) who confirms that the word used by Nut can cause offence. So please, don't use it again.

I must admit that I hadn't heard it before. Every day's a school day.

no need to get someone to confirm it for some of us. Quite a horrible word, well known in the 70s playground. Sadly, it's being heard again. Language is fantastic but some words and their prejudices should be consigned to the bin.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

no need to get someone to confirm it for some of us. Quite a horrible word, well known in the 70s playground. Sadly, it's being heard again. Language is fantastic but some words and their prejudices should be consigned to the bin.

Indeed an unpleasant term, but if it was used in 1970s playgrounds, then that is the reason that neither Athy nor myself had heard of it - it was well after our time.  People seem to be too ready to assign perverse or negligent reasons to moderators' actions.

I was also surprised the word was not deleted.

A much more positive owner of a similar  name is Billy Monger. If you don’t know the name, you still have a fortnight to watch the truly inspiring BBC documentary “Driven”, the Billy Monger story. 

He was involved in a horrendous crash in Formula 4 at Donington which resulted in him losing both legs aged 18. He is an incredibly positive young man and I would recommend you watch it. 

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p06qx4gt

• Greenie 2