The Guardian - The Waterways tale of everyday pikeys.

Alan de Enfield

Featured Posts

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jul/29/london-property-crisis-canal-narrowboat-gentrification

Once an appealing housing alternative, narrowboat living has boomed, leading to overcrowding, skyrocketing costs and war with land-based locals

by Donna Ferguson

Marcus Trower has seen a lot of changes to London’s canals over the eight years he has lived on his boat. Where once, even in the heart of the city, there was usually a grassy bank he could moor next to, there are now just smooth concrete slabs. Residential moorings have been taken over by businesses running bar barges and restaurant boats, and tall glass buildings have sprung up on the waterside, overshadowing the water. “No mooring here,” the signs say.

But for Trower, it is the level of abuse he receives in central London that makes him feel most unwelcome. “It ranges from being called a pikey to having stones thrown at my boat.”

The vast majority of London’s “continuous cruisers” – boaters like Trower who live on the city’s canals but move around regularly so they are not obliged to pay for an expensive permanent mooring – get harassed by local residents nowadays, he says.

Marcus Trower, from the National Bargee Travellers Association, with his son, Cillian

Marcus Trower, from the National Bargee Travellers Association, with his son, Cillian. Photograph: Alecsandra Raluca Dragoi/the Guardian

Edited by Alan de Enfield

The local residents should welcome this diversity into the heart of London.   It's so unfair that a widebeam boat covered in his worldly belongings, including logs for burning in the winter, should be made to feel unwelcome by local residents who are obliged to comply with smokeless regulations and have to pay council tax, water and sewage rates, and probably live in a conservation area that limits what they can do with their front gardens, their front doors, their house colour, etc. while he is obliged to pay for nothing more than a canal licence and has almost no controls on what he does with his boat.  Those who are empowered and can afford to pay should treat travellers, be they gypsies or bargees, as welcome, and they should subsidise their living style to encourage diversity in the local community.

............................   NOT !!

.................... oh, and I have nothing to say about his choice of a name for the blameless little lad.

Edited by Murflynn
  • Greenie 2

7 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

The "national bargee travellers association"...???...best to not associate with them. 

Are you in Kings ?

Bottom of the ramp on A Pontoon (you where at the other end) ?

If so said hello to you today.

Painting our boat which is moored next to where yours was before you moved it.

You appeared to be having (shall we say) 'fun' moving it the other day. Be happy to give you a few pointers, if you wish.

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Haha 2

41 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

I can see why people wouldn't want his iron snail moored near them 

It looks like a steel boat to me.

38 minutes ago, Murflynn said:

The local residents should welcome this diversity into the heart of London.   It's so unfair that a widebeam boat covered in his worldly belongings, including logs for burning in the winter, should be made to feel unwelcome by local residents

It looks like a narrowboat to me.

I note that the article includes multiple us eof the expression "Continuous cruising licence". Surely there is no such thing? Otherwise it's an interesting read.

Edited by Athy

35 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Are you in Kings ?

Bottom of the ramp on A Pontoon (you where at the other end) ?

If so said hello to you today.

Painting our boat which is moored next to where yours was before you moved it.

You appeared to be having (shall we say) 'fun' moving it the other day. Be happy to give you a few pointers, if you wish.

No not me Alan, I've sold Bee last week to a Guy who never owned a boat or controlled a boat before. Buying a 1960's classic sports cruise as a first boat was a little bit adventurous for him but he wanted her...??

Please befriend him and give him some gental guidance (to an RYA course) or I think I'll be reading about her / him in the papers. 

Pretty sure Bee will end in tears for Peter and it's a shame as I've kept her in such good order in the time I've had her. I'm in the market for a narrowboat and believe your ex one is up for sale, was she pretty reliable / when did you sell her to become a 'live on board' at kings? 

Edited by BeetBee

33 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

I can see why people wouldn't want his iron snail moored near them with all of the crap hes got on the roof. Maybe make the narrowboat less of an eyesore and less people would complain. 

perhaps if he had Victorian clothing and campaign furniture he’d be more to your liking ?

• Greenie 2

3 minutes ago, Goliath said:

perhaps if he had Victorian clothing and campaign furniture he’d be more to your liking ?

Nope not into the reto scene, just in to tidy boats and waterways. Dont you think scruffy mobile rust buckets with assorted crap on the roof detract from the beautiful scenery and quiet retreats that the inland waterways offer the wider public ?

• Greenie 1

26 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

Nope not into the reto scene, just in to tidy boats and waterways. Dont you think scruffy mobile rust buckets with assorted crap on the roof detract from the beautiful scenery and quiet retreats that the inland waterways offer the wider public ?

Nope

And the boat in the photo don’t look like a rust bucket. 

• Greenie 1

29 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

No not me Alan, I've sold Bee last week to a Guy who never owned a boat or controlled a boat before. Buying a 1960's classic sports cruise as a first boat was a little bit adventurous for him but he wanted her...??

Please befriend him and give him some gental guidance (to an RYA course) or I think I'll be reading about her / him in the papers. 

Pretty sure Bee will end in tears for Peter and it's a shame as I've kept her in such good order in the time I've had her. I'm in the market for a narrowboat and believe your ex one is up for sale, was she pretty reliable / when did you sell her to become a 'live on board' at kings? 

It will end in tears  if he hits anymore boats at full throttle and …………………………… no, I don't want to talk about it.

Juno was sold  4 years ago in August.

Was looking at her today.

The inside had be 'girlied' and a bit of 'London white' splashed about. Last painted 4 years ago (and will still polish up nicely) Blacked 5 years ago.

It was the most reliable boat have ever had. engine done 10,000 hours and not a whisp of smoke or drop of oil used.

13MM BASE PLATE.

OIL CHANGE EVERY 100 HOURS RELIGIOUSLY

PM me if you wish (I can even do a deal on a complete spare engine and gearbox I have in my shed - you'll never need any spares ever again)

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Nope

And the boat in the photo don’t look like a rust bucket. 

Agree to differ there.

Bet you it is...lol 

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

It will end in tears  if he hits anymore boats at full throttle and …………………………… no, I don't want to talk about it.

Juno was sold  4 years ago in August.

Was looking at her today.

The inside had be 'girlied' and a bit of 'London white' splashed about. Last painted 4 years ago (and will still polish up nicely) Blacked 5 years ago.

It was the most reliable boat have ever had. engine done 10,000 hours and not a whisp of smoke or drop of oil used.

13MM BASE PLATE.

OIL CHANGE EVERY 100 HOURS RELIGIOUSLY

PM me if you wish (I can even do a deal on a complete spare engine and gearbox I have in my shed - you'll never need any spares ever again)

Thanks Alan, I will later. 

38 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

Agree to differ there.

Bet you it is...lol 

I’ll continue to disagree.

So they’re asking for it are they?

Stones being thrown?

next time anyone reports a stone throwing we must remember to ask what was on the roof and what’s the general state of the boat. 

And then decide if they were a fair target or not. 

1 hour ago, Goliath said:

I’ll continue to disagree.

So they’re asking for it are they?

Stones being thrown?

next time anyone reports a stone throwing we must remember to ask what was on the roof and what’s the general state of the boat. 

And then decide if they were a fair target or not. 

Took that to the next level haven't you, typical liberal comment...sorry if I sound a bit judgemental ???

2 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

Berate scruffy boats, criticise people for their choices in life and bandy about your boat deals. I, sir, have a scruffy, small boat and I hope the sight of it gives you palpitations if you deign to grace us ditch dwellers with your presence!

???

Edited by BeetBee

Nope not trolling just pressed the wrong button. 

I do think our national asset of historic waterways seems to be steadily being taken over by modern day tramps, detracting from the quiet tranquillity of our beauty spots with eye sores that need to be removed. 

Sorry if you disagree but hey that's what free thought and free speach is for in our liberal democracy ...works both ways ???

Edited by BeetBee

13 minutes ago, BeetBee said:

Nope not trolling just pressed the wrong button. 

I do think our national asset of historic waterways seems to be steadily being taken over by modern day tramps, detracting from the quiet tranquillity of our beauty spots with eye sores that need to be removed. 

Sorry if you disagree but hey that's what free thought and free speach is for in our liberal democracy ...works both ways ???

Please tell us your affinity with the canals. I'm going to shoot myself in the foot because now you'll reveal you're fourth generation lock-keeper. But maybe, like most of us, you're not. I'm a middle aged guy who has enjoyed the canals since being a kid. I haven't got shed loads of cash to throw around. A canoe would be enough. I can just manage a small cruiser and the associated bills. I'm not the only person like that on the forum. Like townies moving to the countryside complaining of crowing sounds in the morning, some people buying a boat on the canal now, expect a line of clone 60/70' leisure boats. Ailsa Craig and Cressie and loads of thers would be booted off by these 'new guardians'

• Greenie 4