Flooding in Caslefield last night.

frangar

Featured Posts

Surely if the Upper Irwell is linked to the Manchester Ship Canal, the flow should have passed that way, or did the basins at Salford flood too.

There is another river that flows into the Castlefield that provided Brindley with his water supply and that is the River Medlock

The Irwell had had its share of flood, these include floods in 1946, 1954, 1980 and 2007. twp flood storage basins were constructed at Littleton Road. Kersal as part of the River Irwell flood defence scheme.  

Just to add to this thread, the Medlock overflow at the weir (Knott Mill), was diverted through subterranean drains and by 1849 there was a new drain channel under Castle Quay. Perhaps this should be investigated.

Castlefield3.jpg

32 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

But, surely that's one of the benefits of being on a boat - what's the worry ?

I am not sure I would like to be on the canal in Whaley Bridge, or even on the Peak Forest with the Goyt being so high, the first two aqueducts on the main line go over the Goyt and Black Brook.

28 minutes ago, matty40s said:

I am not sure I would like to be on the canal in Whaley Bridge, or even on the Peak Forest with the Goyt being so high, the first two aqueducts on the main line go over the Goyt and Black Brook.

The Goyt is way down below the canal level, so can't see any problem.

8 minutes ago, matty40s said:

Still see no problem??

There is still no problem with the Goyt flooding the canal. The problem is that if the dam breaks Whaley Bridge town is at risk. CaRT are draining the reservoir into the Goyt at the moment.

But it could damage and undermine the canal further downstream if it rises to unusual levels.

This is how many of the other embankment collapses occurred, e.g. Dutton, Croxton

Edited by Dave123

6 minutes ago, Dave123 said:

But it could damage and undermine the canal further downstream if it rises to unusual levels.

This is how many of the other embankment collapses occurred, e.g. Dutton, Croxton

I did try to get this across.....

• Greenie 1

Just been over to High Lane and driving back the heavens opened again about an hour ago around Disley and Marple. Was chatting with a guy who had gone down to the cruising club to check his boat. He said he was also a member of the sailing club at Toddbrook. This was just before they announced the part collapse of the dam and evacuation of the town. Guess his boating will be on the canal for the immediate future. The amount of water it is dropping is just insane. I bailed out about 150 litres (15 2 gallon buckets full) from the cockpit of mine earlier; that lot dropped yesterday alone. Just hope that everyone manages to keep safe and more major damage to property avoided.