Project OBD ( Norman 32 )

W+T

Featured Posts

7 hours ago, BMC ON L PLATES said:

I take my hat off to you sir... Well done and dont loose sight...

I have also bought a cabin cruiser that needs a complete refit and paint etc but its all the painting and wood work etc that makes it fun and interesting.. Im 100 percent behind you with this one mate and im following with great interest. Keep the up dates coming

Thats some boat name lol. C`van looks nice :)

Thanks for the support. I dont know what i am more looking forward to more, the stretch etc or fit out. Either way though looking forward to it.  

What cruiser have you got then ? 

I had some good new last night, the transport company say they can get the boat out once its 44 foot :) happy days as otherwise it would of had to be done in two halves then moved to a yard then finished. 

On 16/11/2019 at 17:07, W+T said:

Thats some boat name lol. C`van looks nice :)

Thanks for the support. I dont know what i am more looking forward to more, the stretch etc or fit out. Either way though looking forward to it.  

What cruiser have you got then ? 

I had some good new last night, the transport company say they can get the boat out once its 44 foot :) happy days as otherwise it would of had to be done in two halves then moved to a yard then finished. 

It's not just one boat name lol I've got 3 boats ?

I'm looking forward to all your project so hurry up and get started I want to follow your lead Haha..  

I've got a seamaster 23 at least I was told it was but I'm not 100 percent sure as all the seamasters have totaly different windows..

Excellent news on the transport I'm really keen to see the project kick off the ground especially with stretching it..

I've always liked the norman 32 I like that double berth layout bow and stern. 

On 17/11/2019 at 17:34, BMC ON L PLATES said:

It's not just one boat name lol I've got 3 boats ?

I'm looking forward to all your project so hurry up and get started I want to follow your lead Haha..  

I've got a seamaster 23 at least I was told it was but I'm not 100 percent sure as all the seamasters have totaly different windows..

Excellent news on the transport I'm really keen to see the project kick off the ground especially with stretching it..

I've always liked the norman 32 I like that double berth layout bow and stern. 

I looked at a Seamaster before I decided on this Norman, nice boats, well the one i looked at wasnt to bad, very rough as with all I look at but could of been mad good, that one had very large windows filling the cabin sides all around,, to large for my liking so i would of fitted new ones. 

Well a mate did this for me to get an idea on what it will look like.

Few things need altering though. The CC has been lengthend which it wont be as keeping that as original. It will be reverse layout so the Port holes will be at the back of the front cabin sides. The rear cabin will have  a raised roof of maybe 3 inch , I can only decide on that once the boat has been stretched and i then know what head room is lost with the stringers/supports etc fitted. 

Front cabin

Bow large twin berth, moving back cupboards and storage etc, shower/loo.

Back cabin 

Step down into Galley to one side opposite dining table/berths, stove to one side then seating with cupboards/storage either side of rear cabin door to larger rear deck as that will have the rear bulkhead moved forward to gain 3 foot more deck room with storage underneath.

Thats the rough of it.

So as is

589228082_COZACAN32foot.jpg.a4cbdbacdb8c2f14a46cf01ba92db8ce.jpg

Stretched to 4 foot

1491093492_COZACAN44foot.jpg.22b3c26bddca92271f914cec870170cc.jpg

• Love 1

Love it...... Cant wait to see it all happen... I was thinking of doing a build thread but i don't think people would take much notice...

My one doesn't have the all glass windows as you mentioned, we be leave mine was kitted out bu Springfield boat builders and they took on a different window style.. here's a pic of my project

I currently have to make the wheel house front screen and then the half roof if that makes sense.. i have the glass as the one that was on it was beyond repair so i salvaged the glass but i havent a clue how to go about making it and weather if should be done in fibre glass or wood 

rob 

20191113_084037.jpg

20191113_084050.jpg

20191113_084116.jpg

You are planning on what i did n my other recent boat 

The thing with blogs is it takes so much time, it can take a while for me at times as useless at typing,

I like it for my own benefit as its good to look back at what you have done when times are hard.     

Wayne. I've just gone through your last boat build.. I'm currently up to page 21 and my god I'm impressed by your skills..

I'm going to have to contact you via pm or some thing so you can give me the low down on fibre glass matting etc. I haven't a clue what to use where and why etc you seam just the man for the job...

I'm very interested to see this stretch on this norman. Judging by your previous work it's going to be a good build to follow..

Get chopping mate ?

Rob 

14 minutes ago, BMC ON L PLATES said:

Wayne. I've just gone through your last boat build.. I'm currently up to page 21 and my god I'm impressed by your skills..

I'm going to have to contact you via pm or some thing so you can give me the low down on fibre glass matting etc. I haven't a clue what to use where and why etc you seam just the man for the job...

I'm very interested to see this stretch on this norman. Judging by your previous work it's going to be a good build to follow..

Get chopping mate ?

Rob 

can you post the link to that thread please, am curious how it looks after being done up.

5 hours ago, restlessnomad said:

can you post the link to that thread please, am curious how it looks after being done up.

Which one mate the stretch build is this one were commenting on. 

His other build is the link alone posted on page 2 or 3 on here. 

9 hours ago, BMC ON L PLATES said:

Get chopping mate ?

Rob 

Hi Rob

Bit rude of me. not replying before. 

Well soon be cracking on but as said plans at home first to be done. Frame for the stretch and forgot that i need to fix a car that will be stuck where it is once the boat is here so may aswell fix it and flog it on. More money toward the boat funds :)

PM any time kid, if i can help then more than happy to ;) 

• Happy 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all, hope is going well now winter is upon us.  For me its slow as for some reason work had picked up on the Wayne Boat works. Which i am happy about as all goes into the boat funds for this. 

Sooooo then

I believe i am deloooded, thick and stupid for even thinking about stretching a boat. And some that was from a Marine Engineer, i just askedimage.gif.dc8bb807a057a6394201bfacbc7818f0.gif about it. Like the  stubborn sod i am until i am told the reason and and why it will not work. Nobody has yet but it will have as much structure as a sausage.

So not giving up yet with a negative comments while driving around the 12hrs i do, so plenty of time to faff in my head i have thoughts pop in my head all the time. 

Many years ago had a 26 foot cruiser that i was about to extend the rear deck by 8 foot.  

Why i didnt think of the way i planned that to extend the Norman the same way. My plan was to make a mould from the stern  section of the hull only. This is then moved to the stern of the original hull but over lap by around 300mm and screwed down and braced all around etc to hold the mould in place.  

So the idea is to laminate the mould up and over lap the original transom by say 100mm all around. So this way the new hull stern section will be bonded  to the original transom and bolted also to give more peace of mind.   

So that is the hull done, so onto the top section, here it will of been cut and removed before hand of the hulls section being done.  So just the rear deck section will be moved back  the the gap in the middle filled in and windows resett in place. 

EASY?

See looks great?image.gif.dc8bb807a057a6394201bfacbc7818f0.gif

image.gif.5295d92615e4ee9ba3ae149080d691c6.gif

The reason behind this way of doing it is that it will only have one cut, or section as unlike the cut n shut where there will be two. And the top section is on top as all i can describe is as bricks are laid in a  brick stretcher pattern so this give more support/strength. 

&hash=ca928df53e84bb5f93a63361f59fc88e

Not to sure on the mould thickness yet but quick ork out i plan o 4 lams of 600grm CSM to give a thickness rough;y of 6mm with braces bonded in to keep it straight as possible. Although i could get away maybe with a three 450grm CSM to reduce cost and weight on the one of mould. 

I have been thinking on   making a plug mould from timber and ply etc etc to save on the £000 in GRP materials but i will get a better finihs quicker if i use the boat to make the female mould. 

Cost to make the extension  using a mould from the boat is around £1500 in materials. That sound s lot yes. Now if you see what a good shell of 38 foot, being the largest inland narrow beam cruiser, goes for is around £3k and thus cost me £1200 with engine i am not doing to bad for a 44 footer spec built.

So that was a quickly i have been thinking on :)

All best to you all 

Admiral Faffer. 

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

image.gif

• Greenie 1

45 minutes ago, Cheshire cat said:

I can't wait to see this project start. Do your neighbours know yet Wayne? 

A few do that i like lol

Its booked in for the lift on the 13th Jan. So this weekend i have been clearing out for it and making a pad for the front cradle to level it all up. 

20191222_115748.jpg.a335e3f4a23b100219b28839e317bc41.jpg

20191222_121921.jpg.6ea6b474ce1483c353e0837540cc9a57.jpg

That front wall with the gate to the left is coming down aswell so i can get the 44 foot as that wall is 31 foot from the back of the garden. 

Edited by W+T

• 3 weeks later...

The eagle has landed :)

Had last week off work so me n T had  a few days on Khashoggi as it was her birthday and we needed a chill out. 

Then on Thursday gone i made sure the Norman would fire up, well a few turns and there she blows. Well chuffed with that engine. 

Anyway, Friday me and a mate chugged down to Garstang Marina in good time for the lift which all went well, i used the same chap/company as last time, daft not to at there prices.

It was a bit of stress off loading as just before we got home with the boat i had a bloody haemerage and couldnt see out of one eye so i just got him to drop it roughly level, i will be leveling it out today as my sight is a little better and dont want to twist the shell to much as it is. 

Anyway, clean out today of all the rubbish and drill a drain hole and see about getting the engine out. 

20200110-140537.jpg 

20200110-144128.jpg

20200110-152619.jpg

In a week or two i will be fencing off the front of the drive and removing the gate to get a good work area once i clear the pound out..

So time to go play :)

• Greenie 2

2 hours ago, WotEver said:

What’s with the diagonal water stain on the transom, Wayne? Has it been sat on the bottom?

Is was a submarine kida, lol

received_2173387906233684.jpg

1 hour ago, BilgePump said:

If anyone else had proposed this project, it would be easy to snipe about the practicalities. As it's you, this is going to be awesome. 

Oh i have had a good few saying plenty of negative things about it, a few insulting. hey i am thick skinned ;)  

• Greenie 1

Hi y`all.

Thought i should not sit around and crack on a bit. Only few bits, ripped out the remainder of whats left, very little left, took me about half an hour so i decided to get the engine ready to be lifted out. Again another half hour job once i found my sockets i needed, not the tidiest of workers.

Sooooo

I made a video for Youtube and started a channel. So those who use youtube take a look

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC6WT91e2llKxtu2yukGMnWw?view_as=subscriber

So as of today, ripped out and faffed with the outdrive. well well well, this was the problem of a little wobble i bet lol. I have to thank my mate for helping me out, dont like to use a grinder with one eye and this n that.

It needs a new prop as its twisted and a few mm out of true. hope there isn tto mich more damage.

I wish now i got the on ei found ages ago for spares, could of had it for £50 aswell..

First rid of the rudder

20200115-152623.jpg

Then have a look at the prop/shaft

And eewwwwmy giddy aunt

20200115-153936.jpg

That is compacted fishing line, string, wire and inner tube.

20200115-153942.jpg

20200115-153946.jpg

20200115-154055.jpg

And lets do the twist, like i did last summer Ooooo ( though i dont think it was me that did this )

20200115-154128.jpg

For those that dont do Youbtube, i have cleaned out the pound/work area, this is for when i have fenced off the drive for the boat extension i have much more room and easier access to the extension area.

So now i have two workshops and a good size work area. Lucky boy image.gif.8fc945a51bc6e8edc934316f963bc1a2.gif

Captain Faffer ( as on Youtube image.gif.ac4ab546584aca0eb830159bd3aec04b.gif )

• Greenie 1

6 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Unless that shaft has a hole right down the center it will have a stress crack in the middle and will break soon. Classic half shaft failure twist.

I don’t recall which model he was referring to but my dad told me of one of his cars where every sensible owner carried a spare half shaft in the boot. Just a ten minute job to swap it as long as you’d remembered your tool kit and a can of Hypoid 80 (or whatever was used in those days). 

7 hours ago, Boater Sam said:

Unless that shaft has a hole right down the center it will have a stress crack in the middle and will break soon. Classic half shaft failure twist.

Either way it needs replacing.

30 minutes ago, WotEver said:

I don’t recall which model he was referring to but my dad told me of one of his cars where every sensible owner carried a spare half shaft in the boot. Just a ten minute job to swap it as long as you’d remembered your tool kit and a can of Hypoid 80 (or whatever was used in those days). 

if these are that bad to get damaged easy, or when it happend just unlucky to hit a solid object, it could be worth carrying one.

9 hours ago, W+T said:

if these are that bad to get damaged easy, or when it happend just unlucky to hit a solid object, it could be worth carrying one.

I guess it depends on cost. If they’re not too pricey yeah it might be a good idea. 

• 2 weeks later...

Ok cracking on a bit.

Feels good now its cleaning up well. Loads of holes to fill, a sin drilled not damage which is good but not great.

Got a good bit done in the last week.

First off i removed the GRP lining from the front cabin. Behind this i found more linings or laminations. I knew there was a sandwich construction but not as much as this, reason the cabin top is good to walk on and feels solid. i guess. I found there to be the inner lining, then a few mm above the first GRP bonded to 6mm or so of wood, maybe a Balsa wood, i dont know. Then another laminate and another 6mm Balsa before the bond to the shell.

20200117_134259.jpg

20200117_133808.jpg

Plan is as the first few foot is rotten and the rest is good and solid i will be cutting back and removing the rotten and damp area. The more i go back it is very hard to remove.

20200117-142017.jpg

That was that once the lining was removed. No big job as easy cut out with the grinder.
I have to do the rear cabin of of removing the lining as i wanted to clean it all out so a good mate, yes i have one image.gif.3650169928423e8e13dc59e1e405a618.gif lol. I used his pressure washer to blast the hell out of it, interior and exterior.

Ah we removed the strakes, we as in me and Charlie, he has been a good un since i am struggling., i did my best to keep what timber i could. Looks like a Mahogany, will keep it to make a new table top again maybe.

Odd as one side had SS screws and the other steel. and drilled at different
spacing.

20200123-125221.jpg

Ah next was the exterior actually. I was going to give a quick clean down, this ended up as a pressure wash the paint off job. Bloody paint chippings everywhere. Hey saves on sanding image.gif.db52cbc070760de42e200eab24bb12ab.gif.

20200123_154805.jpg

20200123_154759.jpg

This took of upto three coats off in places.

Oh and you will see the leg is removed. I did this along with the helm, what a pain in the arse that was as the cable clamps were all seized and who ever fitted them used over long bolts, like 40-75mm long for a small clamp.

20200123-143147.jpg

20200123-143143.jpg

Multi tool is great at cutting in

20200123-142610.jpg

20200123_144144.jpg

Still solid transom

20200123_144148.jpg

Inside looks good now, feels so much like ts getting some where quick now.

20200125-151909.jpg

20200125_152037.jpg

20200125_151922.jpg

20200125_152030.jpg

Besides that i removed half the windows and cleaned them up a bit.

I mite try a different approach to the finish, not sure what but i uslauuly just falp them over then polish and leave them, Suggestions ?

Now again i have lost loads of pics so i will take them aain asap and tell the story more.

Still, got You Tube vids down loading image.gif.485fe27a82033f657058ac513de46dd8.gif if ther any good.

My god this is harder than doing the boat.

Captain Faffer

• Greenie 2

• 2 weeks later...

Okeydoke.

To say i have been off work for near 6 weeks this boat should be a lot further on i think.

Still its getting there to the point i can do more things to show for it. Weather needs to warn to use sealant etc etc again. So windows cant go in or blank off the front cabin rear windows.

So what have i been up to.

As i am removing the engine and think that paying a crane to come in to do it for me i though i would make a new Gantry. My other is a bit small at 7 foot high as i need 10 foot to get the height needed. So i cracked on to build a new one last week.

Oh before that though i removed all the windows then started to clean them up a bit and cleaned more of the boat out.

I used my Multitool here to break the seal of the windows to save bending and time removing them. A steel cutting blade is good if you get some screws/bolts that will not come out.

20200125_154706.jpg

See the difference here, right side is pressure washed.

20200129_120405.jpg

So the new gantry fits just nice.

20200208-131739.jpg

Its only a 4cyl diesel but dam its heavy, had lighter V6 and V8 engines to play with. But then its an old thing at near 50 years old now.

20200208-131946.jpg

It was a lot easier with the girder trolley and gantry on castors, struggled in the past with out.

20200208-131827.jpg

20200208-132344.jpg

20200208-132510.jpg

Got the thing out then before i wheeled into the pound we gave it a wash down with some TFR.

Come up nice i think. I wonder if it has been washed down in the last 50 years ???????

20200208-141337.jpg

20200208-141328.jpg

20200208-142237.jpg

Plan for now is to just strip off the intercooler and what not then paitn strip it to give it a new coat of original paint. Find a side entry inlet manifold so i can get a lower engine bay lid. Unless i do what i plan to do image.gif.eb446f5ad8830d711e9419af7556274a.gifimage.gif.63bd69bcdcd0346d51a8dc58ae269252.gif

20200208-143610.jpg

20200208-143617.jpg

20200208-143623.jpg

Oh yes, these engine have an exhaust lol

20200208-132235.jpg

Forgot to detach it so halfway through the lift the hacksaw came out image.gif.0a20ccb4b230f6475633fe559cd66abf.gif

That looks so feeble for weeks of it. Although i feel i have been working on it every day. I have struggled still with one eye to build the gantry with welding. One of them jobs that go.....Weld ....grind....weld ....grind.......weld....grind.....have a moment and a brew....weld ....sod it that will do image.gif.5386fc239da7e5c60a70e7c9581c751a.gif

• Greenie 4