Going into Cambridge

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

Have a friend who is visiting that has never been to Cambridge but wants to go.

Looks like I will have to buy a visitor licence to get beyond Bottisham lock ?

And then you can't get past Jesus lock - is that correct ?

So it doesn't seem like u will be able to show her much of Cambridge by boat at all ?

You can or could but a licence from the Cam Commissioners office at Clayhythe or online. If gives you 90 days of use.

Nice river and you get to go past all the boat houses. Yes, Jesus Green is limit of navigation at this time of year.

Where are you at the moment? If it's convenient for you, why not moor in Ely, and take a train to Cantab? The journey takes only 15 - 20 minutes and there are about 70 (really) trains per day.

6 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I'm based at Upware currently so not far away, just wanted to take my friend out for a little jaunt but it seems like I can only get as far as Bottisham lock unless I buy an extra licence ?

Yep. You have to buy an annual visitors licence-£53 for a 50fter for example. Ok if you want to visit regulary but a bit dear for a day or two.

For my money I would take your friend to dinner at the Five Miles and then cruise into Ely on the boat and catch the train..

Have a look here  https://www.camconservancy.org/2019-20-fees?lightbox=dataItem-j4g04jkp

Edited by PaulJ

15 minutes ago, Peter X said:

If you want to go boating in Cambridge, here's how to do it:

First, get an Oxford student or graduate to teach you how to use a punt properly.

Then, go to Cambridge and hire a punt.

I suspect that will get you jeered at. As I understand it they traditionally stand on the opposite ends of the pump. I think Cambridge on the box and Oxford on the slope.

5 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Have a friend who is visiting that has never been to Cambridge but wants to go.

And then you can't get past Jesus lock - is that correct ?

You can pass through Jesus Lock between the 1st October and 31st March as far as Byron's Pool (Mill Pit) along the Cam Backs.

Navigating the Cam Backs

As to the licence, You can get a Cam add-on when you next renew your EA one.

Most Cambridge punts have a deck at both ends so it is not possible to punt in Oxford style even if you wanted to. 

This gives you a flavour of the trip along the backs. I'll be doing another trip in October,  drop me a PM if you would like to hitch a lift. 

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2019/02/25/cambridge-and-the-backs-and-more-trees/