Liveaboards' Clothing

David Mack

Featured Posts

25 minutes ago, David Mack said:

It seems you need to wear designer clothing if you're going to be a liveaboard!

https://www.theguardian.com/cities/2019/jul/28/canalboat-owners-on-life-afloat-it-forces-you-to-be-green

Interesting the choice of people Dave, what I would regard as a regular guy, then architect, modle, film maker, song writer, artistic director, head chef. n o carpenters, electricians, school teachers or computer technicians,

It's an interesting article, if only because the reporter sought out a fair number of interviewees rather than just speaking to one boater and cobbling an article together from what they said.

The first bloke says that he has "campaign-style furniture" and "reconstituted wood". I'm sure that he knows what he means, but unsure if I do.

1 hour ago, Athy said:

It's an interesting article, if only because the reporter sought out a fair number of interviewees rather than just speaking to one boater and cobbling an article together from what they said.

The first bloke says that he has "campaign-style furniture" and "reconstituted wood". I'm sure that he knows what he means, but unsure if I do.

MDF

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Interesting the choice of people Dave, what I would regard as a regular guy, then architect, modle, film maker, song writer, artistic director, head chef. n o carpenters, electricians, school teachers or computer technicians,

Well it is the Guardian, or rather the Observer, if it is on a Sunday. More their sort of stereotypical professions.

Did the paper dress them for the photos?   The pictures with the fancy clothes list the source of those clothes, whilst other pictures show them "in their own clothes".

I suppose the paper thought they didn't look smart enough...

Typical newby boaters that think they have to be different to anyone else. We have always prided ourselves on looking precisely how we have always looked and not suddenly grown dreadlocks or started wearing neckerchiefs. No one ever knows we live on a boat unless they have known us for a long time.

• Greenie 1

15 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Typical newby boaters that think they have to be different to anyone else. We have always prided ourselves on looking precisely how we have always looked and not suddenly grown dreadlocks or started wearing neckerchiefs. No one ever knows we live on a boat unless they have known us for a long time.

I've worn a neckerchief for ages, on land, and I couldn't live on my boat. Not enough hair for dreads, but I understand your sentiments fully. Not being a liveaboad I have to slum it and buy jeans and t-shirts from Asda and boots from Screwfix. I love the way this article presents it as canal chic and it's really just urban expensive look with a green canal hippy twist. Bovine excrement!

1 minute ago, BilgePump said:

I've worn a neckerchief for ages, on land, and I couldn't live on my boat. Not enough hair for dreads, but I understand your sentiments fully. Not being a liveaboad I have to slum it and buy jeans and t-shirts from Asda and boots from Screwfix. I love the way this article presents it as canal chic and it's really just urban expensive look with a green canal hippy twist. Bovine excrement!

Absolutely.

I note that two of the boaters are described as "wearing their own clothes". I assume this is a polite way of saying "ordinary clothes that do not have a designer label" or "went to several shops and chose the clothes themselves rather than going to a designer shop and saying "please supply me with an image"".

Some very nice boat interiors.

..............Dave

Have just spent the night at Henley on Thames. As I walked past the engine the protruding alternator caught my trousers and put a HUGE designer tear in the knee, Went to the pub, drinking beer at £4.60/pint with an exposed knee made me feel just so trendy.,

In previous years we have moored up then gone shopping/pubbing before they have the chance to collect the mooring fee, this time the rent collector launch was alongside before I had even got the pins knocked in.

.............Dave

10 hours ago, dmr said:

In previous years we have moored up then gone shopping/pubbing before they have the chance to collect the mooring fee, this time the rent collector launch was alongside before I had even got the pins knocked in.

It's always been like that.

Being a creature of The Thames originally, I was amazed to come onto the cut and find I could moor overnight for free, and even more amazed to find people moaning that they had to move on after two weeks and how unfair it was.

Different worlds. 

1 hour ago, Johny London said:

What's with all this greener lifestyle? All I ever do is burn stuff - oil, gas, diesel, wood, coal :(

And in so many areas there is no, or little recycling available. 

Too true. I gave up sorting my recycling now because 9 times out of ten there is nowhere for it. On the 10th occasion, well, it's already in a mucky bin bag with everything else so in the general waste it goes. I'm really disappointed that there are not recycling facilities at ALL rubbish points (of which are few and far between in any case, usually over spilling and stinking). On e place there was a sign saying the recycling lorry couldn't reach anymore - it's just not good enough.

2 minutes ago, Johny London said:

Too true. I gave up sorting my recycling now because 9 times out of ten there is nowhere for it. On the 10th occasion, well, it's already in a mucky bin bag with everything else so in the general waste it goes. I'm really disappointed that there are not recycling facilities at ALL rubbish points (of which are few and far between in any case, usually over spilling and stinking). On e place there was a sign saying the recycling lorry couldn't reach anymore - it's just not good enough.

only time I've ever seen a recycling bin at services it had been stuffed with regular rubbish as the other bins were overflowing. In fact, now I come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been to any canalside bins that were not overflowing. :(

When I was bringing the boat down from up north, recycling seemed plentiful, but it just up and disappeared somewhere along the way - bugger all in the south, and there just is not room to keep storing stuff on the deck of a narrowboat. The other option is carrying all the heavy glass etc along to the car, driving to a recycling point somewhere - I do see them in a lot of supermarkets. But being in different places all the time I never really know what I'm going to find and it certainly isn't worth burning fuel taking stuff around specially.