Battery bank without grounding?

Tomek

Featured Posts

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Has anyone ever been killed by a common earth stud becoming detached and a 240v fault making something 12v go live?

Probably not, but for the tuppence it costs why not follow best practise?

• Greenie 2

My 230vac and 12vdc are on the same fixing and there is no chance of them both becoming detached from the hull but remaing connected by the fixing.

They are bolted to a 10mm engine bed with the 12v on one side of the steel and the 230v on the other, so if the bolt breaks they seperate.

As safe as seperate fixings but only one hole.

On 28/07/2019 at 20:43, catweasel said:

May I ask a couple of questions about your LPG conversion?

Do you find it cheaper than petrol on a boat size 13kg bottle?
Did you do your own conversion?
Many thanks.

Afternoon. Mr Catweasel

Sorry that I am late replying to the query.  Vastly cheaper to run the gennie on gas.  Turning up my records I see that I have run the generator for 250 hrs, used 3 and a bit bottles of gas and 5.3 litres of petrol.  I have been advised that it's a good idea to run it on petrol from time to time.  The Generator is a Kipor IG1000 and if I had my time again I might get a more powerful one, but a more powerful one would be heavier to lift on and off the boat.  So I don't know.

I fitted the gas conversion myself and use neither of my two 13kg propane bottle to run it.  I bought a third bottle which fits in front on the other two in by bow locker.  I don't take the bottle off the boat when I use the generator.  I use an extra long flexible hose.

The conversion was pretty straightorward. I got the conversion kit from https://www.sailandtrail.co.uk/.

3 hours ago, Theo said:

Afternoon. Mr Catweasel

Sorry that I am late replying to the query.  Vastly cheaper to run the gennie on gas.  Turning up my records I see that I have run the generator for 250 hrs, used 3 and a bit bottles of gas and 5.3 litres of petrol.  I have been advised that it's a good idea to run it on petrol from time to time.  The Generator is a Kipor IG1000 and if I had my time again I might get a more powerful one, but a more powerful one would be heavier to lift on and off the boat.  So I don't know.

I fitted the gas conversion myself and use neither of my two 13kg propane bottle to run it.  I bought a third bottle which fits in front on the other two in by bow locker.  I don't take the bottle off the boat when I use the generator.  I use an extra long flexible hose.

The conversion was pretty straightorward. I got the conversion kit from https://www.sailandtrail.co.uk/.

Thanks that is great info. Will defo look into it for winter, especially with the likelihood of increasing diesel prices.
Thanks again :)

19 hours ago, catweasel said:

Thanks that is great info. Will defo look into it for winter, especially with the likelihood of increasing diesel prices.
Thanks again :)

Forgot to mention that I fitted a "gas fuse" which shuts of the supply if there is a sudden drop in the delivery line frinstance if the flexi gets cut.

N