Mooring "Pin" Quality Not What It Used To Be?

alan_fincher

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, Ex Brummie said:

The ring/loop is there to put your hammer shaft through to twist the pin in a tight hole so it can be removed.

Fair point. 
My late dad (he is coming up in a lot of my recent posts!) hated mooring pins and had his friend make some Rhond anchors up. These worked great for cruiser style boats but not sure for a narrowboat. I did however find this picture on the interweb, which is a combination of mooring pin and rhond anchor. It has made me think:

10-P1690900.JPG

Edited by Guest

19 hours ago, catweasel said:

I always assumed the loop was for the purpose of passing another pin through so as to double pin it.  I too use a clove hitch for the same reason. 

That's how I do it.  Generally I don't pass the rope through the loop (and round the pin of course) but put a second pin, without a loop, through the first one's loop at a different angle.  It makes a big difference to how the pins hold, especially if the ground is a bit soft.

• Greenie 1

10 hours ago, catweasel said:

Fair point. 
My late dad (he is coming up in a lot of my recent posts!) hated mooring pins and had his friend make some Rhond anchors up. These worked great for cruiser style boats but not sure for a narrowboat. I did however find this picture on the interweb, which is a combination of mooring pin and rhond anchor. It has made me think:

10-P1690900.JPG

A ''Wrong anchor'' :closedeyes:

16 hours ago, catweasel said:

Fair point. 

10-P1690900.JPG

Thanks, I've finally found out what that hooky thing is that has been in my gas locker for ten years. 

• Greenie 1

Of course elderly boaters will be using this forum , unless they are zooming out of locks, so they know who they are...

i got moaned at on thursday for being too slow into a lock, the fact the counter was 3 inches out and the boat stuck fast with the front 15 ft in the lock, escaped the notice of the moanee. ( nice modern made up bbc word there) . They then moaned at my wife who was bounce  flushing the boat into the lock.

having got through the lock and tied up further up they never came past. Maybe they are stuck for ever on ‘ that lump the working boat caused’

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

Of course elderly boaters will be using this forum , unless they are zooming out of locks, so they know who they are...

i got moaned at on thursday for being too slow into a lock, the fact the counter was 3 inches out and the boat stuck fast with the front 15 ft in the lock, escaped the notice of the moanee. ( nice modern made up bbc word there) . They then moaned at my wife who was bounce  flushing the boat into the lock.

having got through the lock and tied up further up they never came past. Maybe they are stuck for ever on ‘ that lump the working boat caused’

Professional moaners. Seem to be more on the canals today than 50 years ago.
Moanee is very good :)

2 hours ago, roland elsdon said:

How old is an elderly boater? Not sure which category I'm in.

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

Professional moaners. Seem to be more on the canals today than 50 years ago.
Moanee is very good :)

I think that there might be incorrect use of the suffix there.

Moaner = the one who moans

Moanee = the one who is moaned at.

?

N

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Theo said:

I think that there might be incorrect use of the suffix there.

Moaner = the one who moans

Moanee = the one who is moaned at.

?

N

On reading it again, fair point ;)

19 minutes ago, BilgePump said:

^^^^^^
This, this, and forever this! When will we ever grow up and stop playing with boats? For a lot of us, never.

I dread the day when I am too ancient to play about with a boat of some sort. 

I've known two guys in their 80s who both died at the helm of small boats on the sea. Doing what they loved, one sailing, one fishing, stroke and heart attack. If I get too infirm to go boating, strap me to the mast and send me out into the atlantic!