Won't use RCR, but what is the alternative?

Featured Posts

3 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

150 quid for a throttle cable really good value that and how many years have you been paying that...

just saying.... 

each to their own 

Like I said, equivalent of a pint per week.

I prefer that type of insurance to all these protection plans anytime I buy things. They never break down. This boat does.

On 27/07/2019 at 09:50, Loddon said:

It should be a condition of owning a boat that you must be able to fix most problems yourself!

After all nothing on a boat is rocket science ;)

I can fix most things but sods law says the big issues happen when I am miles from home. I therefore use the retainer scheme and pay my nominal sum for peace of mind that there is someone to help me in a crisis.

• Greenie 1

14 minutes ago, Capt Ahab said:

I can fix most things but sods law says the big issues happen when I am miles from home. I therefore use the retainer scheme and pay my nominal sum for peace of mind that there is someone to help me in a crisis.

I'm the same, but like the fact that the retainer scheme is part of our insurance. £45 to get you out of a situation where you are up the creek without a paddle is a small price to pay. I'd pay the £65 a year if it wasnt part of our deal.

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎27‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 09:55, rgreg said:

I once needed to call out RCR to repair a fuel filter bracket that required welding; they sorted it out swiftly. I suspect that most boaters (even those most mechanically skilled) don't carry welding gear.

The only trouble is that it's not clear to me from RCR's Ts&Cs whether brackets and welding are actually covered? Maybe you were just lucky and it was an easy fix so the particular engineer decided to do it. Others might not be so fortunate.

The following is not covered by RPC: • Wear and tear is not covered. • Bolts, brackets and welding that attach the Specified Part. • Lack of oil in the gearbox due to poor maintenance. • Outboards & out-drives which are not serviced annually (evidence required when making claim). • Any part not listed. • Consumables such as cables, filters, rubber components and the like that require routine wear and tear replacement. • Fuel contamination (such as diesel bug or water in fuel) leading to failure of a part. • Water ingress leading to failure of part. • Costs to get access to part ( i.e. dismantling / removal of engine).

24 minutes ago, blackrose said:

The only trouble is that it's not clear to me from RCR's Ts&Cs whether brackets and welding are actually covered? Maybe you were just lucky and it was an easy fix so the particular engineer decided to do it. Others might not be so fortunate.

The following is not covered by RPC: • Wear and tear is not covered. • Bolts, brackets and welding that attach the Specified Part. • Lack of oil in the gearbox due to poor maintenance. • Outboards & out-drives which are not serviced annually (evidence required when making claim). • Any part not listed. • Consumables such as cables, filters, rubber components and the like that require routine wear and tear replacement. • Fuel contamination (such as diesel bug or water in fuel) leading to failure of a part. • Water ingress leading to failure of part. • Costs to get access to part ( i.e. dismantling / removal of engine).

That must be approaching the level of "not covered" that a surveyor quotes in his report.

9 hours ago, blackrose said:

The following is not covered by RPC: • Wear and tear is not covered. • Bolts, brackets and welding that attach the Specified Part. • Lack of oil in the gearbox due to poor maintenance. • Outboards & out-drives which are not serviced annually (evidence required when making claim). • Any part not listed. • Consumables such as cables, filters, rubber components and the like that require routine wear and tear replacement. • Fuel contamination (such as diesel bug or water in fuel) leading to failure of a part. • Water ingress leading to failure of part. • Costs to get access to part ( i.e. dismantling / removal of 

It wasn't covered by the replacement parts service: it was a repair that I paid a callout for as I was on a retainer membership at the time. 

• Greenie 1

On 01/08/2019 at 17:32, Dr Bob said:

Our throttle cable went last year. Called RCR out. Isnt that what you do?

Fixed in 3 hrs.

Not really worth carrying a spare.......and we have some string.

Interesting.  The T&Cs quoted above say that cables are excluded as they are considered to be consumables.

Edited by dor

2 hours ago, dor said:

Interesting.  The T&Cs quoted above say that cables are excluded as they are considered to be consumables.

I think you’d have to pay for the cable but they’d fit it for you as part of their cover. 

• Greenie 1

So! After 60 replies and no words since the OP made his statement.

What have we learned?

Nipper

Edited by nipper
complete what i was ritin!

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Yes, had to pay £20 squid ish for the cable but the work and call out free.

I bought a cable in the Calcutt shop. Wouldn't want to change it myself but it might save time e.g. RCR man happened not to have a suitable one with him.

2 hours ago, nipper said:

So! After 60 replies and no words since the OP made his statement.

What have we learned?

Nipper

Also that some people think RCR is worth having and some don't and that RCR are not able to fix every problem.

Well I have had this boat for 18 years now so if it goes wrong I will have to bit the bullet and get it sorted out of all the membership money I would have paid out. I had 3 Labrador dogs and never had any insurance on them. I think the biggest bill was for a tail removal after an accident. I dont take out extended guarantees. 

3 minutes ago, ditchcrawler said:

I dont take out extended guarantees. 

Me neither. I don't regard membership as a way to save money but as a way to be sure I can easily get someone to come and help if I have a problem that leaves me stranded whenever and wherever that might be. 

• Greenie 2

When we had the engine fire in harecastle we were jolly glad we had rcr membership. Okay we could have no doubt found someone to help but being in a poor signal area didn't make searching easy. Ok there was a bit of a delay which we probably noticed more as Iain's mum had a stroke and was in hospital and we wanted to get on our way but in view of what was involved the end result was acceptable

Edited by haggis
  • Greenie 2