Won't use RCR, but what is the alternative?

Featured Posts

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I lived in the little mess adjacent to the Wheelhouse on Euryalus. Only six in there. 

Have we gone slightly off topic?

:offtopic: Ya have to bring a bit of serious boating in to the discussion every now and then else people might think a " Big woolwich " is actualy a big boat :ninja:

• Greenie 1

5 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Or - even worse, some might consider that 7 foot width is a 'normal' boat !!

We've been ripped off, Nightwatch is only 6' 8" wide. Save money on the Thames (sq mtr measurement.)

25 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

:offtopic: Ya have to bring a bit of serious boating in to the discussion every now and then else people might think a " Big woolwich " is actualy a big boat :ninja:

And I though big woowich was a term of endearment as in "Come here you big woolwich"!  :D

• Greenie 1
  • Haha 1

Back on topic, my experience with RCR is 10/10

Replaced a faulty alternator within 2 hours - luck because the engineer was on another job on the Napton flight.

When the output shaft of my PRM parted company with the rest of the gearbox, had a first response within 90 minutes and diagnosis with action plan.  They did not have a spare unit on the shelf to swop out but did arrange for the box to be repaired and back on the engine within 48 hours.  It was not internal damage but caused by a BIG lump of 4 x 2 some years ago which stopped the DM3 dead in its tracks, so I had to pay for the job but grateful as it could have cost a new g/b otherwise. 

I was able to remove the unit myself, but no way would have had the spare shaft!

2 hours ago, rustynewbery said:

Back on topic, my experience with RCR is 10/10

Replaced a faulty alternator within 2 hours - luck because the engineer was on another job on the Napton flight.

When the output shaft of my PRM parted company with the rest of the gearbox, had a first response within 90 minutes and diagnosis with action plan.  They did not have a spare unit on the shelf to swop out but did arrange for the box to be repaired and back on the engine within 48 hours.  It was not internal damage but caused by a BIG lump of 4 x 2 some years ago which stopped the DM3 dead in its tracks, so I had to pay for the job but grateful as it could have cost a new g/b otherwise. 

I was able to remove the unit myself, but no way would have had the spare shaft!

While moored behind a "broken" boat on the Leicester arm I saw an RCR team remove an engine and replace it with a new one; all from the towpath.

It took all day but I was very impressed.

Edited by frahkn

8 hours ago, Richard10002 said:

You are correct in that there is no obligation. However, it is always possible that RCR did as well as they could, under the circumstances, and it is merely the OPs perception that it was bad service. Were this the case, someone would generally be able to explain how it might have been as good as it gets, and they might then reconsider - the context of the issue would be helpful.

No the context is irrelevant to the OP's question. It's not up to you or me to decide whether the OP's perception of the service they received from RCR was correct or incorrect, just as it's not up to us to decide whether Athy's perception of his experience was right or wrong. They were the customers and it was their money so it's their perception that counts. I don't like shopping in Tescos or the taste of Mars Bars but lots of other people do. Who's right?

The OP asked for alternatives, it's as simple as that. If those options are limited then the OP can decide for him/herself what to do. 

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 1

I don't think the OP will find a similar nationwide service like RCR but may be able to find a selection of boat yards in different areas that provide a call out service. As an example we once called out an engineer from Streethay Wharf but we were only half a days boating from them so not far by road, I've no idea how far a yard like that would travel and how much they would charge per mile.

We've called RCR out twice in 3 years and I'd give them 10/10.

Couldnt have wanted better. Both times RCR guys.

Not suggesting the OP has got his impression of them wrong but just unlucky he picked the wrong time to call them. It is interesting that most respondents on this thread and others seem to like the service they get from RCR.....we certainly value their support.

I've been a member of RCR since buying my boat 4 years ago. Worth the money (to me) just for the peace of mind. Have called them out three times and they came within a few hours each time, twice while we were in the marina (having discovered a problem just before setting off) and once at a remote lock on the Oxford.

Happy with the response each time.

I have also used Days Afloat from Braunston once and Colin Rose (CB Boats), also Braunston, twice. I was happy with both of them but these were not for breakdowns etc. I'm not sure I'd want to rely on them if I broke down somewhere. Possibly they could attend quickly but (probably) more likely I'd have to wait a few days depending how busy they were. Possibly I would be outside of the area they cover, as I expect I will be within the next few days.

I've used them a few times - all resulted in a good conclusion, in that I was able to get going again. I used them on Saturday, in fact, as I had a throttle cable snap on me (the RCR guy said he's done numerous of these over the last few weeks and was wondering if the hot weather had affected them?). I had to wait about 3 hours and was about to give up and find someone locally when the RCR guy (a contractor, not actually from the RCR) turned up.

I had been expecting a phone call from the RCR to let me know someone was on the way - still haven't heard from them! But anyway, the guy sorted me out and I was able to continue moving.

I've found their communication has a little to be desired but when someone does finally turn up, they get the job done promptly. Will continue my membership next year for sure.

10/10 from me. After being with RCR for 6 years I had to call them out last month for the first time.

I was in Hest Bank on the Lancaster Canal with alternator problems and feared that with us being in the far north of the canal system we would have to wait ages.. I phoned them at 8.30 on a Monday morning and the chap arrived around 10am (he had come from Stockport). He was brilliant, very knowledgeable, and got us underway after an hour.

On 30/07/2019 at 14:20, NB Caelmiri said:

I've used them a few times - all resulted in a good conclusion, in that I was able to get going again. I used them on Saturday, in fact, as I had a throttle cable snap on me (the RCR guy said he's done numerous of these over the last few weeks and was wondering if the hot weather had affected them?). I had to wait about 3 hours and was about to give up and find someone locally when the RCR guy (a contractor, not actually from the RCR) turned up.

I had been expecting a phone call from the RCR to let me know someone was on the way - still haven't heard from them! But anyway, the guy sorted me out and I was able to continue moving.

I've found their communication has a little to be desired but when someone does finally turn up, they get the job done promptly. Will continue my membership next year for sure.

I really need to carry a spare throttle cable. Not long having bought our boat, the cable went. In the dark, in November on the South Oxford. I rigged up some string up through the deck boards and that became my throttle. Exciting boys own stuff eh! So that was fifteen years ago. I really ought to get a spare.

So, after 40 posts, most comments on RCR are positive, and very few suggestions of a service that comes anywhere close.

I wonder what the OP will end up deciding to do - it will definitely be interesting to hear who they plan to use if not RCR.

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

I rigged up some string up through the deck boards and that became my throttle. Exciting boys own stuff eh! So that was fifteen years ago. I really ought to get a spare.

15 years for a bit of string...…….., yes, you really need to get a bit more string because it will snap soon.

39 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

15 years for a bit of string...…….., yes, you really need to get a bit more string because it will snap soon.

Yes he’s been very foolish everyone knows you should use farmers baling twine for that sort of thing....

???

On the the subject of RCR never used them but had retainer membership for a quite a few years via our insurer up to April this year when it went up to 75 quid  and I decided I would either use a local contractor or pay the 40 quid when I need them. I don’t consider the gold/silver membership value for money. I know it includes parts cover but for a very limited set of parts. 

Edited by jonathanA

8 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

I really need to carry a spare throttle cable. Not long having bought our boat, the cable went. In the dark, in November on the South Oxford. I rigged up some string up through the deck boards and that became my throttle. Exciting boys own stuff eh! So that was fifteen years ago. I really ought to get a spare.

Our throttle cable went last year. Called RCR out. Isnt that what you do?

Fixed in 3 hrs.

Not really worth carrying a spare.......and we have some string.

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Dr Bob said:

Our throttle cable went last year. Called RCR out. Isnt that what you do?

Fixed in 3 hrs.

Not really worth carrying a spare.......and we have some string.

My make do and mend cost nowt. RCR? How much? ?

26 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

Must be that there london prices 5.40 a pint ....

The Bronze level membership is only just over £3 a week.

Thats not bad for peace of mind.

when you call them, they even ask you if you need any supplies brought out. I winder if they bring hobgoblin gold?