Won't use RCR, but what is the alternative?

Featured Posts

Hi All,

After a very poor response from RCR on the 1st occasion of calling for their assistance after 3 years no claims silver membership I don't want to deal with them any more but what is the alternative? I have found a very good alternative in the South Midlands called Days Afloat who will travel to a boat and do reliable repairs, services and installations. Does anyone know of a similar Mechanic/Engineer in the NW particularly Nantwich/Middlewich area where I am moving my home mooring to?

Thanks for useful replies, Nik

RCR tend to call out the local boatyard to where you are.  If the local boatyard send a numpty, you have a bad experience.  If the local boatyard send out a good chap, you have a great experience.

I don't pay for RCR, but I have access to Google who know where the local boatyards are!

• Greenie 2

If the OP would tell us what their 'bad experience' was, we could get a better perspective on this.  I too have had good experiences with RCR, both with their own mechanics and when a local boatyard has been used.  However, I didn't agree with their policy change a few years ago when they started including certain but not all replacement parts and hiked their membership fees accordingly.

I have called RCR twice in my 10 years or so of boat ownership. The first time it was an unmitigated disaster but they did compensate me, to my complete satisfaction, for that. The second time they came out it was a brilliant success and experience. As said it depends on who comes out to you. They do have their problems I suppose, especially considering where their mechanics have to go and work, the conditions they they might have to put up with and the, normally, complete inaccessability of some of the stuff they have to work on but anyone else would have those same problems where boats are concerned. I'm still with them and likely to stay with them for the foreseeable future.

• Greenie 1

I don't think the OP is under any obligation to justify exactly why they aren't satisfied with RCR or relate details of their experience to this forum. If you're all happy with the service you've received from RCR that's all well and good, but it almost sounds like some people here are telling the OP that they should be satisfied when clearly they're not. The OP was simply asking if there are any alternatives. 

Personally I don't bother with RCR. I carry lots of spares and will attempt any repairs myself, but I guess it depends on your abilities and your boat; how old and what sort of condition it's in, access to the engine, etc. But that's my alternative.

Edited by blackrose
  • Greenie 2

I recently travelled for a while with another boat that had a recurring engine problem and witnessed the difficulty he had at times finding someone to come out and look at it. Had he been a member of RCR he would certainly have found assistance much easier. 

16 minutes ago, blackrose said:

Personally I don't bother with RCR. I carry lots of spares and will attempt any repairs myself, but I guess it depends on your abilities and your boat; how old and what sort of condition it's in, access to the engine, etc. But that's my alternative.

It should be a condition of owning a boat that you must be able to fix most problems yourself!

After all nothing on a boat is rocket science ;)

Just now, Loddon said:

It should be a condition of owning a boat that you must be able to fix most problems yourself!

After all nothing on a boat is rocket science ;)

I once needed to call out RCR to repair a fuel filter bracket that required welding; they sorted it out swiftly. I suspect that most boaters (even those most mechanically skilled) don't carry welding gear.

46 minutes ago, blackrose said:

I don't think the OP is under any obligation to justify exactly why they aren't satisfied with RCR or relate details of their experience to this forum. If you're all happy with the service you've received from RCR that's all well and good, but it almost sounds like some people here are telling the OP that they should be satisfied when clearly they're not. The OP was simply asking if there are any alternatives. 

You are correct in that there is no obligation. However, it is always possible that RCR did as well as they could, under the circumstances, and it is merely the OPs perception that it was bad service. Were this the case, someone would generally be able to explain how it might have been as good as it gets, and they might then reconsider - the context of the issue would be helpful.

In particular, the service that RCR provide isn't widely available, as evidenced by the lack of alternatives suggested here.

My only experience of them was when a fellow club boaters engine wouldn't start, and nobody in the club could help. They called RCR and it actually took them several hours to get someone on site. There was quite a bit of moaning about how long it was taking but, once they arrived, they got it going. Turned out they had a 2 hour drive to get here, and were on a job when they got the call, so had to finish that one first.

In some cases, a customer might see that as very poor service, and vow never to use them again, and in others a customer might be delighted they were available to get them going, no matter how long it took.

Not so long ago I had several bad experiences on the trot with a variety of shops...... in each case I said to myself, "I'm never shopping there again!!!". However, after a while, this changed to, "If I'm not careful here, I'm going to run out of places to shop!"

I dont think there is such a service in the NW, so RCR may be as good as it gets. I am a member as a consequence of my insurance with GJW. I've never had a need to call someone like this, or to wish I could..... but it's comforting to know that I can.

Called em out three times. First time christmas, fantastic service and saevd me a hell of a lot of money. Second time exellent. Third time very quick respone with medoicre outcome that did however enable me to get somewhere ( back to base ) and do a proper repair myself. VGVFM in my opinion.

22 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

You are correct in that there is no obligation. However, it is always possible that RCR did as well as they could, under the circumstances, and it is merely the OPs perception that it was bad service. Were this the case, someone would generally be able to explain how it might have been as good as it gets, and they might then reconsider - the context of the issue would be helpful.

In particular, the service that RCR provide isn't widely available, as evidenced by the lack of alternatives suggested here.

My only experience of them was when a fellow club boaters engine wouldn't start, and nobody in the club could help. They called RCR and it actually took them several hours to get someone on site. There was quite a bit of moaning about how long it was taking but, once they arrived, they got it going. Turned out they had a 2 hour drive to get here, and were on a job when they got the call, so had to finish that one first.

In some cases, a customer might see that as very poor service, and vow never to use them again, and in others a customer might be delighted they were available to get them going, no matter how long it took.

Not so long ago I had several bad experiences on the trot with a variety of shops...... in each case I said to myself, "I'm never shopping there again!!!". However, after a while, this changed to, "If I'm not careful here, I'm going to run out of places to shop!"

I dont think there is such a service in the NW, so RCR may be as good as it gets. I am a member as a consequence of my insurance with GJW. I've never had a need to call someone like this, or to wish I could..... but it's comforting to know that I can.

Your last paragraph. Spot on. I just need to justify the expenditure v need.

23 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I think post 5 says all you need to know. Personally we're not members of RCR. Been thinking about it for approximately 15 years or so. Dread the day I get a hole in the skin tank!?

Been there..!  We limped along to the next boatyard, they welded it while we did some shopping we were on our way a few hours later.

The main issue I have with RCR is the name - they are not truly a river rescue service if you read the t&c's.  My greatest fear is breaking down on a river, but if it's fixable in situ I don't need RCR, if it isn't, then RCR are no use anyway as they won't take you to a save haven.

Also, I don't think RCR do anything to enhance the community spirit inherent in boating.  For example I've had a couple of occasions where  other boaters have helped with a tow and been happy to do it.  It's one of the joys of boating that there is usually someone around to help and most folk get a kick out of helping a fellow in distress.  Motoring used to be the same but watch how everyone speeds by now while the poor soul by the roadside waits for the AA etc.  

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Called em out three times. First time christmas, fantastic service and saevd me a hell of a lot of money. Second time exellent. Third time very quick respone with medoicre outcome that did however enable me to get somewhere ( back to base ) and do a proper repair myself. VGVFM in my opinion.

Why, I wonder, when I read your posts, I read them as if young  Boris had written them?

• Haha 1

Just now, Nightwatch said:

Why, I wonder, when I read your posts, I read them as if young  Boris had written them?

? It would in effect be an ( Old Boris ) he is a fair bit younger than me and a hell of a lot younger than you ;)

• Horror 1

I would say in the few years we have been boating, summat like just 17 we have towed other boats differing distances about five times. 

2 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

? It would in effect be an ( Old Boris ) he is a fair bit younger than me and a hell of a lot younger than you ;)

You really are no good at this age thing. I'm just not aging very well. 

2 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

I would say in the few years we have been boating, summat like just 17 we have towed other boats differing distances about five times. 

You really are no good at this age thing. I'm just not aging very well. 

I remember us towing Ambuscade about 75? laying that humungous tow line out ont wasp flight deckin big bights then released from various anchoring points as the tension started to come on. Big bit of string it was.

13 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I remember us towing Ambuscade about 75? laying that humungous tow line out ont wasp flight deckin big bights then released from various anchoring points as the tension started to come on. Big bit of string it was.

Massive. My birthday, 1970, my 17th. We were at sea off the South East Coast of Australia. All hands on deck fora Towex. We were to be towed by some Aussie ship. Me, considering age and function onboard, shouldn't have been anywhere near the upper deck, in roughers, hammering rain and blowing a hoolie, with inappropriate footwear, sliding around the place. Bloody stupid deck ape games. Never to be forgotten. Worse things happen at sea? Dam right they do. I wasn't happy! 

Edited by Nightwatch

Last I heard, the RAC will turn out under their fleet cover to a boat for a mechanical breakdown but charge a fee, you don't have to be a member at all.

North West engineer? Chris Jones 07887565531, Beta agent and general engineer will see you right. Known him years.

16 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Massive. My birthday, 1970, my 17th. We were at sea off the South East Coast of Australia. All hands on deck fora Towex. We were to be towed by some Aussie ship. Me, considering age and function onboard, shouldn't have been anywhere near the upper deck, in roughers, hammering rain and blowing a hoolie, with inappropriate footwear, sliding around the place. Bloody stupid deck ape games. Never to be forgotten. Worse things happen at sea? Dam right they do. I wasn't happy! 

So elequently put ? speaking as a said Deck Ape it were always great fun. Doing a RAS in the arctic circle north of Iceland on several occasions during winter was also moocho entertaining in storm force!! which we had to do some times as well you know. Certainly puts the Thames tideway or Trent end into perspective ?

That's nowt. Having to prepare and serve four meals a day in force 8+ gales. During OOW manouvours. In cold weather, in hot weather and even in tropical weather. 

It was a tough life.  Even had to cope with a blue station card!

edit to add that I shouldn't use the term 'deck ape'. We all had our jobs to do. Even the bilge rats, grease monkeys etc.

Edited by Nightwatch

3 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

That's nowt. Having to prepare and serve four meals a day in force 8+ gales. During OOW manouvours. In cold weather, in hot weather and even in tropical weather. 

It was a tough life.  Even had to cope with a blue station card!

edit to add that I shouldn't use the term 'deck ape'. We all had our jobs to do. Even the bilge rats, grease monkeys etc.

Call us what you want you flunky :D. I had a couple of blue card jobs, I was spud tanky whilst out the med and up the ice, and ships painter, both blue card jobs brilliant times. OOW manouvres were great, my part of ship being a deck ape was often at the wheel and boy how knackering was that during such times ?