Changing Light Fittings

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

I have some, to me, horrible plastic/fluorescent light fittings. I know I can change the tubes to modern LED types but there are a total of 14 and I found a price of 25 quid for 30mm tubes. Now I know I don't have to change all of them but they seem expensive. (Maybe I haven't researched enough yet?)

I would really like some LED spotlights but the current lights are recessed quite a bit and for a few inches into the roof. Looking at the panels the slot and lock in from one side. So basically to replace some of the panels I would have to take 3/4 of the roof back from right to left to replace with bigger panels.

Obviously this is a big job for some light fitting changes !! 

Any other ideas ? Can you insert some of the same strips of would and glue them up there ?

IMG_20190726_140908803__1564146627_94.197.120.244.jpg

Mount the new lights on a patress that is big enough to cover the hole for the existing lights. Keep the patress fairly thin to minimise loss of headroom.

Screw/glue the patress and new light to the deckhead.

N

5 minutes ago, BEngo said:

Mount the new lights on a patress that is big enough to cover the hole for the existing lights. Keep the patress fairly thin to minimise loss of headroom.

Screw/glue the patress and new light to the deckhead.

N

Something like 6mm Oak faced ply would do the job.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/273607737484

or

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/6mm-Oak-Faced-Veneered-Plywood-D-I-Y-Caravan-Project-605mm-x-1220mm-2x4ft-aprx/273607737480?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D57477%26meid%3Dd5ffa834c5a24a3ab6368299078dfd1a%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D1%26rkt%3D2%26sd%3D273607737484%26itm%3D273607737480%26pg%3D2047675&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

I see, so your saying not to remove any of the current panels, but infill them with something similar and put the spot light into that ?

How about a thin strip of metal plate with the spot light in that - too industrial looking ?

28 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Yes it is. I have a photo. Hopefully it will appear very soon.

IMG_1618.JPG

As if by magic. Puff! And there it is.

Slightly OT but did you know Aten lighting do a really good led replacement lamp for these? Uses just under half the power of the fluorescent tube. Changed all mine and not noticed any less light output or spread. 

No connection just a satisfied customer. 

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/42led-circular.html

10 minutes ago, frangar said:

Slightly OT but did you know Aten lighting do a really good led replacement lamp for these? Uses just under half the power of the fluorescent tube. Changed all mine and not noticed any less light output or spread. 

No connection just a satisfied customer. 

https://www.atenlighting.co.uk/42led-circular.html

Thank you for that. I have seen their conversion, bought replacement leds from dedazzled. 

The issue I have is, over the years the plastic outer slider switches have become brittle and snapped on a number of them. I have been asking, though not constantly, for if anyone had any to sell to no avail. It's not life threatening.

4 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

Thank you for that. I have seen their conversion, bought replacement leds from dedazzled. 

The issue I have is, over the years the plastic outer slider switches have become brittle and snapped on a number of them. I have been asking, though not constantly, for if anyone had any to sell to no avail. It's not life threatening.

Out of interest did you put one or two of the bedazzled leds in? I tried those but needed another light to see them with just one of the discs in! 

My 2D units have external switches fitted 

5DD4956F-93DF-40DE-AC30-0500AED0D1BD.jpeg.f1df834a3b345768e33713b2d36dd770.jpeg

Im not sure you can get the brass surrounds any more though. 

1 minute ago, frangar said:

Out of interest did you put one or two of the bedazzled leds in? I tried those but needed another light to see them with just one of the discs in! 

My 2D units have external switches fitted 

5DD4956F-93DF-40DE-AC30-0500AED0D1BD.jpeg.f1df834a3b345768e33713b2d36dd770.jpeg

Im not sure you can get the brass surrounds any more though. 

Only one cluster per fitting. The problem I have is getting the 'Custer to stay stuck to the upper part of the fitting, away from the diffuser. Tried sticky pads of various names, but no, they drop. Getting ample light. Second in command insists there isn't enough when putting on her war paint.

My train of thought now is a tiny screw with a very short bit of hardship insulation 'tube' and screw the blighter. I also need to get a round tuit.

Brass surrounds? Possibly not. Saw some about ten years ago. Wasn't very clever in those days! To be able to fit separate switches. Might be able to nowadays. Someone, some time ago suggested rocker switch. Same reason I haven't done it. 

1 hour ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I see, so your saying not to remove any of the current panels, but infill them with something similar and put the spot light into that ?

How about a thin strip of metal plate with the spot light in that - too industrial looking ?

I would be very surprised if any new panels were not entirely different in shade and appearance from the existing ones, so covering the hole would be my solution.

The roof is timber, so a timber mounting is the obvious route but you could certainly use a metal plate.  Stainless Steel, aluminium, copper and brass are all possibilities.    Depends what you like, what the style of your replacement light is and whether you can get hold of enough metal easily and within your budget.  If feeling as rich as  Paul Allen then gold or silver are also possible:).

N

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Only one cluster per fitting. The problem I have is getting the 'Custer to stay stuck to the upper part of the fitting, away from the diffuser. Tried sticky pads of various names, but no, they drop. Getting ample light. Second in command insists there isn't enough when putting on her war paint.

My train of thought now is a tiny screw with a very short bit of hardship insulation 'tube' and screw the blighter. I also need to get a round tuit.

Brass surrounds? Possibly not. Saw some about ten years ago. Wasn't very clever in those days! To be able to fit separate switches. Might be able to nowadays. Someone, some time ago suggested rocker switch. Same reason I haven't done it. 

I too found sticky pads failed..tried hot melt glue too but that wasn't much better...on the Aten cluster they have handy holes drilled through them so i used a machine screw and nut.

• Greenie 1

4 hours ago, NewCanalBoy said:

I have some, to me, horrible plastic/fluorescent light fittings. I know I can change the tubes to modern LED types but there are a total of 14 and I found a price of 25 quid for 30mm tubes. Now I know I don't have to change all of them but they seem expensive. (Maybe I haven't researched enough yet?)

I would really like some LED spotlights but the current lights are recessed quite a bit and for a few inches into the roof. Looking at the panels the slot and lock in from one side. So basically to replace some of the panels I would have to take 3/4 of the roof back from right to left to replace with bigger panels.

Obviously this is a big job for some light fitting changes !! 

Any other ideas ? Can you insert some of the same strips of would and glue them up there ?

IMG_20190726_140908803__1564146627_94.197.120.244.jpg

We have similar lights on Tyto. I simply dismantled the tube assembly, inserted a lenght of 18x18 aluminium angle and the using holders fitted two or three round LED arrays. The put the diffuser back up. They work fine and are a lot cheaper than LED replacement for the tubes. Bought the LEDs and holders from Aten Lighting.  Another option is to buy flexible LED strips and fix into the fitting. I can't find my photos of what I did but I'll have another look.