Boat review questions.

Mick in Bangkok

Featured Posts

44 minutes ago, blackrose said:

If you're being pedantic that's correct. A lot of people know that their round windows aren't technically portholes but for most mere mortals it's just a term that's come to mean a small, round window.

https://dictionary.cambridge.org/dictionary/english/porthole

They're usually known as scuttles in the Royal Navy who tend not to use the term porthole.

• Happy 1

37 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

They're usually known as scuttles in the Royal Navy who tend not to use the term porthole.

In the MN they are not called scuttles, rather the term portholes is used but more often abbreviated to  "ports". If they are fitted with a steel cover for protection against heavy weather those are known as  deadlights.

Howard

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

but how many narrowboat owners know anything about, or have the slightest interest in, what pushes their boat along?  

When my boat was surveyed, the surveyor commented on the prop, saying I could always change the size if I wanted to, but I probably wouldnt even notice it. I cant even recall whether he was talking about it being a bit small, or a bit large, so I definitely havent noticed it.

From the little said here about the Axiom, the only people who would feel the need to buy one are a few builders building trad type vessels, where a normal prop would require a deeper draught, or the existing owner who is frustrated because their prop isnt big enough. Possibly not a very big market, even if widely known about?

1 hour ago, Neil2 said:

I had a long discussion with an engineer friend about Axiom props some time ago.   In short, his experience was that the Axiom can provide the characteristics of a larger prop at modest diameters, so that you can have the advantage that a big prop gives without having to increase the boat draught.  Conventional wisdom is that if you want a big slow revving engine you must accept a deep draught to accommodate a large dia prop.  It may well be that CTS are/were aware of the properties of Axiom props and built this boat specifically to the owners requirements ie a "trad" engine but with relatively shallow draught.  It sounds like having your cake and eating it but my friend had fitted an Axiom to his boat and was convinced.   There are those that will say if the Axiom was so good why did they go out of business, but how many narrowboat owners know anything about, or have the slightest interest in, what pushes their boat along?  

I think we're looking at a unique boat here and the price tag is entirely justified.  In fact if the OP doesn't buy it I might have a look at it myself...

Broadly my thoughts. If you’re interested in buying a traditionally styled boat of decent length built by a renowned builder and in outwardly good condition and you don’t want to spend £60k your other options are... ...er... and ...er... ...umm.

Well actually there’s Number One, a 70’er with DM2 of similar age and less well known pedigree at Pillings Lock for £42k. By comparison Hope is a snip at £60k. The issue is that this boat is in a niche market so it may not sell easily even at the mythical ‘right’ price. You buy these kind of boats because you want to, and if you want to then don’t ask too many questions unless it’s about specific advice for a boat of this type.

If I’d have consulted the forum about my own boat - coincidentally an older and shorter CTS offering - I’d have been warned off regarding many features. Funny how no one has ever asked “why did you buy that?” on inspecting the boat after the event. Maybe they’re too polite ?.

JP

18 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Factual !

5 minutes ago, Captain Pegg said:

You buy these kind of boats because you want to, and if you want to then don’t ask too many questions unless it’s about specific advice for a boat of this type.

and Rugby boats would probably be one of your first ports of call- if only to register your interest, in the hope that they would call you as soon as they got one of these "overpriced" boats to sell.

'If' I had that sort of money to spend, I'd certainly be interested in Hope. The age doesn't really bother me. Nightwatch is similar age. Now, if I could get anywhere near £60,000 for Nightwatch I'd be really happy.

To the OP. If you like the boat. I can't see any real reason not to buy it. If the price is an issue, a well justified offer may be the way to go. If the price doesn't meet your own personal valuation, in your mind and requirements, then you can walk away. 

(My own opinion is, it's a nice boat, if a little ambitiously priced. It will sell)

Just now, Richard10002 said:

Not sure what you mean? Did you read #15? a post by Alan Fincher.......

You are not the only Alan in the world? It's not all about you? etc. etc. etc.

Indeed - which is why it would be 'normal' to specify to which Alan you are referring.

There are a number of Richard's on the forum - I would consider it only polite to use the  name they wish to be know by that identifies them (Richard10002 for example) which avoids the confusion.

20 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

and Rugby boats would probably be one of your first ports of call- if only to register your interest, in the hope that they would call you as soon as they got one of these "overpriced" boats to sell.

It was at the time but unfortunately it was at the tail end of the previous ownership and I fell foul of some very poor business practice. I’m assured by a reliable source that all is good now so yes I would return (although I don’t anticipate needing to).

JP

3 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Indeed - which is why it would be 'normal' to specify to which Alan you are referring.

Not 'normal' at all.

There are many times when people refer to me as Richard, and I "know" that they mean me. In other cases they refer to Richard, and I "wonder" if they mean me. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they dont. Sometimes I check around to find out, and other times I dont.

I could suggest that, if I was thinking of responding like you did, it would be 'normal' to do some double checking on the basis that, if I hadn't said it, they couldn't mean me, so it must be somebody else. In this case, you wouldn't have had to go far to find out that it wasn't about you.

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

Not 'normal' at all.

There are many times when people refer to me as Richard, and I "know" that they mean me. In other cases they refer to Richard, and I "wonder" if they mean me. Sometimes they do, and sometimes they dont. Sometimes I check around to find out, and other times I dont.

I could suggest that, if I was thinking of responding like you did, it would be 'normal' to do some double checking on the basis that, if I hadn't said it, they couldn't mean me, so it must be somebody else. In this case, you wouldn't have had to go far to find out that it wasn't about you.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

There are a number of Richard's on the forum - ...

Including 3 or 4 RWLPs, sorry RLWPs, or even RPLWs..

If you are seriously in the market for buying or selling a boat a very informative question to ask of a broker whilst on their premises with them and looking at their details of recently sold boats, preferably boats of a similar specification to yours, of what you are interested in buying is.

"What was the actual selling price?"

We had some who declined to answer, fair enough, but  In the case of Rugby Boats under it's current owners, our experience, when we were on their premises, was that they were both forthcoming in answering, and  that the split between asking and selling prices was remarkably small.

The way that question was answered was a major factor in our selection of them to broker the sale of our boat.

Our experience too on selling, was a prompt sale at very close to listed price , even though we had had initial  misgivings that perhaps the suggested  listed price was quite ambitious.