Erewash Canal

Featured Posts

Just finished a week on the Erewash, a first for us. Biggest thing that hit us was how friendly the locals are. It might be urban but does not feel like it at all. The old mill buildings are unlike anything I have seen before. All in all a very pleasant surprise and well worth doing. Difficult to find moorings where you can  get to the edge but with so few boats you are not fighting each other for the few spaces. Shame I couldn't find a decent pub.

Good post. We are presently up at Langley Mill. The Erewash is a like it or like it not Canal. We did the canal in April but have returned for Langley Mill Boatyard to carryout some repairs including welding.

I have been known to patronise The Bunny Hop. A micro bar a stones throw from the basin. On our way up I ventured into the Gallows Inn. Never again. I wondered up the hill and went into the Needlemakers Arms. A very pleasant local pub. I got the bus back. Should have got the bus there as it's very much up hill.

At Sandiacre, forget the Red Lion but a hundred yards further is the White Lion. An okay pub.

We find the locks can be hard work, but no harder than other hard work locks. 

Local lads and lasses are using the locks as swimming pools at present. Not my choice, but hey ho! There's some lovely parts of this underused Canal. Pick and choose where you moor, as always there's horror stories but in our experience no problems that can't be overcome.

Glad you did the venture. 

Edited by Nightwatch
  • Greenie 1

23 minutes ago, pearley said:

Been up and down 3 or 4 times now. We too found the locals very friendly. First couple of times didn't stop until the end bug last time we took our time. Hard locks but lovely.

This is two posters mentioning hard locks? I dont understand as I find all locks the same whatever waterway I am on. Pull up at lock and hover, very occasionaly step off if busy and hold boat in with line . Wife operates lock. Whats hard about it?

• Greenie 1
  • Happy 1

Unlike you, Yorkshire man, I'm a decent sort, bought a very expensive lockwheeling assist device for my better half. I have to add, that I only know they're hard work because I've been told about 15 times since Trent Lock! Repetitive or what?

• Haha 2

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Unlike you, Yorkshire man, I'm a decent sort, bought a very expensive lockwheeling assist device for my better half. I have to add, that I only know they're hard work because I've been told about 15 times since Trent Lock! Repetitive or what?

?

I took one look at the Gallows and decided I wasn't desperate enough for a pint. Locals said the Bridge used to be ok but that is sold for housing conversion. The Barge looked interesting but I didn't fancy stopping near it. Our last day was the real hot one, would have tried the Steamboat but without shelter for our dog opted for the Trent Lock. Beer was terrible couldn't finish 1 pint despite a desperate thirst.

I took one look at the Gallows and decided I wasn't desperate enough for a pint. Locals said the Bridge used to be ok but that is sold for housing conversion. The Barge looked interesting but I didn't fancy stopping near it. Our last day was the real hot one, would have tried the Steamboat but without shelter for our dog opted for the Trent Lock. Beer was terrible couldn't finish 1 pint despite a desperate thirst.

I have to say, with deep regret, that I had two pints in the steamboat both were cloudy and 'Almost' undrinkable. When I went for the second, different Ale I mentioned that the first was cloudy, I didn't really expect the second one to be. Before anyone points out I could have complained, yes I could, but I'm a bit of a wimp. Went in there in April and had a good session. Good Ale good company. In the summer it just seemed different. It's very dog friendly.

You coukdnt have been as thirsty as me, I walked about 3/4 of a mike up hill to a pub that is only a quarter of a inch away on my phone. Needlemakers Arms. Worth the bus ride. Don't walk it. 

MFN (middle of f  nowhere) at Shipley Lock is also to be avoided. At least if you go to MFN from the canal you don't have to go through the police checkpoint on the bridge from Eastwood. 

Press on to Langley Mill - Bunny Hop and the Nepalese across the road will meet all your needs. Sandiacre is also a good overnight mooring.

Locals are friendly and Dan and Vikki at Langley Mill boatyard are the nicest couple you will meet anywhere.

• Greenie 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, PaulD said:

MFN (middle of f  nowhere) at Shipley Lock is also to be avoided. At least if you go to MFN from the canal you don't have to go through the police checkpoint on the bridge from Eastwood. 

Press on to Langley Mill - Bunny Hop and the Nepalese across the road will meet all your needs. Sandiacre is also a good overnight mooring.

Locals are friendly and Dan and Vikki at Langley Mill boatyard are the nicest couple you will meet anywhere.

Ditto to the above, but I don't understand the Shipley Lock comment. We moored there for a few days on our way up back in April.

Ive ridden and boated it. I found the natives friendly but virtually impossible to understand ( and i went to school for seven years only 2 miles away)

we rode the towpath on the tandem, as part of a ride taking in the erewash the nottingham and the cranfleet cut. We expected abuse but instead the locals were great helping lift the bloody great thing round the anti motorbike barriers.

we were wearing australian tops that may have helped , and i said crikey and strewth a lot.

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

You will tell me you do your own cooking and have been on the vacuum cleaner course next!!

My and my crew voted the Erewash Britains Friendliest Canal after our trip a few years back.  It was as though everyone was on prozac.  FWIW currently topping the Britain's Most Miserable Canal table is the K&A.

3 hours ago, Nightwatch said:

Ditto to the above, but I don't understand the Shipley Lock comment. We moored there for a few days on our way up back in April.

Shipley lock is OK. It is the nearby MFN that is best to avoid. 

8 hours ago, WhiteSuit said:

I took one look at the Gallows and decided I wasn't desperate enough for a pint. Locals said the Bridge used to be ok but that is sold for housing conversion. 

My uncle used to run the Bridge Pub; we used to visit occasionally but by car. sadly I’ve now missed the opportunity as he’s retired! Think a lady took over that want to make it an eatery of some sort, but sadly that didn’t do well so the leaseholders has enough... so flats it is... 

sasly it seemed to be a pub that was very hard work to make a go of, for some reason.

but I do still have a “bridge inn” mug, one of few...! 

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

You will tell me you do your own cooking and have been on the vacuum cleaner course next!!

I can boil an egg without burning it. AND been on several vacuum cleaner courses. Glad you've learnt how to spell Hoover correctly.

• Haha 2

On 26/07/2019 at 16:57, Nightwatch said:

I have to say, with deep regret, that I had two pints in the steamboat both were cloudy and 'Almost' undrinkable. When I went for the second, different Ale I mentioned that the first was cloudy, I didn't really expect the second one to be. Before anyone points out I could have complained, yes I could, but I'm a bit of a wimp. Went in there in April and had a good session. Good Ale good company. In the summer it just seemed different. It's very dog friendly.

You coukdnt have been as thirsty as me, I walked about 3/4 of a mike up hill to a pub that is only a quarter of a inch away on my phone. Needlemakers Arms. Worth the bus ride. Don't walk it. 

I've been told that The Gallows and the Steamboat are owned or run by the same person, which may explain why people on here have had poor experiences in them.

1 hour ago, Grassman said:

I've been told that The Gallows and the Steamboat are owned or run by the same person, which may explain why people on here have had poor experiences in them.

They are thats correct. Hes a nice chap called Simon. 

The Gallows had not a drop of 'ale' in the hand pumps. I don't particularly like keg beers so I decided on a pint of Guinness. 3/4 of a pint and the Guinness went off also. Hence the walk to the Needlemakers Arms. Glad I did, a good pub.

I had a lovely trip up the Erewash earlier this year. It was a bit much to go from Kegworth on the Nene to Langley Mill single handed in one day, but I got there. I didn't visit any of the pubs, but the church at Sandiacre was fabulous, also a very nice walk along the derelict bits of the Cromford (there is a plan ...). I wimped out of DH Lawrence's birthplace. Only thing to avoid is a mooring near to the M1, I would say. Locals very friendly, lots of sensible cyclists!

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2019/06/06/spring-cruise-3-erewash-canal/

4 hours ago, Scholar Gypsy said:

I had a lovely trip up the Erewash earlier this year. It was a bit much to go from Kegworth on the Nene to Langley Mill single handed in one day, but I got there. I didn't visit any of the pubs, but the church at Sandiacre was fabulous, also a very nice walk along the derelict bits of the Cromford (there is a plan ...). I wimped out of DH Lawrence's birthplace. Only thing to avoid is a mooring near to the M1, I would say. Locals very friendly, lots of sensible cyclists!

https://nbsg.wordpress.com/2019/06/06/spring-cruise-3-erewash-canal/

Well I’m never one to wimp out on a long day boating... But the Nene to Langley Mill?!  Bloomin ‘ell. 

On 26/07/2019 at 17:21, PaulD said:

Aah you guys....... We try our best, and we do like a bit of good humour up here, but we don't charge for it!!!!