Lister LPWS4 canal star

Tony Durney

Featured Posts

Good evening all I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help. I currently have a Tamar 2000 fisherman fitted with a Lister LPWS4 Canal star engine which is giving me no end of problems with the electrical Wiring side of things, it’s fitted with the deluxe control panel which has a push fit wiring loom which goes from the control panel to a light grey box fitted to a bulkhead along side the engine! Also mounted is a starter solenoid with numerous wires attached does anyone else have this sort of set up and able to shed any light on this system any help would be appreciated! Kind regards Tony.

Have you made sure the connector plugs are pushed completely together inside their rubberised connector sleeves?

This is the first thing we check when one of these engines has an issue.....its quite a quick and simple fix.?

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Have you made sure the connector plugs are pushed completely together inside their rubberised connector sleeves?

This is the first thing we check when one of these engines has an issue.....its quite a quick and simple fix.?

IMG_0928.jpg.df3a7c2796cde8f7b04bfafe1b62961a.jpg

11 hours ago, matty40s said:

Good morning Richard, thanks for the reply when I try to start the engine from the key I am just getting a clicking noise from the control box in the picture it seems to be coming from the pre-post heating timer relay.

18 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Well, I'd start with that solenoid and try and work out why it was fitted - it's not a usual fit and suggests bodgery

Richard

IMG_0703.jpg.5d5b939f52888869bbc990e9341bc0fb.jpg

20 minutes ago, RLWP said:

Well, I'd start with that solenoid and try and work out why it was fitted - it's not a usual fit and suggests bodgery

Richard

think your right Richard bodgery! where to start.

3 hours ago, Tony Durney said:

IMG_0928.jpg.df3a7c2796cde8f7b04bfafe1b62961a.jpg

Good morning Richard, thanks for the reply when I try to start the engine from the key I am just getting a clicking noise from the control box in the picture it seems to be coming from the pre-post heating timer relay.

Have you reset the top most circuit breaker for the starter solenoid? These are prone to failure after about 20 years as the springs inside become weak and can trip due to vibration rather than overload. I have the same unit and I'm in the process of replacing the fuel-cut one (engine not stopping) after the starter one was replaced (engine not starting).

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎25‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 21:48, Tony Durney said:

Good evening all I am new to this forum and would appreciate some help. I currently have a Tamar 2000 fisherman fitted with a Lister LPWS4 Canal star engine which is giving me no end of problems with the electrical Wiring side of things, it’s fitted with the deluxe control panel which has a push fit wiring loom which goes from the control panel to a light grey box fitted to a bulkhead along side the engine! Also mounted is a starter solenoid with numerous wires attached does anyone else have this sort of set up and able to shed any light on this system any help would be appreciated! Kind regards Tony.

Good evening guys and thanks for the reply I have managed to pick up another relay control box including wiring loom which I have now fitted and all seems to be running fine. However the new control box doesn't have the glow plug isolation relay fitted, just wondering if this will matter. regards Tony.