Imploding window!!!

adorabelle63

Featured Posts

3 hours ago, jacko264 said:

As you say it's a bathroom window I'm guessing its frosted glass could this be a factor.?

What I will say is the smallest of taps on toughened glass will break it

jacko

I spent the Saturday before last bouncing a club hammer off 3m lengths of 4mm glass in a conservatory roof.  I had thought the glass would not come out without breaking - and it would best be bust  in situ - and when I was expecting it, hence the hammer.  But after it refused to break, I managed to remove every pane intact.

And on Wednesday, a 6mm fixed pane in a shower screen broke, without warning, .  No idea why.  It was a hot day - but the room faces north and it broke spectacularly around 10.00 pm.

Unfortunately, the conservatory glass will not fit the shower.

Steel shell with windows, vents and insulation ready installed was delivered to the boatyard 5years ago - the rest of the fit out is my own and has taken a long long time to complete lol

couple of bits left for the engine and is finally ready to go in so it’s either brand new or 5 yrs old I guess you can take your pick. I have been living in it for the last three years in the yard.

none of the other windows are in direct line of full sunlight at midday on the hottest day ever ?

Our beer glasses are toughened, and are prone to spontaneously self destruct on occasions, usually when empty and often when stacked with other glasses. 

I'm reliably informed that glass is technically a liquid, and what happens is 'supercyrstallisation', which can be triggered by contact, stress, a gentle tap with the right shaped tool (escape windows on buses) or even certain sound frequencies. 

8 minutes ago, twbm said:

Our beer glasses are toughened, and are prone to spontaneously self destruct on occasions, usually when empty and often when stacked with other glasses. 

I'm reliably informed that glass is technically a liquid, and what happens is 'supercyrstallisation', which can be triggered by contact, stress, a gentle tap with the right shaped tool (escape windows on buses) or even certain sound frequencies. 

When toughened glass is made it is very hot and a bit soft like toffee, cold air is then blown on the surface which chills the surface and makes it cool enough to be rigid, however the centre is still very hot.  As it cools the whole sheet of glass becomes a rigid solid, though the surface (because of the cold air blast) is much cooler than the centre.  As it continues to cool the inside contracts but being cool the outside doesn’t so you end up with the centre trying to shrink but restrained so the inside is in tension and the outside in compression.

Glass is weak in tension if there are scratches, chips etc, so toughened glass is tough until the damage extends beyond the compressed region, where upon it goes bang.  That’s how the ‘little tool’ on the bus works, it has a hardened tip that easily makes a deep chip.  Likewise if you bend glass a bit the outside of the curve goes into tension, so little scratches on the surface stop being in tension and go bang.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Oh! Yes. We had a hopper window go yesterday morning. It was open, but the sun was shining straight onto it. Frightened the living days out of us. One of our JRT’s was quick on the move to see if it’s okay, is it normal she asked. With reassurance she went back to sleep.

Ordered a replacement from Caldwells in Wigan. Being delivered to Tooleys in a day or so, thank you in advance to Tooleys for agreeing to accept the delivery.

Edited by Nightwatch

On 26/07/2019 at 23:28, Mad Harold said:

Different rates of expansion (metal and glass) caused it.

True, but: 

(1) Steel has a higher coefficient of linear expansion than glass (ie it expands more), and

(2) The hole expands at the same rate as the material that surrounds it. If differential expansion were the cause, the window would drop out whole, then shatter on impact.

We have a large sheet of this glass s a showerscreen at home. A couple of years back the whole thing shattered, no one near it, no temperature changes. 

Glass can have a fault in it and it can take years for it to become stressed enough to shatter. 

The way to check is with two sheets of polarising film at right angles, stress show as as a bright area

2 minutes ago, Machpoint005 said:

... if you can be arsed checking, for what must be a very low-probability fault!

I’m not suggesting it s a routine procedure but as I did glass art for many years it was something you did with fused glass before using it for something time consuming and expensive