Imploding window!!!

adorabelle63

Featured Posts

5 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We like Vera. 

You now get remote controls for cranes. Can they reach 100 miles? With the assistance of a screen cam! 

The evidence of a smashed window suggests YES they CAN!!

Hang on, knowing Vera as I do, watch it without fail, if we have a signal, after the adverts she'll cone up with another theory. 

The crane drivers ex-wife, from three marriages past, doesn't get on with her stepson from her second marriage because the crane driver and the mentioned step son were spotted having a pint of ale and laughing. This was inadvertently mentioned to ex-wife and she now believes there's a plot to get the crane driver on the insurance claim for some damage to her house. Unbeknown to ex-wife, he went away, about 100 miles, and she hot wired the crane to drop him in it. The ex-wife is now married to the local grave digger!

• Haha 1

13 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say the crane did it. Toughened glass breaking from heat is virtually unheard of. 

^^My first thought too.       Not very trusting? Me?   Edit:-  Late!

Edited by Taslim
Asleep at the back of the Class.

4 minutes ago, Taslim said:

^^My first thought too.       Not very trusting? Me?

But in true internet stylee, my post asserting it never happened resulted in a stream of posts from people saying it happened to them, too!  

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

But in true internet stylee, my post asserting it never happened resulted in a stream of posts from people saying it happened to them, too!  

Exceptions that prove the rule. I'm sticking with Vera on this one!

This happened to our conservatory roof in the hot summer of 2016 while we were away on our narrowboat Zodiak.  Fortunately the outer glass remained intact. The repairer said the cause was most likely a weakness/stress point arising during the manufacture of the glass and that it was a rare occurrence.

We sold Zodiak in 2017 and do miss her.   

Mick

WP_20160801_004.jpg

Edited by Canalwatcher
extra information

Waiting behind another vehicle at the border between Spain and Gibraltar, the hatch window of the vehicle in front suddenly crazed, like toughened, but stayed put in the frame. I think there it was the heat, and maybe the glass came under too much pressure from materials expansion - I'm guessing. To find toughened glass inside the boat sounds like a shock from outside, although, it was hot.

For my sins I used to drive a Leyland sherpa truck. It would throw it's windscreen regularly like the op boat window. The windscreen fitters claimed that the cabs on these vehicles would twist when cornering. I imagine that extreme temperatures could have a similar effect on a steel boat?

My guess is ill fitting glass pane possibly with some "burrs" on the edge.

Different rates of expansion (metal and glass) caused it.

The same thing causes boat  windows to leak after a time.Metal expands more than glass so after hundreds or even thousands  of cycles  the seal says "enough"

1 hour ago, Mad Harold said:

My guess is ill fitting glass pane possibly with some "burrs" on the edge.

Potentailly caused by taking the window pane in and out and scratching the edge.  Heat certainly played a part, but the scratch on the edge of toughened glass is the cause.

When our (double glazed) window was shot out it was obvious - there was a .22 pellet embedded in the outer pane, but the inner pane held.  It cost £15 from a local glass supplier to replace the unit, and they apologised for the cost!

Again non boat but toughened glass. Some years ago we had a gas hob with a framed toughened glass top. That shattered twice over the life of the hob. Both times in the middle of the night. Satisfied that a burner had not been left on. Taps off, lid had cutout valve and second time checked for heat wthin a couple of minutes. Significantly the glass did not stay intact, it went everywhere 

14 minutes ago, Slim said:

Again non boat but toughened glass. Some years ago we had a gas hob with a framed toughened glass top. That shattered twice over the life of the hob. Both times in the middle of the night. Satisfied that a burner had not been left on. Taps off, lid had cutout valve and second time checked for heat wthin a couple of minutes. Significantly the glass did not stay intact, it went everywhere 

Mine also shattered but in my case I failed to notice I had left a gas ring on low when I closed it, took about half an hour to pop

On 25 July 2019 at 22:35, Chewbacka said:

Having worked in the car industry, toughened glass can go bang without warning.  If toughened glass has chips on the edge (usually from manufacturing) or if there are scratches on the surface and the glass is stressed - examples- by part of the glass in full sun and part in shade or if the frame twists as the metal gets hot, and bends the glass a bit, the stresses are concentrated around the chips or scratches and just sometimes it goes bang to release the stress.

This is very true I work fitting glass in buses glass often comes with small chips on the edges and can cause the glass to break

jacko

?well once again you have given your best and most amusing replies to my OP -

emotions ranging from muttered eff’sandb’s for the instant assumption that  it had to be anything but the heat when I just KNEW it was - to a lol for VERA- I may even watch this now if I ever get my internet up and running.....never have so far lol...

After close inspection by local Columbo all panes in the big windows have edge faults (the port circles are ok) so I will b replacing as and when hopefully with double glazing so at least if it happens again it should only affect the outside pane.

Hercule Poirot sez no missiles found in my bed or in the room or anywhere else so his money is still on “zee eat” lol

Which is not a relief really as it seems to me the danger hasn’t yet passed wot with all the others - feel like am under fire in here ?

• Greenie 1

1 hour ago, Nightwatch said:

Thanks for reporting back. Many don't.

you say you may be having issues with getting t'internet up and running. What do you have in place at present?

Computer running on windows keeps crashing.....

Hi it’s not really a problem- I have a smart tv and, as yet, no aerial of any kind so I just watch the odd tv series via bbc I player using my mobile data device which has only 15gig of data.

i bought a portable sat dish set up but then decided I will probably be better off with an ordinary aerial and freeview as the boat will be moving a lot and to keep searching for satellites is beyond my limited knowledge of technology lol

my mobile contract runs out in September and I believe that there’s a lot of really good data deals out there...so am just waiting till then.

i pay £42 a month for my phone and the dongle there’s 1gig on my phone and 15 on the dongle- I hours iplayer uses 1 gig so I don’t get to watch much lol

to be fair I don’t have a lot of time anyway and in the summer I prefer to sit outside ( I’ve never really been a fan of tv

some good stuff on nowadays though...)

winter evenings though really need a good film occasionally 

Just now, adorabelle63 said:

Hi it’s not really a problem- I have a smart tv and, as yet, no aerial of any kind so I just watch the odd tv series via bbc I player using my mobile data device which has only 15gig of data.

i bought a portable sat dish set up but then decided I will probably be better off with an ordinary aerial and freeview as the boat will be moving a lot and to keep searching for satellites is beyond my limited knowledge of technology lol

my mobile contract runs out in September and I believe that there’s a lot of really good data deals out there...so am just waiting till then.

i pay £42 a month for my phone and the dongle there’s 1gig on my phone and 15 on the dongle- I hours iplayer uses 1 gig so I don’t get to watch much lol

to be fair I don’t have a lot of time anyway and in the summer I prefer to sit outside ( I’ve never really been a fan of tv

some good stuff on nowadays though...)

winter evenings though really need a good film occasionally 

Actually, the aerial searching thing is the other way around. With a sat dish you always point it in the same direction (relative to the sky that is, not the boat!) In my experience, lashing out on a good sat finder makes the task generally straightforward (so long as you charge it up, that is!)

With terrestrial, which we gave up several years ago, even with an omni directional thing you still have to go through a tedious re-tune whenever you change from one transmitter to another.

Only use freesat, nothing paid for. 

On 28/07/2019 at 08:50, adorabelle63 said:

After close inspection by local Columbo all panes in the big windows have edge faults

And how old is this boat and why haven't these also shattered?

I'd say the edge faults on your continued uncrazed windows illustrates edge faults are not the cause!

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

And how old is this boat and why haven't these also shattered?

I'd say the edge faults on your continued uncrazed windows illustrates edge faults are not the cause!

Maybe, but it depends upon a number of factors such as the size of chip, if the chip was before or after the glass was toughened, the tip radius of the sharpest point, the direction of the chip, the level of stress on the glass from the frame etc, etc.

My conclusion would be that the edge defects coupled with the level of stress in the area of the defects are not at a level to cause a catastrophic failure.  (So far). It’s difficult if not impossible to predict when or even if the glass will fail from the information given.  If the edge defects are tiny and within specification then the glass will probably never fail and the replacement may be no better, but if the defects are ‘out of spec’ then they may.  Needs a trustworthy ‘expert’ to have a look.

Edited by Chewbacka