Imploding window!!!

adorabelle63

Featured Posts

It’s the hottest day of the year as I’m sure you all know lol

I nipped to the supermarket at 12.30 today and returned at 1.30 to find my bedroom window had imploded leaving glass everywhere - anyone know why this happened? They are Worcester windows, unfortunately single glazed but that’s another tale...just a basic sheet of glass in a frame - glass not fitted tightly as removable when desired and all windows, doors and hatches were open for the “breeze” including this one

what breeze I hear you ask...it was hot! Around 38 I think...

only one window imploded ( thank heaven) and I am sooo glad I wasn’t stood in front of it...

am now worried about the others ?

2E3A6691-CE79-4528-BD4F-EDC441E3B8C1.jpeg

B2B413B6-E80E-4B8C-BF3F-9B9B0F81C9E9.jpeg

F0BE3498-02EB-4DB6-81AF-5D917205BDE5.jpeg

Mmm- just as I thought but if so why not the others? And why not in winter when it’s freezing outside and toasty warm inside?

and is it going to do it again after new glass fitted? Surrounded by other boats and am the only one this happened to. But then mine is the only steel boat here..

8 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say the crane did it. Toughened glass breaking from heat is virtually unheard of. 

What MtB said. It is toughened glass. You can tell by the way it has broken in to roundish granules, rather than sharp shards. Be sure to replace with toughened, or laminated, rather than ordinary window glass. Most likely an impact did this, rather than stress from the hull. Toughened glass will take a lot of stress, but when it does let go it disintegrates  like you've seen.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

5 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Could have been a local moron across tother side with a catapult or airgun??

The intriguing thing is toughened glass when burst like that tends to stay all in one piece. That window looks, on reflection, as though the broken glass has been all pushed in, perhaps by someone climbing through it. 

Edited by Mike the Boilerman
Spelling.
  • Greenie 1

Crane driver a hundred miles away today and nothing found inside cabin that could have been a missile also no access to other side of river here... 100% positive this was not an outside job lol! So only “almost “ unheard of.....

i think there must have been a flaw in the glass- absolutely crappy windows anyway no wonder they went bust.,

All doors wide open can’t see anyone bothering to either break a window or then crawl through it? Boatyard is pretty secure here and no one seen on cctv.

I have far less experience than many here, but I've been on and around boats since about 1974, and I've never heard of hot weather doing this - my first guess is passing vandal, just because he/she can, not because they were trying to steal (open doors back this up).

1 minute ago, adorabelle63 said:

And nothing else either damaged or stolen. Just weird.

The interesting thing about being broken into, is one knows instantly and instinctively on opening the door, when someone who shouldn't have been, has been inside, in my limited experience. There is a feeling you pick up on in a flash.

If you didn't get this sense, then prolly it was not a burglar. 

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

The intriguing thing is toughened glass when burt like that tends to stay all in one piece. That window looks on reflection as though the glass has been all pushed in, perhaps by someone climbing through it. 

Laminated glass behaves like that. This looks like toughened glass. They aren't the same thing. Different approaches to making stronger glass that breaks in a safe way. Car windscreens used to be toughened. When a stone hit them they used to shatter completely  in to safe round pebbles like the OP's boat window. The process of making it puts the surface in to compression, so resistant to crack formation, but once it lets go the unequal stresses basically destroy the entire pane instantly. Nowadays car windscreens are usually laminated with a plastic film in the glass sandwich. The plastic holds the bits together and lets you still see out and drive without being exposed to the wind blast before it is replaced.

Jen

4 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Laminated glass behaves like that. This looks like toughened glass. They aren't the same thing. Different approaches to making stronger glass that breaks in a safe way. Car windscreens used to be toughened. When a stone hit them they used to shatter completely  in to safe round pebbles like the OP's boat window. The process of making it puts the surface in to compression, so resistant to crack formation, but once it lets go the unequal stresses basically destroy the entire pane instantly. Nowadays car windscreens are usually laminated with a plastic film in the glass sandwich. The plastic holds the bits together and lets you still see out and drive without being exposed to the wind blast before it is replaced.

Jen

Many cars still have toughened/tempered glass in the doors etc but not the windscreen.

Just now, mrsmelly said:

Many cars still have toughened/tempered glass in the doors etc but not the windscreen.

Yes. Side windows are often still toughened. When I was little our cars toughened windscreen shattered while we were travelling. Glass pebbles everywhere. Very sudden and scary.

Boat windows are fitted into holes cut into a large steel panel. The edges of this cut are not always plasma cut and can be rough, or even jagged along their lengths

Today's temperatures have been exceptional, chances are one of these edges has pushed the frame and subsequently glass to its limit.

Last winter, an Aqualine near us had two double glazed windows shatter. The couple came home from Spain on one of the coldest nights of the year, -10 ish, they lit the stove and the cooker, both those windows went.

43 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'd say the crane did it. Toughened glass breaking from heat is virtually unheard of. 

Whilst the glass itself is unlikely to break due to the heat the differential stress from the frames or supports can cause issues.  Not quite the same but we have lost 5 glass panels from around our deck and pool (coincidentally one went only yesterday) in the last 4 years, due to this.  This one was the last straw - we will be changing the fencing type IMG_7658.jpg.c48a2d906db36f82890044948e036861.jpgnow.

Just a few years ago one of the toughened glass top hoppers on our boat shattered like that in the heat. I was there at the time and I know there was no impact from anything, and being a top hopper which was open at the time there couldn't possibly have been any pressure exterted in any direction by the frame. The only possible expplanation was just the heat; possibly there had been an inadvertent stress due to a manufacturing flaw more than 20 years earlier, who knows. But certainly although it is unusual for a pane simply to shatter, it is not impossible.

Having worked in the car industry, toughened glass can go bang without warning.  If toughened glass has chips on the edge (usually from manufacturing) or if there are scratches on the surface and the glass is stressed - examples- by part of the glass in full sun and part in shade or if the frame twists as the metal gets hot, and bends the glass a bit, the stresses are concentrated around the chips or scratches and just sometimes it goes bang to release the stress.

1 hour ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

Jen

I am fully aware of the difference and yes that is toughened glass. I made my comments based on my experience of toughened glass shattering and staying usually all in one piece. It can be surprisingly difficult to push it all in when it is a flat sheet shattered, as opposed to curved like a car windscreen.

Laminated glass however, is effectively impossible to push in whether cracked or not. 

Just last month we had one leaf of the tempered glass unit in our veranda door do just this, completely out of the blue. It all stayed in the frame for a couple of days, but then vibration from a washing machine on spin caused it to start collapsing. It starts with an invisible flaw in the glass, typically a crystal of nickel hydride apparently, that spreads to the rest of the pane after a few or many years. In our case, it was just over five years old, ie just out of warranty.

11 hours ago, adorabelle63 said:

Crane driver a hundred miles away today 

Hmm, if this happened in an episode of "Vera", she'd be looking more closely into this awfully convenient alibi and checking whether there is a suspicious looking crane driver's assistant who turns out to be a disgruntled ex employee of a defunct  narrowboat window manufacturer...

;)

32 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

Hmm, if this happened in an episode of "Vera", she'd be looking more closely into this awfully convenient alibi and checking whether there is a suspicious looking crane driver's assistant who turns out to be a disgruntled ex employee of a defunct  narrowboat window manufacturer...

;)

Yes it struck me as odd how quick the OP was to jump to the crane driver's defence!

Ok he was 100 miles way.... or so he says ;)))

34 minutes ago, Sea Dog said:

;)

We like Vera. 

You now get remote controls for cranes. Can they reach 100 miles? With the assistance of a screen cam!