London or surrounding area Moorings for 60ft x 12ft

PD1964

Featured Posts

Not another continuous cruising question. Does anyone know where there are moorings available in a marina or linear canal side for a 60ft x 12ft in or around the London area or any contacts who can help, legal moorings only, Marina preferred. Any help/ info appreciated.

Edited by PD1964

14 minutes ago, PD1964 said:

Not another continuous cruising question. Does anyone know where there are moorings available in a marina or linear canal side for a 60ft x 12ft in or around the London area or any contacts who can help, legal moorings only, Marina preferred. Any help/ info appreciated.

Limehouse - No vacancies but worth getting on the waiting list (they have removed the prices but the last ones quoted for a NB was £12,000, WB could be up to 30% more)

https://bwml.co.uk/limehouse-basin-marina/moorings/

Poplar -  No vacancies but worth getting on the waiting list

https://bwml.co.uk/poplar-dock-marina/moorings/

How far out do you want to be ?

How much cruising do you want ? (stay in marina or actually get out and cruise?)

Packet boat - Uxbridge - Only one residential berth available.

Just four miles from the M25 (junction 20) and with London Euston only thirty minutes' distance by rail, Apsley Marina is a great location with excellent facilities for boaters.

https://bwml.co.uk/packet-boat-marina/moorings/

Apsley - Hemel Hempstead - Only one residential berth available.

Just four miles from the M25 (junction 20) and with London Euston only thirty minutes' distance by rail, Apsley Marina is a great location with excellent facilities for boaters.

https://bwml.co.uk/apsley-marina/moorings/

• Greenie 1

34 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Apsley - Hemel Hempstead - Only one residential berth available.

https://bwml.co.uk/apsley-marina/moorings/

From your link:

"Please note there is no access for wide-beam craft at this marina."

Curious how coy BWML are about prices, to the extent of not stating them. 

17 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

From your link:

Which is why I asked the OP is he intended cruising, or just mooring in the marina.

BWML use to provide the prices but since the 'new bunch' took over the websites have been revamped in several ways.

The web site for 'my' BWML marina showed the plans they had for planning permission for 'loads' of 'Floating Homes' boats which would have meant that 60 existing boats would become homeless.

This map and details was removed when the 'new bunch' took over.

3 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

So is there a crane pad at Apsley to plonk a captive widebeam in?

No!

All the wide beams near Apsley Marina are moored online outside the entrance - it's probably hard to find any time when the majority of boats moored outside are not fat boats these days,

Edited by alan_fincher

7 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Which is why I asked the OP is he intended cruising, or just mooring in the marina.

BWML use to provide the prices but since the 'new bunch' took over the websites have been revamped in several ways.

The web site for 'my' BWML marina showed the plans they had for planning permission for 'loads' of 'Floating Homes' boats which would have meant that 60 existing boats would become homeless.

This map and details was removed when the 'new bunch' took over.

You mean Jeff Whyatt....

12 hours ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

From your link:

Odd that ... there is a wide beam berthed there at the moment

55 minutes ago, KevMc said:

Odd that ... there is a wide beam berthed there at the moment

Which is interesting, because I felt sure I had seen wide-beam craft in there, but when I did a quick scan through quite a few Internet photos, I couldn't find a single example.

Presumably if they did allow a fat boat in it could be at twice the cost of a narrow boat, because I think the pontoon layout is suited to the latter, and a wide beam would probably have to occupy two narrow boat berths?

21 minutes ago, alan_fincher said:

Which is interesting, because I felt sure I had seen wide-beam craft in there, but when I did a quick scan through quite a few Internet photos, I couldn't find a single example.

Presumably if they did allow a fat boat in it could be at twice the cost of a narrow boat, because I think the pontoon layout is suited to the latter, and a wide beam would probably have to occupy two narrow boat berths?

Try google maps and zoom in with the satellite option ... you'll see two wide beams on the southern side (well you will this week - maybe that'll change when google update the satellite views).... but maybe they have decided not to allow any more in

I'm pretty sure that is how they calculate the cost.

12 minutes ago, KevMc said:

Try google maps and zoom in with the satellite option ... you'll see two wide beams on the southern side (well you will this week - maybe that'll change when google update the satellite views).... but maybe they have decided not to allow any more in

I'm pretty sure that is how they calculate the cost.

BWML's calculations

Wide Beam
Customers with wide beam craft that exceed 3.0m for BWML inland marinas and 4.5m for BWML coastal marinas will be subject to additional charges of a minimum 30% of the product they have purchased. Craft that occupy 2 narrow boat spaces will be subject to a 100% surcharge on the product they have purchased.
Occupancy of a berth that has been specifically designed and manufactured for Wide Beam craft will be charged at a berth rate (Kings Marina & Ripon Marina). Berth rates at these locations will be publicised.

17 hours ago, alan_fincher said:

No!

All the wide beams near Apsley Marina are moored online outside the entrance - it's probably hard to find any time when the majority of boats moored outside are not fat boats these days,

Just rang, they only run the Basin moorings and not the linear canal moorings which are CaRT moorings, BWML are now nothing to do with CaRT according to the Marina, 

Edited by PD1964

1 hour ago, PD1964 said:

Just rang, they only run the Basin moorings and not the linear canal moorings which are CaRT moorings, BWML are now nothing to do with CaRT according to the Marina, 

There are no official moorings as such outside the marina ... just the regular 2 week ones.

I think the nearest on-line moorings are a couple of miles south in Kings Langley. I think (but don't quote me) they might be called Home Park... and rarely if ever have any vacancies.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No they are not - they were sold off in a management / Lloyds bank buy-out.

We were, 'fortunate' to have to stay on the visitor moorings at Sawley Marina, once a BWML site. Chatting to quite a few marina moorers it seems cost are escalating at an alarming pace. One guy said he was told his mooring is going up by £300. To him a worrying amount. It cost us £10.83 a night to moor there. There's ANPR cameras in the car parks. Everything closes, including the gates, cafe/bar, chandlery about 5-6 pm. Total lock down unless you have a tag thingy. Seemed a shame really. There's hundreds of boats there, quite a few livaboards im sure, who would like a beer within the marina. It's summer, there's loads of passing boats to tap into. If it were I, I'd invite people to spend sone of their hard earned within my business. Having said that, off topic, the Lockkeepers Rest at Sawley Lock is worth a visit.

15 minutes ago, Nightwatch said:

We were, 'fortunate' to have to stay on the visitor moorings at Sawley Marina, once a BWML site. Chatting to quite a few marina moorers it seems cost are escalating at an alarming pace. One guy said he was told his mooring is going up by £300. 

They are still BWML, "just not BWML a trading arm of C&RT"

Our mooring has gone up from £1710 to £2300 (but that is still competitive with the 'area' so what can you do ?

1 minute ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Our mooring has gone up from £1710 to £2300 (but that is still competitive with the 'area' so what can you do ?

Wondered why the signage hadn't changed. When we first arrived there was only a very big man in the office. He said if you want moorings in London maybe I can help. Otherwise I'll pass you onto a local member of staff. So presumably he's from London. I understand that the headoffice is, or is going to be, Sawley.

The hike is rather large, but as you say, what can you do if there's little alternative.

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

So why was a subsidiary of CRT charging under the going rate for the area?