Meaco 650 USB fan - Excellent!!!

Richard10002

Featured Posts

1 hour ago, catweasel said:

Two jobs that I need to do this winter! I need to draw air form the front where the water tank/pump lives in order to (hopefully) reduce condensation, and cooling for the fridge, especially in this weather. I currently have a desk fan blowing in the gap next to the fridge, which seems to make a significant difference to the "cut in" time.
I want to do the fridge thing permanently and planned on drawing cooler air from bilges.

No argument there, especially cold Guinness, or Taylors Landlord.

I have a fan behind the fridge drawing air from the bilge. The standard shoreline fridge controller has connections for a fan, so it only runs when the compressor motor is running.

4 minutes ago, dor said:

I have a fan behind the fridge drawing air from the bilge. The standard shoreline fridge controller has connections for a fan, so it only runs when the compressor motor is running.

I could probably have tapped into some wires on my Waeco, (or they may already exist), that would have achieved the same thing, which I think is preferable..... but I just tapped into the supply, because I CBA :) 

I bought one of these last winter, used it on a hook above the epping to blow warm air down to floor level, Battery lasted about 4-5 hours.

It has been put to good use during this hot spell too for a bit of cooling breeze.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Electric-Rechargeable-Operated-Portable-Stroller/dp/B07B2HC79W/ref=sr_1_6_sspa?keywords=12v+rechargable+fan+clip+on&qid=1564089129&s=kitchen&sr=1-6-spons&psc=1

6 hours ago, catweasel said:

Better still tap  up any it geeks you know or find the skip they use and get lots of computer fans for nowt.  

I must have thrown hundreds away over the years. Lots of older it kit from the likes of Cisco have fan trays in which are a great source of 12v fans. 

14 hours ago, dor said:

I would like to achieve something like this on Nightwatch. Some years ago we laid laminate in the galley and dining area. Very nice it looks to. 

Four years ago we invested in a new fridge to replace a smaller, other make, undercounter one. This required the worktops to be raised by half an inch. Really proud of the job I did. The fridge fits lovely. 

However, why is there always a 'however', because I'm a smarta*se, I now can't get the bloomin' fridge out without taking the worktop off, after taking all the tiles off the bulkhead.  I have actually managed to cut holes in the adjacent cupboards. In hot weather, (how often do we get hot weather nowadays?) we open said cupboard doors. Not pretty, but effective.  

Such a dingbat!! 

Edited by Nightwatch

On 25/07/2019 at 15:15, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm reasonably certain fans do not cool anything, if you check with a thermometer. 

:P

That's perfectly true.  What they do is to increase the air flow around whichever part of the body is in the flow from the fan.  It he body is not sweaty and the air temperature is lower that the body temperature then the rate of heat transfer to the air will be greater leasing to an increase in comfort.  If the body is sweaty then the rate of evaporation of said sweat will be greater leading to a much greater loss of heat from the body.

• Greenie 1

On 25/07/2019 at 22:31, jonathanA said:

Better still tap  up any it geeks you know or find the skip they use and get lots of computer fans for nowt.  

I must have thrown hundreds away over the years. Lots of older it kit from the likes of Cisco have fan trays in which are a great source of 12v fans. 

I scrapped a defunct inverter and rescued the two 12v fans, fitted into a nice box, added a switch, and they are super for cooling in hot weather and in winter shove the air around far better than the useless eco fan. 

Fans only move air from one place to another, they cool you by evaporating your sweat faster if you are in their range, the way to get really cool fast is to spray yourself with water and sit in front of the fan, evaporation will do the job.  Alternative is to put on a wet shirt .

What makes a big difference on my boat is opening the skylight, the hot cabin air can then escape and draw fresh air in through the doors.