Meaco 650 USB fan - Excellent!!!

Richard10002

Featured Posts

Saw this on QVC the other night:

https://www.qvcuk.com/Meaco-Meacofan-650-Air-Circulator.product.808926.html?sc=IROA

Being QVC, it seemed too good to be true that it was DC and would run from a higher powered USB socket. Anyway, researched elsewhere and seemed to confirm, so ordered it.

Arrived yesterday and is currently plugged in to a 2.1A USB socket, blowing a relatively cool breeze over the dog on the floor. It seems like the dogs danglies :) 

Not surprised it’s sold out. May be available elsewhere, or may be worth ordering for August.

I would have had a few of these on my travels across the Med from 2006 to 2009, but 12v fans were pretty much non existent or hard to get hold of at the time.

Edited by Richard10002

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Seventy quid for a dopey little fan? Are you off your trolley???!!!!!

Not quite as technical but draws 0.5 amp via USB and produces loads of 'wind', sat with it blowing me as we speak.

£4.00 from Home Bargain type shops, or :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fine-Elements-Portable-Powered-Computer/dp/B01LXIEU00/ref=asc_df_B01LXIEU00/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=258766850546&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15453649968962550697&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046218&hvtargid=pla-431200969911&psc=1

Loads of other options and sizes if you scroll down.

12 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

People do pay that for the equaly useless " Eco Fan " for the other end of the weather spectrum. ?

The link is to a mains fan that draws 12 watts and makes between 20 and 50 decibels of noise, I assume the 20 is when its switched off :)

Its £70 which is a lot of money.

£55 will get a 12volt Caframo Ultimate fan which really is the ultimate boat cooling fan, we have three running this very moment and I have just ordered two more.

One of the biggest sources of fan noise is the interaction between the fan blades and the protective housing grille, this is also a source of inefficiency. The Caframo avoids this by using naked blades (no housing) and then uses soft edges to the blades so it don't hurt when you stick yer fingers in....but you do have to take care not to locate them near to loose curtains etc..

...............Dave

20 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

Nope! I'm sitting here relatively cool, as is the dog. Which we definitely wouldn't be had I not bought it. I definitely wasn't thinking of buying a fan at the time and, had I researched the various options that Alan has provided, I'd still be procrastinating in October, (when I would be lighting the stove :) ).

So £70 for quite a clever fan, which does more than expected, was good value for money, under the circumstances.

Having posted and been ridiculed, anyone who reads this thread will also know that they can buy something for four quid.

4 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Nope! I'm sitting here relatively cool, as is the dog. Which we definitely wouldn't be had I not bought it. I definitely wasn't thinking of buying a fan at the time and, had I researched the various options that Alan has provided, I'd still be procrastinating in October, (when I would be lighting the stove :) ).

So £70 for quite a clever fan, which does more than expected, was good value for money, under the circumstances.

Having posted and been ridiculed, anyone who reads this thread will also know that they can buy something for four quid.

Fair play ? Your fan however available on Flea bay as we speak. 59.95 delivered.

2 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm reasonably certain fans do not cool anything, if you check with a thermometer. 

No, they dont. Much the same as an eco fan does the square root of diddly squat.

1 minute ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

£59.95 for a dopey little fan? Are you off your trolley???!!!!!

:giggles:

I agree, I wouldnt have one either but Richard says they are now sold out so I kindly let other mugs er sorry I meant other people know they are indeed available on Fleabay.

4 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

No, they dont. Much the same as an eco fan does the square root of diddly squat.

Indeed. My suggestion to measure with a thermometer was an oblique reference to the way people use one to 'prove' an ecofan does nothing when in actual fact, they improve comfort without changing the temperature. Just like Richard's 70quid fan. 

• Greenie 1

4 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

£59.95 for a dopey little fan? Are you off your trolley???!!!!!

:giggles:

Bet you checked the number of exclamation marks............I know I did, ?

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

The link is to a mains fan that draws 12 watts and makes between 20 and 50 decibels of noise, I assume the 20 is when its switched off :)

Its £70 which is a lot of money.

£55 will get a 12volt Caframo Ultimate fan which really is the ultimate boat cooling fan, we have three running this very moment and I have just ordered two more.

One of the biggest sources of fan noise is the interaction between the fan blades and the protective housing grille, this is also a source of inefficiency. The Caframo avoids this by using naked blades (no housing) and then uses soft edges to the blades so it don't hurt when you stick yer fingers in....but you do have to take care not to locate them near to loose curtains etc..

...............Dave

:) Yes... Caframo was the "expensive" make that was available when I was on the high seas and probably the kind of price I was recalling when I bought this one. No matter that the blades are soft, the fact that you have suggested not locating them near loose curtains is the very reason I wouldn't have bought one, even if I had I remembered the brand.

I agree that the link is to a mains fan, etc....., which was why I was a bit wary.... but they mentioned USB on the TV promo, and a bit of research confirmed it. It is the fan I bought, and it is being powered by a 2.1A USB socket.

It's running at it's highest setting right now and, at full power, I can hear it, but its not intrusive, and at 2/3rds power, is less noisy than the trees rustling outside with the windows open. At it's lowest setting I cant hear it but, presumably I would be able to in the dead of night.

So - for those in the market for a Caframo fan, but have dogs with big floppy ears ......... :) 

18 minutes ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

I'm reasonably certain fans do not cool anything, if you check with a thermometer. 

:P

I agree... all they can do is move air about. However, my legs, (and therefore all of the dog), are cool right now, and they can feel the breeze of the fan propelled air. If I turn the fan off, my legs warm up, (presumably the dog also warms up).

What might be happening is that they blow away the warm evaporated sweat, which allows more sweat to evaporate, and it is well known that sweating and the subsequent evaporation has a cooling effect.

Having said that, as dogs dont sweat, but lose heat by panting and through their paws, perhaps it's not as beneficial to the dog as I thought.

2 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

I agree... all they can do is move air about. However, my legs, (and therefore all of the dog), are cool right now, and they can feel the breeze of the fan propelled air. If I turn the fan off, my legs warm up, (presumably the dog also warms up).

What might be happening is that they blow away the warm evaporated sweat, which allows more sweat to evaporate, and it is well known that sweating and the subsequent evaporation has a cooling effect.

Having said that, as dogs dont sweat, but lose heat by panting and through their paws, perhaps it's not as beneficial to the dog as I thought.

Being creatures of instinct, dogs know what is best for them. Our dogs love to sit by a cold draught in these conditions.

12 minutes ago, catweasel said:

:) :) I have one of those under the fridge which runs 24/7 when the fridge is on. Cant remember whether it draws the hot air from the fridge through a hole into the bilge, or draws cool air from the bilge. I have another at the front of the boat by the water pump which runs 24/7 when the pump has power. This does the opposite of the fridge fan.

1 hour ago, Mike the Boilerman said:

:P

Depends on the volume of air moved.

BT cool their exchanges with fan driven fresh air for 85% of the year and use the same fans plus air conditioning for the other 15% of the year.

Mind you a BT Cooling Unit in a boat would provide plenty of cooling, but be a bit drafty. Would also need a 3 phase shoreline. ?

Edited by cuthound
Spillung

1 hour ago, Richard10002 said:

:) :) I have one of those under the fridge which runs 24/7 when the fridge is on. Cant remember whether it draws the hot air from the fridge through a hole into the bilge, or draws cool air from the bilge. I have another at the front of the boat by the water pump which runs 24/7 when the pump has power. This does the opposite of the fridge fan.

Two jobs that I need to do this winter! I need to draw air form the front where the water tank/pump lives in order to (hopefully) reduce condensation, and cooling for the fridge, especially in this weather. I currently have a desk fan blowing in the gap next to the fridge, which seems to make a significant difference to the "cut in" time.
I want to do the fridge thing permanently and planned on drawing cooler air from bilges.

1 hour ago, 1st ade said:

I do the same - a cold draught beer for preference...

No argument there, especially cold Guinness, or Taylors Landlord.

45 minutes ago, catweasel said:

Two jobs that I need to do this winter! I need to draw air form the front where the water tank/pump lives in order to (hopefully) reduce condensation, and cooling for the fridge, especially in this weather. I currently have a desk fan blowing in the gap next to the fridge, which seems to make a significant difference to the "cut in" time.
I want to do the fridge thing permanently and planned on drawing cooler air from bilges.

No argument there, especially cold Guinness, or Taylors Landlord.

Just leaving the boat to go for some :cheers:

4 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Not quite as technical but draws 0.5 amp via USB and produces loads of 'wind', sat with it blowing me as we speak.

£4.00 from Home Bargain type shops, or :

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Fine-Elements-Portable-Powered-Computer/dp/B01LXIEU00/ref=asc_df_B01LXIEU00/?tag=googshopuk-21&linkCode=df0&hvadid=258766850546&hvpos=1o3&hvnetw=g&hvrand=15453649968962550697&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9046218&hvtargid=pla-431200969911&psc=1

Loads of other options and sizes if you scroll down.

We have two of these. Got them last year. One has given up the ghost but excellent value for money. Leave it plugged in over the bed. Sure we paid £3.50 from Wilkingsons. 

2 hours ago, cuthound said:

Depends on the volume of air moved.

BT cool their exchanges with fan driven fresh air for 85% of the year and use the same fans plus air conditioning for the other 15% of the year.

Mind you a BT Cooling Unit in a boat would provide plenty of cooling, but be a bit drafty. Would also need a 3 phase shoreline. ?

The fan in question is said to move about 11 cubic metres per minute, (the 650 in the description is 650 cubic metres per hour).

I dont know how that translates into cooling effect but and more, and Poppys ears would be flapping in the breeze :) 

Did I spend £70 on a fan for the dog - looks like it :)