Standedge Tunnel Diggle to Marsden

frangar

Featured Posts

43 minutes ago, frangar said:

Well we made it....fantastic trip doesn’t even come close!

Moored up at Diggle the night before then moved to tunnel mouth first thing....Met Alistair who was to be be our chaperone and is a volunteer...couldn’t have wished for a nicer chap...took us 1 3/4 hours and as we are a trad he sat on the front with my OH...he also is a guide on the trip boat and was pointing out bits of interest throughout. 

They give you a couple of extra LED work lights which help a lot as did the magmount battery jobs I got from eBay.

The S bends in the middle mean I’m never going to moan about Braunston tunnel again! 

I’m glad we have a fair amount of tumblehome and are fairly deep draughted...even so it was tight in places but made it with no cabin damage...running without a exhaust stack or cutter did mean we blasted a fair amount of dust off the tunnel roof tho. 

Now to do it the other way in a week!! 

Ace ?

You made good time too. 

Spend a day in Slaithwaite. 

The shops and pubs are on your door step. Best and most friendly  village in the North!

I ‘d advise mooring above the Guillotine lock (24?)   Lovely. 

You can buy gas and coal by the lock and do your washing. 

Enjoy

• Greenie 1

6 minutes ago, Goliath said:

Ace ?

You made good time too. 

Spend a day in Slaithwaite. 

The shops and pubs are on your door step. Best and most friendly  village in the North!

I ‘d advise mooring above the Guillotine lock (24?)   Lovely. 

You can buy gas and coal by the lock and do your washing. 

Enjoy

Planning on arriving in Slaithwaite tomorrow water levels permitting. Definitely spending some time there...we’ve worked in Huddersfield....not feeling the need to linger there! 

Thanks for the mooring tip! 

You may not get into the side easily above the guillotine lock.  I always moor on the old cafe boat mooring above the next lock - less far to the pub & shops!  The Commercial was the best pub pub last time I was there.  The level of the next pound down can vary by as much as a foot - if too high you may not get under the bridges, but you can let water out through the next lock - I've had to do that more than once.

6 minutes ago, Mac of Cygnet said:

You may not get into the side easily above the guillotine lock.  I always moor on the old cafe boat mooring above the next lock - less far to the pub & shops!  The Commercial was the best pub pub last time I was there.  The level of the next pound down can vary by as much as a foot - if too high you may not get under the bridges, but you can let water out through the next lock - I've had to do that more than once.

I am typing this from the commercial! Pint of mild for £2.20=happy boater! 

Sadly the Washeteria has been replaced by a polish ceramic shop! We are moored behind the fire station. The Local CRT chaps & chapesses have been Marvellous sorting out levels as there have been a few low pounds today...the scouts boat ahead of us managed to dump themselves on the bottom in a lock! 

• Greenie 1

19 minutes ago, frangar said:

I am typing this from the commercial! Pint of mild for £2.20=happy boater! 

Sadly the Washeteria has been replaced by a polish ceramic shop! We are moored behind the fire station. The Local CRT chaps & chapesses have been Marvellous sorting out levels as there have been a few low pounds today...the scouts boat ahead of us managed to dump themselves on the bottom in a lock! 

There's a decent curry house just up and across from The Commercial -- which as you say has great beer at great prices ?

And don't miss the pies from the local butcher if they're open...