Paint? Or filler?

Featured Posts

Just saw this on a moored boat as I was walking up the towpath to Belfast this afternoon.20190724_160605.jpg.7dfa832980897dd849c135fa81c666fa.jpg

On an otherwise fairly well turned out semi trad boat, a whole chunk of paint missing just below the drain in the handrail, revealing rusting steel. A closer look showed that this was all filler - between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick!  You can also see cracks in the surrounding material, which will probably come away soon too. I'm not surprised that a little filler may have been used to fill grinding marks or pitting, but this is excessive! Anyone come across this much filler elsewhere?

And when I boated past later, there was a similar missing chunk at the corresponding place on the other side!

Funnily enough I was at a mates paint shop yesterday for a chat and he had two repaints in. One was a Liverpool shell and he said, just look at this. He was doing a bare metal job and the arse end was a semi trad and it was unbelievable, huge gaps between plates that were simply filled over. Not having a go at Liverpool as they are budget but I reckon things like this are not hard to find.

Edited by mrsmelly

Hard to understand this.

In forming the drainage hole has builder somehow got side too hot and caused a buckle that required lots of filler? Getting filler to stick over big areas is very difficult.

or

is the entire side wobbly and done in filler that has only failed below the drain due to constant exposure to water?

...............Dave

13 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

Funnily enough I was at a mates paint shop yesterday for a chat and he had two repaints in. One was a Liverpool shell and he said, just look at this. He was doing a bare metal job and the arse end was a semi trad and it was unbelievable, huge gaps between plates that were simply filled over. Not having a go at Liverpool as they are budget but I reckon things like this are not hard to find.

Last shell I bought from Liverpool was when Stan was firmly in charge back in mid 90's. Didn't see any really bad welding or fabrication, but they were straight forward honest boats, not the best by any means, but they didn't hide what they were. Welds were solid and the fabrication was fairly well done, grinding was flush (no more than flush.. well..). Overall Liverpool was a solid boat that keeps it's price well.

People that pay big money can afford to lose that money and are not bothered when their boat depreciates like a brick. They tend to shout the loudest that theirs is the best boat, but it isn't, not from a builders point of view. Just look at sales down the road. Only boats that hold prices are good boats. Certainly for the sensible boater.

Many builders seen as high end (only by punters) treat customers (behind backs) like s***. Those builders start to believe that they can charge whatever they like and treat folk however they want. It's not the builders fault, it's the fault of those that stick them on a pedestal that they're really not worthy of being on.

All boats have distortion, many grinds are over done etc, lack of structure, stiffeners, strengthening. They grind it right back then fill it, plus fill out the distortion. I and many builders laugh when those that think they know boats say "look at the lines on that, how straight it is". When most builders and people that do know what they're looking at just stand there thinking how much bog went into it.

Fake rivets, bog and more, tend to be the choice of some builders, that many punters/boaters tend to say are higher end, mostly because they're kept away from the building process. Builders know however who is worth the praise, rarely who the buying public think.

There is nothing wrong with bog in boats, if you want a lovely paint job. Just don't mistake it for fabrication or welding ie; lines.

All steel shells look pretty straight until painted. The builder knows that, so some builders fill the hell out of a shell when the paint goes on and tells the customer, it brings out the great lines, when really it's, smoke and mirrors.

Edited by 70liveaboard

Never heard the word "bog" in this context! Used to be "cocky" when I were a lad, sometimes "pudding." In the USA they appear to call it "mud."
I always enjoy the classic car restoration programmes in the USA and some of the cars are stunningly bad that come into the shop. 3/4" of filler one on (20mm.)

Back to boats; I suspect there is a lot of filler under some paint jobs! I have seen one or two showing cracking of the finish. My shell was blasted when bare and only a trace of filler on the roof welds. Personally I wouldn't have bothered, but the guy who primed it before finishing to sailaway level insisted.

If possible, during a new build, there is a lot to be said for inspecting your shell at strategic points of its build, not least before the paint is applied, which along with filler can cover a multitude of sins. Or employ a surveyor if unsure.

3 minutes ago, jonathanA said:

For the Victron smart solar device the manual clearly states it will auto detect  12 or 24 v system one time only.  After that you have to manually change it.

cant comment on other controllers

Ta for that...

On 24/07/2019 at 20:24, David Mack said:

Just saw this on a moored boat as I was walking up the towpath to Belfast this afternoon.20190724_160605.jpg.7dfa832980897dd849c135fa81c666fa.jpg

On an otherwise fairly well turned out semi trad boat, a whole chunk of paint missing just below the drain in the handrail, revealing rusting steel. A closer look showed that this was all filler - between 1/8 and 1/4 inch thick!  You can also see cracks in the surrounding material, which will probably come away soon too. I'm not surprised that a little filler may have been used to fill grinding marks or pitting, but this is excessive! Anyone come across this much filler elsewhere?

And when I boated past later, there was a similar missing chunk at the corresponding place on the other side!

Do you often take pictures of someone else's boat then upload them to discuss the problems on here? Wow.

28 minutes ago, GrahamSop said:

Do you often take pictures of someone else's boat then upload them to discuss the problems on here? Wow.

It's not a picture of someone's boat but a close up of a defect. It has started an interesting conversation on the topic. 

Can you manage to walk more than a couple of paces without complaining about a tenuous issue?

26 minutes ago, GrahamSop said:

a ) It was clearly visible on a public towpath.

b ) I have not identified the boat by name, builder, owners name, location, etc.

c) It is a subject I thought would be of interest to others on the forum.

d) You can't have read much on this forum as otherwise you would be aware that there is often discussion here ( as well as on many other sites) of other boats, including photographs. 

What is your problem with that?

29 minutes ago, David Mack said:

a ) It was clearly visible on a public towpath.

b ) I have not identified the boat by name, builder, owners name, location, etc.

c) It is a subject I thought would be of interest to others on the forum.

d) You can't have read much on this forum as otherwise you would be aware that there is often discussion here ( as well as on many other sites) of other boats, including photographs. 

What is your problem with that?

You have done nothing wrong, ignore him.

As there is no identification of the boat in question, or the owners, I can't see a problem. It is a very close up shot of a paint defect on an anonymous boat. 
I might think differently if the boat's name were in the pic, or some other form of I.D.
It is of course possible to report the post, and let the forum moderators make a decision as to whether the pic is some kind of invasion of someone's privacy etc.

Edited by Guest

9 minutes ago, catweasel said:

I might think differently if the boat's name was in the pic, or some other form of I.D.

Well presumably it is in Ireland ……………………………..

On ‎24‎/‎07‎/‎2019 at 20:24, David Mack said:

Just saw this on a moored boat as I was walking up the towpath to Belfast this afternoon.

1 hour ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Well presumably it is in Ireland ……………………………..

Or not, David's boat is Belfast 115

I have seen a couple of boats like this, once the damp gets behind the filler there is no stopping it, the whole lot has to come off. 

Some later Stowe Hill boats were nicknamed Stowe Filler, there is so much on the gunnel edges, cabin welds and other areas.

14 minutes ago, TheBiscuits said:

Maybe it's his boat and he doesn't want anyone to know it's been plastered with filler ...

Fair comment. I am sure the mods would remove the pic upon request if it were causing upset?

1 hour ago, matty40s said:

Some later Stowe Hill boats were nicknamed Stowe Filler, there is so much on the gunnel edges, cabin welds and other areas.

Yes in the boat fitting trade the theory was that if you threw 10 magnets at them only 3 would stick. 

• Greenie 1