Painting Commences

Featured Posts

Has anyone tried 'Peel-Away' (paint stripper) ?

It allegedly removes up to 18 coats on paint in one go - only on single pack paints.

Simply put about a 3mm thick layer of the 'paste' and cover it with the 'blanket', smooth out all air bubbles and tape down the edges of the 1m squared 'blanket'.

Leave it between 30 minutes and 48 hours depending on the thickness of the paint.

Peel back the blanket and 80%-100% of the paint comes away with the blanket, any remainder is removed (very easily) with a scraper.

As we are going to be painting with 2-pack epoxy every trace of the old single-pack needs to be removed to avoid any reaction / blistering / bubbling

Have been having some problems with the paste drying out due the temperatures in the 30's but where it has been in the shade it works very well - its not cheap at £140 a tub (I need 4 tubs for the boat superstructure) but it is easier than sanding etc.

Stripper 5.jpeg

Stripper 3.jpeg

Stripper 4.jpeg

20190717_131502.jpg

Edited by Alan de Enfield
  • Greenie 1

I've seen that used on a house in Brewood, just up the road from the pub, to remove a build up of paint on brickwork. Judging by the brickwork which had already been done it was very effective. It looked like they were doing the whole outside of the house with it.

Surely you're not testing it on the dog????

Edited by sharpness

8 hours ago, sharpness said:

I've seen that used on a house in Brewood, just up the road from the pub, to remove a build up of paint on brickwork. Judging by the brickwork which had already been done it was very effective. It looked like they were doing the whole outside of the house with it.

Surely you're not testing it on the dog????

Yup - just seeing if it will take his 'coat' off.

It would be pretty expensive to do a house - it works out at about £10 per square metre.

They do another grade that is for brickwork but the marine version is GRP and metal 'friendly'.

11 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

As we are going to be painting with 2-pack epoxy every trace of the old single-pack needs to be removed to avoid any reaction / blistering / bubbling

How do you remove any paint stripper residue to ensure there's no reaction?

Presumably you're sanding the surface to give it a key for your epoxy, so I'd dust and then spirit wipe with the recommended thinners for the epoxy before painting.

Edit: I'm not sure what paint that is but it looks like Hemple. Be sure to thoroughly mix the paint before adding any hardener and if you need to add thinners then the epoxies I've used allow 10% to be added after mixing the paint.

Edited by blackrose

Just now, blackrose said:

Presumably you're sanding the surface to give it a key for your epoxy, so I'd dust and then spirit wipe with the recommended thinners for the epoxy before painting.

Yes, that's the plan.

Followed by

2 or 3 layers of 'High Build' epoxy primer to level it all off and fill in the 'scrapes' etc

coat of undercoat

coat of 'high Gloss' top coat

coat of Deck Non-slip' on the walkways.

2 hours ago, blackrose said:

I know you and Alan know what you are doing, but for the ones who don't, watch out for the word 'sanding'. This is usually used to describe the 'smoothing' of a surface. In this case you are trying to remove the remaining old paint etc but not smoothing the surface. For epoxy to stick, you get chemical bonding from the epoxy but also need a mechanical key so 'roughening' the surface is needed.

Paint manufacturers find it difficult to define performance on hand prepared steel as it is nigh on impossible to define the standard you need to get to....unlike when you grit blast and get a defined surface profile. 

The paint stripper sounds interesting!