Water pump not coming on

strummerjoe

Featured Posts

Hi all,

i have a Sahara S500 water pump which has just started not to come on automatically. If you twist the small bit at the top which I assume is connected to the float it will come on and get rid of the water in the box. But if I fill up the box manually it will not come on.

i have cleaned it out as best as I can without any difference and the only other issue I can see is the flap on the rubber seal has come away. 

Anybody had had this issue or any advice?

cheers

strummerjoe.

1 hour ago, strummerjoe said:

i have a Sahara S500 water pump

More usually called a bilge pump. Is this being used to empty a bilge, or some other function?

If you twist the small bit at the top which I assume is connected to the float it will come on

Yes, this is the test knob. It isn't connected to the float, but will switch on the electric motor directly to run the pump.

i have cleaned it out as best as I can without any difference and the only other issue I can see is the flap on the rubber seal has come away. 

When you say cleaned it out, do you mean you have separated the white upper section, which holds all the mechanical and electrical gubbins from the blue lower section? This exposes the float that should move up and down easily as you turn the upper section upside down and back. Don't understand what the flap on the rubber seal is. Any chance of a picture?

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Yes, Whale Gulpers are brilliant. Almost impossible to kill. Connect directly to the shower drain and direct the outlet overboard. No need for a sump, which gets horribly manky with soap, scum and hair. Put a switch in. Switch on when starting to shower. Switch off when you've finished. They don't mind running dry for a bit.

Jen

Edited by Jen-in-Wellies

Hi,

to the other reply, I’ve separated the blue section and cleaned all the gunk, from in and around the float. When I test it in my hand by pressing the float up the pump comes on but not always. But when I put it back into the box and connect to seal and start to put water in to test absolutely nothing happens and the water comes up to the top of the pump where the wires enter. 

Cheers

I had one of those, still have it actually although it is destined for the bin. The twisty knob is connected to the float and if you twist the knob it will switch the pump. But the float gets jammed up and does not float. you can take it apart and clean and lubricate the float but it doesn't last long. I was using mine as a bilge pump, which is what it is actually designed for. I have changed mine for a Rule fully automatic pump which has no float. My new pump was expensive, ( what isn't when it's to do with boats) but the way it works is it pulses every so often and senses the depth of water and if the water is of such a depth it then pumps out. It isn't suitable as a shower pump and neither is the one you have. As said a Whale Gulper is the way to go.

As others have said put it down to lifes experiences. Its basicaly a load of crap and needs throwing in the bin, put simply they do not work and are totaly unreliable. I fell for fitting one in a boat twenty years ago but quickly binned it. The whale gulper or similar design pump is the only way to go.

Hi,

thanks for all your replies.

i honestly cannot remember why I went for this at the time, probably cost, but as they say, but cheap buy twice. 

Im fortunate that I can use a shower at work so I guess it’s best to bin this if I can’t get it to work and go for a gulper when I can afford it! 

On the the subject of these, are they easy to fit? Hopefully I can make use of the pipes and stuff I already have set up for the one I have.

cheers again 

strummerjoe

Just now, strummerjoe said:

Hi,

thanks for all your replies.

i honestly cannot remember why I went for this at the time, probably cost, but as they say, but cheap buy twice. 

Im fortunate that I can use a shower at work so I guess it’s best to bin this if I can’t get it to work and go for a gulper when I can afford it! 

On the the subject of these, are they easy to fit? Hopefully I can make use of the pipes and stuff I already have set up for the one I have.

cheers again 

strummerjoe

You should be able to use same pipes with a clip or two different. You will need to wire an on/off switch which is easy as they are not automatic like the one you have now would be if it worked.