First pump out -HELP !!

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

9 minutes ago, Slim said:

About as much use to the OP as the cotents of your cassette.

To the OP.

By the time I read your post several useful posts have been made. Whilst I'm surprised you hadn't sussed the issue out earlier I wish you good luck.. It's not that difficult once you address the matter in a calm, reasoned manner. Much easier than coming close up with yesterdays dinner as some seem to enjoy

Actualy on this boat I have a stupid macerator bog with a silly tank taking useful storage space up. When it goes wrong which it will I will remove it and replace with a sensible option. I mainly use a porta bog at present, very quick, easy and virtualy smell free to empty. Can also carry it to the elsan point even if ice is several inches thick on the cut. Pumpouts may be ok on hobby boats but for long term use they make no sense whatsoever.

1 minute ago, carlt said:

The last time that hose was used it was stuck in someone's cassette, washing out their poo and wee.

I would empty your tank and refill it with some sterilising tabs.

There's an expensive looking elsan station at Hebden Bridge. The kit is built into a lockable GRP cabinet about 5yards away from the very slow water point. You open the cabinet and there's the emptying bowl and on the left of that is a flush out tap with  a label above : "DRINKING WATER". No,the label has not been defaced.I wonder who signed this off as correctly installed and fit for service?

25 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

After visiting the pump out station for another inspection, I noted the large bowel with large hole at the bottom.

An apposite typo! I think your large bowel might soon be feeling the effects of filling the fresh water tank from the elsan rinse out hose. As others have said you would be well advised to empty your tank, refill with water and something to sterilise it, leave for a few hours then drain and refill again. Thin (not thick) bleach has been recommended on here in the past as a cheap and effective sterilising agent.

7 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

I mainly use a porta bog at present, very quick, easy and virtualy smell free to empty. Can also carry it to the elsan point even if ice is several inches thick on the cut. 

MrSmelly on the way to the Elsan last winter......

giphy.gif

Edited by matty40s
  • Greenie 1
  • Happy 1
  • Haha 1
  • Angry 1

4 hours ago, Señor Chris said:

Only the poor would put a caravan toilet on a boat.

I never saw the choice of whether to carry a ton of excrement around the waterways on your boat or not as a class issue before. 

FREEDOM FOR POOTING! 

250px-Citizen_smith.jpg.46eba819a144c824b2f6ec2af8e73056.jpg

• Greenie 1

'I'm FREE - FREE of other people's poo !!'

Thanks to the guy on the bank opposite who started his petrol strimming at 5 am, I was up early with a new determined look on my face.

Pulled my boat back to the station to start again. I turned the main hose around (the end that is attached to the main equipment) only to see it was split !!.

The other small pieces of cut of flexible pipe should have given me a heads up.

With a screw driver and Stanley knife I had the thing attached and I was merrily removing waste from my boat. Phew. All gone.

Having done a few driving jobs recently I am quite good at Easter management so can control when I go and making the most of every opportunity. With the size of the tank I don't expect to do this for another 2/3 years. What a system !!

As regards my water tank.

I remember the previous owner saying how he put half a bottle of Mamia Baby Care sterilising fluid into a whole tank. I found a new bottle so put maybe a third in there.

Had a hot shower last night and found myself feeling a little 'flush'. A bit like when you were a kid going to the public swimming baths and getting slightly sore eyes from the chlorine in the water.

Might have over done it with the sterilising fluid.

Jobs for today.

Fill up with diesel.

Leave tap running as I go for a long drive.............

Oh and a final thing -

Why the hell doesn't a 5cm plastic screw cap float ?

Onwards and upwards.........

Edited by NewCanalBoy

2 hours ago, carlt said:

I never saw the choice of whether to carry a ton of excrement around the waterways on your boat or not as a class issue before. 

FREEDOM FOR POOTING! 

250px-Citizen_smith.jpg.46eba819a144c824b2f6ec2af8e73056.jpg

So given i have the potential capacity for several thousand litres of poo in my hold i must be potentially at least a baron.

The Baron of Poo . What a boat name..

defo classier than New Dawn

58 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

' With the size of the tank I don't expect to do this for another 2/3 years. What a system !!

Are you saying you hope to only pump out once every two or three years?  That would be wonderful but highly unlikely. Many boats pump out almost weekly, a sensible setup used in a sensible way should go for at least a month, ideally two. A few boats can go a few months.

With care you can maybe manage on a couple of litres per day per person, 1 litre would be very optimistic.

Even at a litre per day 2 years for one person would need a 700 litre poo tank, 2 people at 2 litres per day for 2 years is 3000 litres, thats 3 ton of poo, your boat will list badly :)

.............Dave 

13 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Well let's see - no idea really but only going to be used in emergencies.

Put it in the diary - Little Wing emptied it's holding tank on the 25/7/2019.

Well done Newcanalboy. Glad you are empty. Apologies for not thinking your post was genuine.

If you are heading towards Denver then fill up with diesel at Little Ouse Moorings ,turn right just past the Ship. Best priced diesel on the river ☺️

Edited by PaulJ

3 hours ago, PaulJ said:

Well done Newcanalboy. Glad you are empty. Apologies for not thinking your post was genuine.

If you are heading towards Denver then fill up with diesel at Little Ouse Moorings ,turn right just past the Ship. Best priced diesel on the river ☺️

Damn, filled up in Ely !!

But never mind as my fuel gauge clearly isn't that accurate as I only got 35 quid in !!

So bog emptied, diesel tank full, half my sanitised fresh water so far donated to the river system, moored opposite a pub. As Alan Partridge once said - 

'Back of the net !!'

I used to have a Vetus fitting for my pump out - which is not compatible with the normally found pump out - it was a pain because I had to get it done at places were they carried an adaptor. In the end I changed the fitting for the usual thing (rather than buy an adaptor of my own, only to end up dropping it in the drink) - had to dismantle a lot of boat to get to the pipe, which is on the roof.

Anyway - I find that some places the seal is not too good, it's surprising that just a little air getting in will spoil things. But, a piece of wet tissue wadded around the hole/probe works wonders. Worth knowing, and keep a bit on hand cos wants the pumps running you can't afford to waste it!

It's definitely always better to get a serviced pump out if you possibly can - that way it's on them to maintain the suction, you get as long as you need and some places do you a decent rinse out (maybe even a splash of blue in there if you are very lucky!).

Mine stinks though - and I sleep over the tank :( And my gauge is bust :(   :( 

24 minutes ago, Johny London said:

I used to have a Vetus fitting for my pump out - which is not compatible with the normally found pump out - it was a pain because I had to get it done at places were they carried an adaptor. In the end I changed the fitting for the usual thing (rather than buy an adaptor of my own, only to end up dropping it in the drink)

We got an adaptor - very handy, and have managed not to drop it in the drink. It cost peanuts as I recall - and a lot easier than dismantling the boat!

13 hours ago, Johny London said:

And my gauge is bust :(   :( 

Ive never had a gauge on my boat, you just get used to the sounds it makes when you move around on the boat. When its emptyish it don't make any sounds as it gets fuller and it slurps around in the tank it starts to make a Dumpff noise the deeper the sound the fuller it gets when it completely stops making that noise you know it aint going to flush away ??.

On 24/07/2019 at 20:17, NewCanalBoy said:

Another thought, my boat has a built in 'sewage pump'.

I've measured the distance and I could hold the pump handle in one hand, and just reach the sewage pump switch in the other.

What could possibly go wrong ?!

In that case you may have some kind of diverter valve between you self pumpout and the station pumpout connection, The Eley one is not the best sucker so be patent, it takes time to build up a vacuum 

On 25/07/2019 at 08:32, dmr said:

Are you saying you hope to only pump out once every two or three years?  That would be wonderful but highly unlikely. Many boats pump out almost weekly, a sensible setup used in a sensible way should go for at least a month, ideally two. A few boats can go a few months.

With care you can maybe manage on a couple of litres per day per person, 1 litre would be very optimistic.

Even at a litre per day 2 years for one person would need a 700 litre poo tank, 2 people at 2 litres per day for 2 years is 3000 litres, thats 3 ton of poo, your boat will list badly :)

.............Dave 

I produce 2.5 lt pee per day, but I understand that is a bit high, the killer is the amount of flush water that goes down, this is where the dup through wins

3 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

In that case you may have some kind of diverter valve between you self pumpout and the station pumpout connection, The Eley one is not the best sucker so be patent, it takes time to build up a vacuum 

I produce 2.5 lt pee per day, but I understand that is a bit high, the killer is the amount of flush water that goes down, this is where the dup through wins

Too much beer?   I suspect that many boaters pee in the hedge, assuming they are not moored in central Brum in the daytime, so the solids and flushing water are the real limitation. I have tried to perfect a minimal water flush (dump thru') but I suspect its still about a litre. Maybe I will measure it at some stage.

but the tank is a bit full at present so not a good time for experiments, made a last minute change of plan due to hot weather and decided to have longer on the Thames.

.............Dave

15 minutes ago, dmr said:

Too much beer?   I suspect that many boaters pee in the hedge, assuming they are not moored in central Brum in the daytime, so the solids and flushing water are the real limitation. I have tried to perfect a minimal water flush (dump thru') but I suspect its still about a litre. Maybe I will measure it at some stage.

but the tank is a bit full at present so not a good time for experiments, made a last minute change of plan due to hot weather and decided to have longer on the Thames.

.............Dave

Peeing in the hedge?  I passed a boat coming towards me with a guy stood on the bows (remember the scene in Titanic?) pissing into the canal.........