First pump out -HELP !!

NewCanalBoy

Featured Posts

1 minute ago, NewCanalBoy said:

It's a large white plastic tank, you can see the line of how full it is.

It was about 7/10 tenths full, but when I was told to throw a couple of buckets in it to wash it through I was a bit too eager.

It's now 9/10 full ..........

It's kind of f*cking me in the head to be honest, driving around in a boat full of other people's sh*t.......  

Yes, they make zero sense. remove the daft thing and fit a proper boat bog and use the not inconsiderable amount of wasted space were the tank now is as always valuable storage.

16 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

Yes, they make zero sense. remove the daft thing and fit a proper boat bog and use the not inconsiderable amount of wasted space were the tank now is as always valuable storage.

Its the subject which just keeps on giving!

Edited by Capt Ahab

18 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

It's a large white plastic tank, you can see the line of how full it is.

It was about 7/10 tenths full, but when I was told to throw a couple of buckets in it to wash it through I was a bit too eager.

It's now 9/10 full ..........

It's kind of f*cking me in the head to be honest, driving around in a boat full of other people's sh*t.......  

You chuck the couple of bucket fulls in after you have emptied it to flush it and then suck them out.

Thinking about it, the guy that I approached went into the 'pump out station' with his cassette.

So is the same pump/handle used for both the cassette and the pump out nozzle on the boat ?

I didn't hang around to see if he was successful, I mean you don't do you ? Hang around to watch another man's sh*t being pumped out........

Just now, NewCanalBoy said:

Thinking about it, the guy that I approached went into the 'pump out station' with his cassette.

So is the same pump/handle used for both the cassette and the pump out nozzle on the boat ?

No nothing remotely similar.

An elsan / cassette is emptied into a dedicated toilet bowl, flushed, rinse out the cassette and jobs over and done with.

No payment, no hassle, no 'broken' pump-out machines.

Another thought, my boat has a built in 'sewage pump'.

I've measured the distance and I could hold the pump handle in one hand, and just reach the sewage pump switch in the other.

What could possibly go wrong ?!

Just now, carlt said:

I'm not sure but could you please post photos of the aftermath? 

No thank you.

Do you remember the pictures posted a few years ago by "Are We There Yet"

Apparently he 'followed' in after a self pump-out and the pipe end appeared to have decided to thrash about squirting its contents all over the wall, ceiling and floor/

Just now, Alan de Enfield said:

Apparently he 'followed' in after a self pump-out and the pipe end appeared to have decided to thrash about squirting its contents all over the wall, ceiling and floor/

Yes the same happened to me after I waited for someone to finish a self - pump out in the toilet at Cropredy. 

When I asked him if he was going to clean it up he just shrugged and said it was BW's job. 

They are disgusting bits of kit and should be banned. 

• Greenie 1

2 hours ago, ditchcrawler said:

Drop the end in the cut and see if it sucks, some take time to build up suction. Again where are you, the Denver one has a very long pipe and takes a time to get going

Also make sure the end of the hose is properly sealed into your pumpout connection. If there is a leak all it will do is suck air. I have found you sometimes have to push the fitting on the end of the hose quite hard into the fitting on the boat, and continue to lean on it while pumping out.

10 minutes ago, David Mack said:

Also make sure the end of the hose is properly sealed into your pumpout connection. If there is a leak all it will do is suck air. I have found you sometimes have to push the fitting on the end of the hose quite hard into the fitting on the boat, and continue to lean on it while pumping out.

If it is sucking air via the loose fit into the pump out hole dribble a constant flow of water from the rinse hose onto the ‘connection’ which blocks the air gap with water.  So long as the leak is not too big, it does work.

30 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

Another thought, my boat has a built in 'sewage pump'.

I've measured the distance and I could hold the pump handle in one hand, and just reach the sewage pump switch in the other.

What could possibly go wrong ?!

Put the battered sausage well out of range first.

After visiting the pump out station for another inspection, I noted the large bowel with large hole at the bottom.

I used the hose that was next to it to fill my water tank, I did have the sense to let the water run and wipe the end of it.

It just concerns me that the sign above it says 'chemical waste' - there's not stuff in that water to help break things down is there ? I haven't just ruined my fresh water tank ?

IMG_20190724_204050949__1563997576_92.40.248.149.jpg

5 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

After visiting the pump out station for another inspection, I noted the large bowel with large hole at the bottom.

I used the hose that was next to it to fill my water tank, I did have the sense to let the water run and wipe the end of it.

It just concerns me that the sign above it says 'chemical waste' - there's not stuff in that water to help break things down is there ? I haven't just ruined my fresh water tank ?

Seems to me that you've just visited an Elsan station. You will usually find a tap next to the bowl (which is where folk like me empty their cassettes) and often that tap will say something to the effect that is does not supply drinking water. I've no idea if it contains chemicals to help break stuff down, but there's no way I would use that tap to fill my water tank.

4 hours ago, mrsmelly said:

There will prob be a vent u cannot see. maybe out te hull side or roof? If its a dump through bog it will not mater anyway. Get the daft thing done this time then skip it and fit a proper boat bog, it will be no problem. 

About as much use to the OP as the cotents of your cassette.

To the OP.

By the time I read your post several useful posts have been made. Whilst I'm surprised you hadn't sussed the issue out earlier I wish you good luck.. It's not that difficult once you address the matter in a calm, reasoned manner. Much easier than coming close up with yesterdays dinner as some seem to enjoy

2 minutes ago, Chewbacka said:

Wiped the end???  If I had to use that hose I would want to boil it for a day first........

Its not the rinse hose in the pic. Thats short. I used it there at Ely about a week ago. The drinking  water tap is on the outside of the Elsan with a big blue sign on it-you can see it clearly in the other pic. This is a wind up thread...

11 minutes ago, NewCanalBoy said:

The last time that hose was used it was stuck in someone's cassette, washing out their poo and wee.

I would empty your tank and refill it with some sterilising tabs.

I doubt if elf and safety would allow a hose  to supply chemicals, to be left in a public space without a seperate( probably locked valve) to turn it on.

however with regard to wiping the end of the hose and then filling your tank .. no no no. That hose will have been used to hose out the inside of other peoples elsan tanks, probably by being put in the flap.

other peoples microbes do not mix with your lower intestine.

miltons in your tank would be a good move.