Oil Slick near Fazeley Junction

Featured Posts

Hi all, just to let you know that I passed through a very large and thick oil slick in the canal, awful stuff and not just a boat engine, this looks like a major leak / dumping.

Does anyone know of it’s source?

plus do I need to be concerned about the boat (even with blacking) and/or dragging pollution with me? Been a busy route on the canal towards Fradley junction today.....should people worry about being moored in it?

Just thought I’d ask, cheers all.

Last year I tried reporting a major diesel spillage in the canal near there. Again not just a small amount but a LOT (I know diesel spreads a long way but this had turned over 5 miles of canal into an area where you could hardly breathe). CRT said it was nothing to do with them because it wouldn't affect navigation, EA said it was nothing to do with them because it was on CRT waters. Personally I think they were both wrong but couldn't be bothered to take it further, just held my breath and carried on but I bet it softened my blacking.

On 24/07/2019 at 14:24, Keeping Up said:

Last year I tried reporting a major diesel spillage in the canal near there. Again not just a small amount but a LOT (I know diesel spreads a long way but this had turned over 5 miles of canal into an area where you could hardly breathe). CRT said it was nothing to do with them because it wouldn't affect navigation, EA said it was nothing to do with them because it was on CRT waters. Personally I think they were both wrong but couldn't be bothered to take it further, just held my breath and carried on but I bet it softened my blacking.

That is such a ridiculously bad scenario....they have a joint responsibility, too many organisations cite budgets or quote the Teflon shoulder line.....the birds around there were is such a sorry state ?

Reading the other responses it seems like there is a serious issue in that area, surely has to be dumping of sorts!? All of the new housing is lower + not logical for such large quantities either...can’t imagine the wood yard having such quantities in storage either....or would hope not!?
On 24/07/2019 at 17:32, J R ALSOP said:

Every time I pass that way there seems to be a spillage of some sort between the junction and the winding hole about  3/4 mile towards Fradley.

Someone must feel the need to investigate at some point

On 25/07/2019 at 10:07, Heartland said:

These comments are worrying, as the oil is not just an inconvenience, but a threat to the ecology of the area. That it is happening on what seems to be a regular the cause deserves to be investigated.

Sorry didn’t see this one but totally agree....if not deliberate dumping then is certainly wilful negligence

On 25/07/2019 at 12:33, johnmck said:

We reported it yesterday. Whilst no lover of Canada Geese,  it was sad to see a flock saturated in this oil, trying to preen it off.

Snap - I walked past a very sorry looking duck.....every time I went close it went to j7mp back into the oil slick...so kept my distance & phoned the RSPCB

20 hours ago, Heartland said:

I have been told that the CRT are dealing with this and the Geese have been looked after

Will be back past that way soon, so look forward to seeing what has been done.....although the oil slick was so bad for several hundred yards I can’t think what they can do without closing that stretch for a while.....it will be getting churned up for ages yet.

Historically there were several industrial premises, including a Gas Works and there are probably pipes that link with the waterway. From what has been mentioned it is probably less likely to be road run off, but Watling Street is a busy road and a leak from a vehicle does remain a possible explanation. I trust CRT will find the answer. 

21 minutes ago, Heartland said:

Historically there were several industrial premises, including a Gas Works and there are probably pipes that link with the waterway. From what has been mentioned it is probably less likely to be road run off, but Watling Street is a busy road and a leak from a vehicle does remain a possible explanation. I trust CRT will find the answer. 

Agreed but this leak if only a leak from a vehicle was some big engine!!! It really looked like a dumping or a tank leak - I know oil spreads a bit like blood but this was a substantial depth and spread.....were talking gallons not litres on this one. Seems strange that a prior leak was diesel, and now oil?

Fingers crossed ? 

It didn’t look like clean oil either.....if you know what I mean.

Edited by The Grumpy Triker

Came through a couple of days ago.

There is now a barrage of absorbant "floats" around the offside foot of Bonehill Road Bridge so this appears to be the source. No longer any slick. All is well on the goose front so RSPB appear to have done well

• Happy 1

8 hours ago, MartinC said:

Came through a couple of days ago.

There is now a barrage of absorbant "floats" around the offside foot of Bonehill Road Bridge so this appears to be the source. No longer any slick. All is well on the goose front so RSPB appear to have done well

? thanks for letting us know....good to know that the bird life is looked after - like others I think we have enough Canada Geese but equally wouldn’t wish this on any of them. Let’s hope they can clear up the rest of it ASAP.

• 1 month later...

Came through today and there is still a lot of diesel floating on the Canal for at least a couple of miles before Fazeley junction. More worrying is the the black oil that is still there for an area of about half a mile. Can't imagine much in the way of wildlife could survive in the water be they inverts, fish or birds. It does not look like much attempt has been made to remove the stuff. Was the "Pollution response procedure" followed? 

4 hours ago, Felshampo said:

Came through today and there is still a lot of diesel floating on the Canal for at least a couple of miles before Fazeley junction. More worrying is the the black oil that is still there for an area of about half a mile. Can't imagine much in the way of wildlife could survive in the water be they inverts, fish or birds. It does not look like much attempt has been made to remove the stuff. Was the "Pollution response procedure" followed? 

We came through today, and the area round the A5 road bridge was covered in thick black oil.  I reported it to CRT on Twitter and they came back with “Hi there, The team has been put to this, they have put down absorbent pads. The EA has been informed as well as the RSPCA, thanks, Yvonne”. Not sure if that means they have done anything additional or not.  There were a few absorbent pads at the side of the canal already, but not exactly achieving much.

9 hours ago, john6767 said:

We came through today, and the area round the A5 road bridge was covered in thick black oil.  I reported it to CRT on Twitter and they came back with “Hi there, The team has been put to this, they have put down absorbent pads. The EA has been informed as well as the RSPCA, thanks, Yvonne”. Not sure if that means they have done anything additional or not.  There were a few absorbent pads at the side of the canal already, but not exactly achieving much.

I saw those pads but thought they were some kind of cushion for the bridge holes. If that's what they are using its a waste of time as they will never absorb the amount of oil that is in the Canal. I will give them a ring today and see what they have to say about it. 

Phoned CRT to be told they had now had lots of reports of this incident and were on it. They would soon have it sorted. I pointed out that the diesel spill was over more than a mile and the oil was over several hundred yards so it would take a lot of sorting. So I don't think they understand how bad it is. Also I am not sure they have the equipment to remove this stuff from the water. We need international rescue......... 

Rather concerning.  Whilst the diesel does cover a larger area it not that bad, and could conceivably come from a boat.  But the oil is a large amount of thick black oil, it is hard to see where that could come from a boat, as no boat would have that sort of quantity.  So either it’s being dumped in the canal, or could there be a pipe leaking somewhere.

14 hours ago, john6767 said:

Rather concerning.  Whilst the diesel does cover a larger area it not that bad, and could conceivably come from a boat.  But the oil is a large amount of thick black oil, it is hard to see where that could come from a boat, as no boat would have that sort of quantity.  So either it’s being dumped in the canal, or could there be a pipe leaking somewhere.

Apparently there was a bad spill of oil in July. Rumour has it, no hard evidence you understand, that a local factory is to blame. So they could be at it again but how you prove it is another question. What's more important now is cleaning it up.