Skipper/tutor

69intheshade

Featured Posts

I'm in the process of buying a narrowboat lying in Mercia Marina, Willington, Derbyshire,

when the purchase is complete I would like to take the boat by canal up to Viking Marina, Goole, East Yorkshire.

Can anyone advise me on hiring someone to skipper the boat there whilst giving me tuition, and what would it cost?

As I've never narrow boated before any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

2 hours ago, 69intheshade said:

I'm in the process of buying a narrowboat lying in Mercia Marina, Willington, Derbyshire,

when the purchase is complete I would like to take the boat by canal up to Viking Marina, Goole, East Yorkshire.

Can anyone advise me on hiring someone to skipper the boat there whilst giving me tuition, and what would it cost?

As I've never narrow boated before any advice would be welcome.

Thanks in advance.

Is this the boat that needs dry-docking, work doing and the engine taken out, or is it another one ?

It would not be 'ideal' to be on a tidal river unless you were very confident in the boats reliability & capabilities.

Edited by Alan de Enfield

19 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

Is this the boat that needs dry-docking, work doing and the engine taken out, or is it another one ?

It would not be 'ideal' to be on a tidal river unless you were very confident in the boats reliability & capabilities.

He can go the other way across the L and L if its a tiny boat thus avoiding the Trent?

11 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

This might be the same boat?  If it is.... she has been dry docked for the surveyor and surveyed in good condition.

The engine only requires lifting out to facilitate a thorough bilge painting.

The main work required is superficial paint work and window seals.

Thanks for your concern, although I've not skippered a narrowboat I have experience of sea and river vessels, my last boat was a 42'  Valkkruiser on the Shannon.

I hold a 'RYA Day Skipper' and ICC qualification, have two 20kg Danforth anchors, four automatic life jackets, an inflatable dinghy.

I'm hoping all should be well but even the best maintained boat can suffer an unexpected breakdown or accident.

Thanks again for your response

20 minutes ago, Nut said:

good luck with the new boat

Thank you : )

2 hours ago, bigray said:

Try calling Pete/Chris on 07985 125347 they are really helpful and experienced,

Thank you for your help, much appreciated : )

12 minutes ago, mrsmelly said:

He can go the other way across the L and L if its a tiny boat thus avoiding the Trent?

I had considered that, but :

a ) Its a heck of a long way around &

b ) There won't be any water in the L&L by next week (it'll just be a re-run of last year)

11 minutes ago, 69intheshade said:

Thanks for your concern, although I've not skippered a narrowboat I have experience of sea and river vessels, my last boat was a 42'  Valkkruiser on the Shannon.

I hold a 'RYA Day Skipper' and ICC qualification, have two 20kg Danforth anchors, four automatic life jackets, an inflatable dinghy.

I'm hoping all should be well but even the best maintained boat can suffer an unexpected breakdown or accident.

Great, please to hear that you have skills and are prepared, and I wish you all the best.

You are obviously aware of the differences of NB's (hence asking for a skipper) - the main difference being their lack of suitability for tidal waters.

7 minutes ago, 69intheshade said:

although I've not skippered a narrowboat I have experience of sea and river vessels, my last boat was a 42'  Valkkruiser on the Shannon.

Based on the above, you probably have more skills and experience than most people who skipper narrowboats. Having said that, if you haven’t done many locks, then that is something you need to learn, and I guess there will be one or two other things that are unique to narrowboating and canals.

Prior to buying our narrowboat in 2011, I had been sailing the high seas for over 30 years and, in a previous life, was an officer in the merchant navy for a short time.

In 2006, I did an RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman Course over 2 days, and got a flavour of what I needed to know for canals. The 4 things that stood out were:

1) Locks

2) reversing

3) Boatmans hitch

4) if you fall in, you can probably walk ashore, or back to the boat.

Some of the members of our club on The Bridgewater, (no locks), think that the canal is rough if the waves reach more than a few inches.

Nothing wrong with hiring someone to accompany you in unfamiliar territory. If you have time, I’d definitely recommend the RYA course.

24 minutes ago, Richard10002 said:

Based on the above, you probably have more skills and experience than most people who skipper narrowboats. Having said that, if you haven’t done many locks, then that is something you need to learn, and I guess there will be one or two other things that are unique to narrowboating and canals.

Prior to buying our narrowboat in 2011, I had been sailing the high seas for over 30 years and, in a previous life, was an officer in the merchant navy for a short time.

In 2006, I did an RYA Inland Waterways Helmsman Course over 2 days, and got a flavour of what I needed to know for canals. The 4 things that stood out were:

1) Locks

2) reversing

3) Boatmans hitch

4) if you fall in, you can probably walk ashore, or back to the boat.

Some of the members of our club on The Bridgewater, (no locks), think that the canal is rough if the waves reach more than a few inches.

Nothing wrong with hiring someone to accompany you in unfamiliar territory. If you have time, I’d definitely recommend the RYA course.

Thank you for your kind and humorous reply.

Although I've had boats in Spain, Ireland, and on the tidal River Medway I only ever locked twice both times manned and electrically operated.

My narrowboat is 57ft long and beside being solo I now suffer with Multiple Sclerosis so confidence is not very high.

I did consider taking the RYA course but thought if I could find a hire skipper/ boat buddie the tuition would be better.

I'm not even sure if I will be able to lock through on my own efficiently and swing bridges scare the hell out of me,

time will tell......there could be some irate queues!

Thanks again and good luck.

• Greenie 1

9 minutes ago, 69intheshade said:

Thank you for your kind and humorous reply.

Although I've had boats in Spain, Ireland, and on the tidal River Medway I only ever locked twice both times manned and electrically operated.

My narrowboat is 57ft long and beside being solo I now suffer with Multiple Sclerosis so confidence is not very high.

I did consider taking the RYA course but thought if I could find a hire skipper/ boat buddie the tuition would be better.

I'm not even sure if I will be able to lock through on my own efficiently and swing bridges scare the hell out of me,

time will tell......there could be some irate queues!

Thanks again and good luck.

Worry not, we and most other long term boaters always help others out at locks/bridges etc etc, especialy if infirm or single handed. If anyone is in a hurry and getting irate take zero notice oif them and let them pass you wherever possible, they are usualy Audi or Bmw drivers, irate because they cannot afford a decent car.

1 minute ago, mrsmelly said:

Worry not, we and most other long term boaters always help others out at locks/bridges etc etc, especialy if infirm or single handed. If anyone is in a hurry and getting irate take zero notice oif them and let them pass you wherever possible, they are usualy Audi or Bmw drivers, irate because they cannot afford a decent car.

Thank you, much appreciated.

20 hours ago, 69intheshade said:

There are only eleven (I think) manually operated locks between Mercia Marina and Goole. The rest and all but a few of the smaller swing/lift bridges are electrically operated. Some of the locks are huge! If you are looking for narrowboat helming and lock use help and time for the tutor is limited, then the best time would be the first day or two from Mercia to Nottingham. That will cover the six manual locks of the Trent and Mersey, plus another three or so getting to Nottingham. You'll also experience both canals and non tidal rivers. One of the locks will also be electrically operated (Sawley). This gives you some experience with everything for the rest of the trip, except tidal rivers, which you are already familiar with. The Trent locks down from Nottingham are big and keeper operated during the day The tidal locks at Cromwell and Keadby have CaRT employed lock keepers, rather than volunteers and can advise on the best times for the tides. I usually do the tidal stretch in two short days, breaking overnight at Torksey to make as much use of the tidal flow in my favour. From Keadby to Goole, there is some manual, or semi manual operation of the locks and bridges and some automagic. From the New Junction to Goole it is all powered. I'd advise going this way for your first trip, rather than carrying down the Trent to Trent Falls and up the Ouse to Goole.

Jen

• Greenie 1

The benefit of 'doing the Trent' in this direction is that it all downstream so the lock-emptying is fairly 'calm'. Going 'up' can be a bit bumpy and the Lockies normally insist that both bow and stern lines are used (not easy for a singlehander). going down will be OK with just a bow and centre line used if you stand 'amidships'

The Trent locks are 'huge and deep' and you actually use a 'slider' to descend (don't tie off or loop over the bollards as you probably will not have enough line)

Simply motor alongside the lock wall and the sliders are set-back into the wall (thick wire covered in Blue plastic pipe), loop your lines around the slider and back on board and allow it to 'slide' down the slider as you descend.

Explain to the Lockie you are singlehanded and they'll take it slowly for you.

If you have VHF the Trent lockies are all on Channel 74 so you can call them up 10 - 15 minutes before arrival and they will either tell you to slow down as they are already penning up/down. or will say come 'straight in on the green, the gates will be Open for you'

There is a traffic light system at each lock.

Green means OK to enter

Amber means "no lockie - self operate"

Red means lock in use, wait !!!

You can get about 20+ narrowboats in the lock, and when you are in alone they seem huge.

You can see the blue-sliders in the 2nd picture.

Image result for cromwell lockImage result for cromwell lock

20 minutes ago, Jen-in-Wellies said:

There are only eleven (I think) manually operated locks between Mercia Marina and Goole. The rest and all but a few of the smaller swing/lift bridges are electrically operated. Some of the locks are huge! If you are looking for narrowboat helming and lock use help and time for the tutor is limited, then the best time would be the first day or two from Mercia to Nottingham. That will cover the six manual locks of the Trent and Mersey, plus another three or so getting to Nottingham. You'll also experience both canals and non tidal rivers. One of the locks will also be electrically operated (Sawley). This gives you some experience with everything for the rest of the trip, except tidal rivers, which you are already familiar with. The Trent locks down from Nottingham are big and keeper operated during the day The tidal locks at Cromwell and Keadby have CaRT employed lock keepers, rather than volunteers and can advise on the best times for the tides. I usually do the tidal stretch in two short days, breaking overnight at Torksey to make as much use of the tidal flow in my favour. From Keadby to Goole, there is some manual, or semi manual operation of the locks and bridges and some automagic. From the New Junction to Goole it is all powered. I'd advise going this way for your first trip, rather than carrying down the Trent to Trent Falls and up the Ouse to Goole.

Jen

Wow Jen, thank you for that really detailed advice, there's a lot more to it than I initially envisaged!

I am also considering road transport and can't decide which way to go when the purchase is completed.

Fortunately the broker is giving me two weeks grace on their moorings so I have time to sort it out.

Thanks again, really appreciated.

9 minutes ago, Alan de Enfield said:

The benefit of 'doing the Trent' in this direction is that it all downstream so the lock-emptying is fairly 'calm'. Going 'up' can be a bit bumpy and the Lockies normally insist that both bow and stern lines are used (not easy for a singlehander). going down will be OK with just a bow and centre line used if you stand 'amidships'

The Trent locks are 'huge and deep' and you actually use a 'slider' to descend (don't tie off or loop over the bollards as you probably will not have enough line)

Simply motor alongside the lock wall and the sliders are set-back into the wall (thick wire covered in Blue plastic pipe), loop your lines around the slider and back on board and allow it to 'slide' down the slider as you descend.

Explain to the Lockie you are singlehanded and they'll take it slowly for you.

If you have VHF the Trent lockies are all on Channel 74 so you can call them up 10 - 15 minutes before arrival and they will either tell you to slow down as they are already penning up/down. or will say come 'straight in on the green, the gates will be Open for you'

There is a traffic light system at each lock.

Green means OK to enter

Amber means "no lockie - self operate"

Red means lock in use, wait !!!

You can get about 20+ narrowboats in the lock, and when you are in alone they seem huge.

You can see the blue-sliders in the 2nd picture.

Image result for cromwell lockImage result for cromwell lock

Thank you for your advice and photos, really helpful.

I've still to complete the purchase and the brokers are giving me two weeks grace on their moorings.

I'm still considering road transport as an option especially as I now realise my ignorance! Hah!

Cheers

15 minutes ago, 69intheshade said:

Thank you for your advice and photos, really helpful.

I've still to complete the purchase and the brokers are giving me two weeks grace on their moorings.

I'm still considering road transport as an option especially as I now realise my ignorance! Hah!

Cheers

No - if you have the time, go for it.

The 1st couple or three days are dead simple "canal" work and gives you an opportunity to learn without there being any major safety risks.

Far better to learn in that environment that getting to Goole and being on a big tidal river.

2 hours ago, Alan de Enfield said:

No - if you have the time, go for it.

The 1st couple or three days are dead simple "canal" work and gives you an opportunity to learn without there being any major safety risks.

Far better to learn in that environment that getting to Goole and being on a big tidal river.

I've had lots of wonderful replies on this site and am grateful to everyone for the advice.

I'll hire a skipper/tutor as I'm not even sure I can work locks and bridges due to a  condition I have,

a journey of this duration with an experienced person will help me determine if owning a narrowboat is possible, or even sensible!

The marina I'm heading to lies on the Knottingley and Goole Canal which I think leads into the Aire and Calder Navigation,

I'll stay well clear of the River Humber!

Thanks again and cheers

• Greenie 1