Sofa bed for 2 berth, 50 foot narrowboat

Michelle Johnson

Featured Posts

Hi.  We've just bought our first canal boat which, currently, has 2 arm chairs in the saloon.  On the odd occasion when we might have guests, however, we'd like to replace this with a small sofa bed.  As space is limited, however, some advice on the best for this would be appreciated.  I have read about the haru small sofa bed; is it any good?

Thanks

Michelle

This is for sale through the forum...

https://www.canalworld.net/forums/index.php?/topic/102322-ikea-two-seater-sofa-bed/

We had one on a boat for a while and it was fine for occasional use as a bed and comfortable as a sofa.

I made arms out of lumps of upholstered foam to make it comfier as it came with floppy pillow type things iirc.

I've no connection to the one advertised btw, just commenting on ours.

20 minutes ago, Michelle Johnson said:

Hi.  We've just bought our first canal boat which, currently, has 2 arm chairs in the saloon.  On the odd occasion when we might have guests, however, we'd like to replace this with a small sofa bed.  As space is limited, however, some advice on the best for this would be appreciated.  I have read about the haru small sofa bed; is it any good?

Thanks

Michelle

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

Whatever you buy, just make sure it will fit in through the door....

11 minutes ago, Stilllearning said:

Hi, and welcome to the Forum.

Whatever you buy, just make sure it will fit in through the door....

... and be short enough open into a bed.

I nearly bought a Nabru sofa bed but it was a couple of inches too long when it opened out to fit across the saloon .... and the diagonal was similarly a couple of inches too long to turn it around for use at night (assuming we could have lifted it).

• Greenie 1

We originally had two Elite single chairs that made up into a bed. After a few years we changed to an Elite sofa bed and this works better for us. And the dogs like the space between us too as it’s 2m long. 

When we have guests on board, we use it and let the visitors use the cross bed. We’re near the galley 

then for the morning cuppa!

2 hours ago, Westyman said:

We originally had two Elite single chairs that made up into a bed. After a few years we changed to an Elite sofa bed and this works better for us. And the dogs like the space between us too as it’s 2m long. 

When we have guests on board, we use it and let the visitors use the cross bed. We’re near the galley 

then for the morning cuppa!

Personally I found that maker's chairs to be poorly designed with lower than expected quality upholstery. Once bitten etc., not for me.

• Greenie 1

Have a look/search for a 'Sofa beds' thread from 2015. I'm in there and refer back to a previous thread. The Texas is still listed by Benson. Ours is around 7/8 years old and is still (fair weather boaters) in 'as new' condition - very happy with it (on our 50ft cruiser 2 fixed berth).

We went to see the Texas in Bensons yesterday and love it.  However, we are just worried about the length for our small saloon.  As such, we are going to go armed with tape measures today to see if it works.  Thanks for hint, however, and we did see a smaller sofa bed that we liked in Bensons too but not sure we would be able to get it through the hatch.

As you probably saw, the Texas makes a (nominal) 6' x 4' small double.  To make life easy (for them) they just stick it in a cardboard box very slightly bigger than that (and about a foot thick).  We've got a short front deck and double front doors so it came in that way no probs  - just check its the right way round before you screw the legs on!.  The biggest footprint, once it is in position, is the 6x4 so if you can lie down on the floor, it should fit.  

Nice one - as with the Texas, it sits on legs rather than the base sitting down on the floor.  Provides valuable additional storage space.  We store a chunky outdoor, two singles or one double sleeping bag in a stuff bag plus two folding chairs (in bags) plus bed linen [and some kindling.

Frame design is different ie one leg at each corner and the frame extends back beyond the base so it does not require the extra legs that this one uses.  Looks well padded though.

I also have Texas sofa bed. It has some pro points in that it is very strong, easy to clean and a fair amount of storage underneath. Folds out in seconds with no fuss, great! On the other hand it's not the most comfortable though adding layers on top helps with this.

Thank you everyone.  I think we have sorted out our sofabed problem.  We did love the Texas one but ended up going with smaller sofabed (Haru, although Bensons sell a simlar one in velvet - very nice) as the space would be too tight in our saloon with a Texas sofa.  Our boat has a breakfast bar which adds to the space issue.  But thank you for your advice.